It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&O RR Museum Exec Director To Step Down
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From the Museum's press release--sorry I don't have a news website to link to, and it's not at their website press release page yet, or this would go to Flimsies:

Quote:
Museum officials announced today that Courtney B. Wilson, the longtime executive director of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in Baltimore, will resign from his position in Fall 2018 to pursue consulting and other opportunities in the non-profit and museum world.

Wilson came to the B&O in April 1997 as chief curator. Following his predecessor’s [John Hankey] departure in 1999, he was selected as the new executive director in January 2000. He is best known for leading the effort to rebuild and restore the museum and its collections following the tragic roof collapse of the museum’s roundhouse roof during a 2003 snow storm. The event became a turning point in the modern history of the museum.

Under Wilson’s leadership, the museum expanded its exhibition space more than three-fold, broadened its focus on education, expanded the visitor base, outreach to the community, and established collegial relationships with railway museums across the world. The B&O just completed a master plan, which will guide the institution for the next decade and beyond.

“For over 20 years I have enjoyed the opportunities and challenges of this great job, working with a supportive and active board, a talented staff, and wonderful volunteers to grow this wonderful museum into what it is today. I feel that now is the right time to identify new leadership to continue to move the museum forward. I look forward to continuing my work in other history and heritage arenas,” Wilson says.

“Courtney is the face of our Museum. We will miss his steady hand at the tiller but he will always be a resource for us. The timing of this announcement allows us to inject new leadership and enthusiasm at the start of our master plan and to ensure that a succession-planning process will be deliberate and seamless until the best qualified candidate is secured and a smooth transition follows,” says Francis Smyth, chair of the board of directors.

The B&O has appointed a search committee and has retained the Durakis Executive Search firm to lead the effort to identify the museum’s next leader.