It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greg Kamholz passes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 am 

Over on Trainorders, Jim Abney wrote a very thoughtful remembrance of his lifetime friend Greg Kamholz who has recently died.

Both were engineers together for decades and had hired out on the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Ry. It was during this period in the mid 1960's that they both got the opportunity to be steam fireman on a tourist road that used SP&S rails. This was the Vernonia, South Park and Sunset Steam RR, just West of Portland, OR.

Greg and Jim had both been engineers on former SP&S 4-8-4 700 and had made most of the operations with her.

Greg was a co-author of a book on the Oregon-American Lumber Company. One of their locomotives was 2-6-2 105, the very same one that was later used on the tourist operation. Not a casual read, this effort shows tremendous research.

I knew Greg a little, he did me a solid back in 1969 right after I was discharged from the USAF. I was up in Portland looking for work and got an invite from the late Jack Holst to go with him out to Banks where the VSP&SSRR steam was kept as they had plans that day to fire up former Pickering Lbr. Co. 90-3 Shay 8. At one point, I blurted out "can I run it"? Greg smiled and stood beside me as I made 2 or 3 trips through the yard and up the little hill. He made a friend that day & I reminded him of his kindness many years later when we crossed paths again.

He was a real master at his craft

Post subject: Re: Greg Kamholz passes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:55 am 

Here is a link to the aforementioned obit:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4493182