It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trying to save the 503
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:33 pm 

Scranton Yard wrote:
Some good insight from the publisher of the Port Arthur News:

http://www.panews.com/2018/03/19/woulda-shoulda-coulda-engine-503/

Wow. That is very well said. I have a feeling that most residents would feel the same way too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 pm 

Looks like the City should have its bid by next Monday for moving 503 so that the TCEQ-mandated abatement can be completed by the revised deadline of 4-20. It will be interesting to see what the total cost of the abatement will turn out to be when the relocation of 503 is included.

http://www.portarthurtx.gov/bids.aspx?bidID=57

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 pm 

There is a fairly decent chance of an inexperienced vendor doing a LOT of damage to 503 to move her. Dropped brasses, bent and broken frame bits, torched rods, who knows what.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 am 

What would be the responsible technique for moving the engine ahead on new track? What would be done in consideration of the fact that the pistons may be frozen in the cylinders?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 pm 

Ron Travis wrote:
What would be the responsible technique for moving the engine ahead on new track? What would be done in consideration of the fact that the pistons may be frozen in the cylinders?

Pulling the main rods and eccentrics would be a good start, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:09 pm 

If you listened to the whole 90 minute City Council meeting you'll recall that the local "expert" contractor called upon to comment said that one way they could move it off the ground that's needed to be remediated is to build some pallet track and if the wheels won't turn " grease the rails real good and slide it over".

Guess if they "grease the rails real good" that ought to work??

Bottom line is that they will end up paying some local who hasn't a clue what he's doing a good bit more that the original all in $ 23K contract with Inland just to get it moved off the current pad and then they'll need to pay someone to remediate the ground.

And so it goes.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:23 pm 

co614 wrote:
...local "expert" contractor called upon to comment said that one way they could move it off the ground... ... if the wheels won't turn " grease the rails real good and slide it over".

Ross Rowland

What will he do if he tries to move it and the wheels do turn?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 pm 

Well, in that case.... I’m sure they’ll chain it up to an excavator or a dozer and just yank or push, maybe both. If it doesn’t go easy, they’ll try harder. I don’t imagine they’d take the time to do it as someone with knowledge of steam locomotives would. I’d prepare for a somewhat painful show of force.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 pm 

I guess what I am asking is this: If you move the locomotive and the wheels turn, what are the likely consequences of letting the pistons move in the cylinders in their current condition after standing on display since 1957?

For that matter, how likely is it for the pistons to be free enough to move when applying pulling force to the locomotive?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:25 pm 

Ron Travis wrote:
For that matter, how likely is it for the pistons to be free enough to move when applying pulling force to the locomotive?

That's a valid question and good enough reason in my opinion, to remove the main rods and eccentrics. Then again, am I just being overly cautious for such a short move? I think it’s probably the best precaution to take when it comes to pistons and valve gear that haven’t been exercised or maintained for a considerable period of time. One factor specific to 503, is the possibility of water incursion from flood waters.

Last edited by Mount Royal on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 pm 

If a local contractor gets the job I am sure that Jason will be there as a "pro bono" consultant to make sure that the job is done so the 503 is not irreversibly damaged.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 pm 

If the rods get pulled, will they go to the work to get them back on when done?

One valid question is, if the wheels DO turn, and the pistons aren't so tight as speculated, and the thing starts to roll......uncontrolled..... It's a real bad thing to just assume it can't possibly roll free just because it hasn't moved in many years......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
If the rods get pulled, will they go to the work to get them back on when done?

If the right people handle the move, yes. If not, I wouldn’t expect them to be removed in the first place.

Pegasuspinto wrote:
One valid question is, if the wheels DO turn, and the pistons aren't so tight as speculated, and the thing starts to roll......uncontrolled..... It's a real bad thing to just assume it can't possibly roll free just because it hasn't moved in many years......

If she rolls freely, I don’t believe she’ll go far.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:09 am 

'far' is relative. Over someone's leg and/or into the street is far enough to cause chaos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:58 am 

I am sure that they will use equipment capable of pulling the locomotive and stopping it. Either the drivers will turn or they won't. If they turn, I doubt there will be any concern about the piston/cylinder interaction or any consequence. If the drivers won't turn, they will grease the rails and slide the locomotive. As I understand it, this will happen soon.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next