It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KCS #503 in jeopardy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm 

PMC wrote:
Could the city be convinced to trade it for a shiny cosmetically restored saddletanker or such, and maybe a caboose, I doubt they would care about authenticity.

Who knows with the City admin? The mayor is up for re-election.

I don’t think authenticity is even in their vocabulary as far as trains go. The city had an opportunity to have a real KCS engine but did not move quickly enough before KCS scrapped the bulk of their steam. By the time the city expressed interest, they were all out of steam. They did however have some L&A engines left, which is what they got. They lettered her up as KCS and sent her to town.

I would be interested to hear what their intentions are regarding it.

There is only one authentic KCS steam engine left. That would be 0-8-0 #1023.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:07 pm 

I quite frankly am still furious about the course of events that saving and proposing to restore this engine took. And I still can't help but believe that a particular member here was instrumental in stinging the city administration to do 'damage control' -- not that I believe the little weasels ever intended anything but cutting up the 503 on the sly. Whatever the situation, something has to be done, and reasonably soon, about the situation.

I'd be sorely tempted to find someone... anyone... who lives in Port Arthur who could sue the city about the 503 being an eyesore, unremediated hazard -- think of the children! that little fence won't keep them off -- and get to the point that the threat of judgment either makes them finish their little local project to cosmetically restore the engine, or makes it expedient to sell it to someone that will do something with it. Considering that an election campaign is supposed to be in progress, the time to start 'community organizing' might be now.

Alternatively, we could reach out to the locals, including those who stepped up to the plate to 'take over' ownership of the locomotive, and use the community-organizing techniques to induce them to get the job finished. The problem then boils down to where they'd find the money... and it's up to them to arrange to finance the thing, not the 'greater railfan community', after what has happened.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:25 pm 

Overmod wrote:
I quite frankly am still furious about the course of events that saving and proposing to restore this engine took. And I still can't help but believe that a particular member here was instrumental in stinging the city administration to do 'damage control' -- not that I believe the little weasels ever intended anything but cutting up the 503 on the sly. Whatever the situation, something has to be done, and reasonably soon, about the situation.

I'd be sorely tempted to find someone... anyone... who lives in Port Arthur who could sue the city about the 503 being an eyesore, unremediated hazard -- think of the children! that little fence won't keep them off -- and get to the point that the threat of judgment either makes them finish their little local project to cosmetically restore the engine, or makes it expedient to sell it to someone that will do something with it. Considering that an election campaign is supposed to be in progress, the time to start 'community organizing' might be now.

Alternatively, we could reach out to the locals, including those who stepped up to the plate to 'take over' ownership of the locomotive, and use the community-organizing techniques to induce them to get the job finished. The problem then boils down to where they'd find the money... and it's up to them to arrange to finance the thing, not the 'greater railfan community', after what has happened.

I was born in Port Arthur and raised just next door in Groves. 503 blends in quite effectively with the rest of “old” Port Arthur. I’d hate to see what they call blight. Few people if any will look twice if they even notice the engine at all. Port Arthur turned its back on itself and just developed further inland. Port Arthur wasn’t much to look at in the 80’s and time (and weather) haven’t done the area any favors. Sad. Someone needs to somehow plant the idea of donation in their minds in such a manner that shines good light on them.