It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locomotive Assignment Rosters for Iowa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:25 pm 

How do I find Locomotive Assignment Rosters for the following railroads in Iowa: Chicago and Northwestern, Milwaukee Road and Illinois Central primarily through the 1970's until around 1980 or so. I am trying to continue following historical power on some (mostly abandoned) lines through to their final or present disposition. In some cases I am having trouble locating the historic power to follow.

Post subject: Re: Locomotive Assignment Rosters for Iowa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm 

I doubt there is any centralized collection of such data, I may be wrong though, the railroads certainly had that info at the time. Not the easy, exhaustive method I think you have in mind, but one way to get a rough idea is to go to sources of locomotive photos and then enter a search for Iowa and the particular railroad. For example, here is Milwaukee Road photos for Iowa from one particular site (edit: I can't copy the link, but just enter "Milwaukee Road" and "Iowa" in the appropriate boxes and you will get around 100 results): http://www.railpictures.net/

There is also a closed facebook group, Milwaukee Road in Iowa, that has tons of photos:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/447195798639547/