It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Missing 0-4-0T
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 am 

As recently as 1993 there were reports of an H.C. Frick Coke Co. 0-4-0T (H.K. Porter 7998 of 1946) operational at the Shoaf Coke Plant in Fairchance, PA. By 2008, it was reported as being stored in "excellent condition" in a structure at the plant. Later that year it was offered for sale on railswap.org.

Now, the structure is reportedly gone, and the locomotive nowhere to be seen. Any ideas where it might be?

Post subject: Re: Another Missing 0-4-0T
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 am 

Perhaps Elon Musk shot it to Mars? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 am 

There's a flooded quarry not to far from here, I'll go look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 pm 

I haven't found anything on the Porter, but a group rescued a Plymouth out of that complex about six years ago (I recall seeing something about the Plymouth on RyPN):

http://americanindustrialmining.com/sho ... eservation

I doubt they have the Porter, or they would have featured it prominently on their website, but I would bet they would know something about it. I am attempting to make contact to see if they have any leads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 pm 

Spoke to Pete Jedlicka of the American Industrial Mining Co preservation group, he says the Porter sat in the same building as the Plymouth and was fired up for the family of the private individual who owns it up until a few years before they rescued the Plymouth. The private individual, whom they are in contact with, relocated it to either North Carolina or South Carolina a few years before they rescued the Plymouth, he is digging up the exact information so you can update the listing and will get it to me when he does. He also said that almost everything is still in place at the Shoaf Coke Plant, 46 years after it closed. Here is a video of it two years before it closed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cfa2TFhKuE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 am 

Is there any hope that the C&O hopper car at Shoaf can be saved? It's a twin offset alternate standard design with oval heap shields. I saw it several months ago and it was in rough, but savable condition. C&O had thousands of similar cars, but this may be the only one still in existence.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:45 am 

Tom Davidson wrote:
Is there any hope that the C&O hopper car at Shoaf can be saved? It's a twin offset alternate standard design with oval heap shields. I saw it several months ago and it was in rough, but savable condition. C&O had thousands of similar cars, but this may be the only one still in existence.

Tom

I agree about its significance, I will ask about it if I get the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:10 am 

PMC wrote:
Spoke to Pete Jedlicka of the American Industrial Mining Co preservation group, he says the Porter sat in the same building as the Plymouth and was fired up for the family of the private individual who owns it up until a few years before they rescued the Plymouth. The private individual, whom they are in contact with, relocated it to either North Carolina or South Carolina a few years before they rescued the Plymouth, he is digging up the exact information so you can update the listing and will get it to me when he does. He also said that almost everything is still in place at the Shoaf Coke Plant, 46 years after it closed. Here is a video of it two years before it closed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cfa2TFhKuE

Any further word on this? I am updating the site this week and collided with this one, again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:17 pm 

PMC wrote:
Tom Davidson wrote:

Tom

I agree about its significance, I will ask about it if I get the chance.

Would also like current info on the C&O hopper car there at Shoaf. Is it still there? Available for donation?

Les