It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big News from Dillsboro: GMSR restoring Sou 722
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:50 pm 

Relaying information from their Facebook

“BREAKING NEWS: Great Smoky Mountains Railroad is pleased to announced that work has begun to restore the historic Southern Railway steam engine, 722. Stay tuned for more info and updates on the progress of this American treasure.”

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4874614722

Post subject: Re: Big News from Dillsboro: GMSR restoring Sou 722
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:59 pm 

Holy balls it’s finally happening.

I never thought I’d see the day

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:04 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Now starting the popcorn, and taking bets on how long before someone insists they:

1) are doing it wrong, or:

2) hired a "wrong"/incompetent/crooked contractor to do the work or supply the parts.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:58 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Now starting the popcorn, and taking bets on how long before someone insists they:

2) hired a "wrong"/incompetent/crooked contractor to do the work or supply the parts.

Did anyone say they were "doing it wrong" or hired a "wrong" person to work on 1702? Just curious...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:34 am 

That loco will always be ET&WNC 208, for me. When she's running, I'll for sure be heading there!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:37 am 

You missed one:

3) complains about the proposed paint scheme

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:25 am 

It was SOU before ETWNC..! Glad to see it finally receiving some attention. Wonder how far they will go with the rebuild

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
bigjim4life wrote:

Did anyone say they were "doing it wrong" or hired a "wrong" person to work on 1702? Just curious...

It wasn't here as I recall, but there was the usual "why didn't they send it to Strasburg?' fanboy-whining on other forums that I saw, then and now.

So who actually DID the 1702 overhaul?

722 may end up being another issue. As I recall (possibly wrongly), there was an earlier attempt in the 1990s to "fire up 722" when it was in Asheville, and then the GSMR bought it in 2000(?), disassembled it, and "have left it in pieces all over the place for twenty years now".................. and there is apparently a name someone could choose to invoke as personally responsible for the outcome up to the present, but I'm not one of those people who think one person is the "do or die" of any steam operation or shop.........

https://web.archive.org/web/20201112031 ... n-722.aspx

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:56 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:

It wasn't here as I recall, but there was the usual "why didn't they send it to Strasburg?' fanboy-whining on other forums that I saw, then and now.

So who actually DID the 1702 overhaul?

722 may end up being another issue. As I recall (possibly wrongly), there was an earlier attempt in the 1990s to "fire up 722" when it was in Asheville, and then the GSMR bought it in 2000(?), disassembled it, and "have left it in pieces all over the place for twenty years now".................. and there is apparently a name someone could choose to invoke as personally responsible for the outcome up to the present, but I'm not one of those people who think one person is the "do or die" of any steam operation or shop.........

https://web.archive.org/web/20201112031 ... n-722.aspx

I believe Steam Services of America (Robert Franzen) was involved on the boiler overhaul of 1702 in 2016. I don't know how much work was done to 1702's running gear, but I am quite sure 722 needs a lot more running gear work.

1702's return was well done and timely. I have no doubt 722's will be the same. It will be good to have Southern steam on the Murphy Branch again.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:02 pm 

Note that GSMR is under the same corporate umbrella as D&S, giving them very powerful "in-house" technical expertise to help in decision making. So, probably not much drama going forward, resulting in a successful restoration.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:00 pm 

southern154 wrote:
I believe Steam Services of America (Robert Franzen) was involved on the boiler overhaul of 1702 in 2016. I don't know how much work was done to 1702's running gear, but I am quite sure 722 needs a lot more running gear work.

1702's return was well done and timely. I have no doubt 722's will be the same. It will be good to have Southern steam on the Murphy Branch again.

1702’s wheels went to TVRM. I agree, the 722 is in good and capable hands.

I was so thrilled to see the 1702 get a “Southern” makeover last year - I’m so excited about the 722!!!! Maybe they can borrow 630 for a reunion one day!? I can dream.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:28 pm 

I wonder what whistle it’ll wear?……..

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:57 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Note that GSMR is under the same corporate umbrella as D&S, giving them very powerful "in-house" technical expertise to help in decision making

D&SNG engines cover about 92 miles on each round trip to Silverton, so I assume their locomotives are the hardest worked steam fleet in the US.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:20 pm 

Has it been mentioned yet that it will be converted to run on oil?: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... operation/

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:56 pm 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're going to burn oil; that's where steam is going these days. It makes sense once you realize their 1702 was converted to burn oil in the 40s, right after the Army sold her off. Having the same fueling requirements of any other steam locomotive they own is very smart.
I love the smell of coal smoke when a steam locomotive is operating, but it's their loco, and they can do whatever they want with it.
ctjacks wrote:
You missed one:
3) complains about the proposed paint scheme

Yeah, 722 has worn, I think, the following:
1. Original paint and configuration with the high headlight.
2. Black with gold letters (essentially, what 630 looks like today)
3. ET&WNC silver smokebox front and gold road name and number of 208
4. Green and gold, to match 4501 at the time
After? I've only seen a few shots and video of 722 once she left TVRM (well after SRR dropped her and 630 from the program) and I've only seen her in green and gold, did she wear any other paint or markings after wearing SRR green and gold?

Frankly, I'm so happy to have any former ET&WNC locomotive running, that she could be painted in Hello Kitty markings and it'd still be much better than how she is right now! I'd like to think we can all at least agree with that.
I wouldn't bet much against them putting her in GSMR markings like 1702 currently has, as seen in this shot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smoky_Mountains_Railroad_1702#/media/File:GSMR_1702_at_Bryson_City,_NC_-_June_18,_2022.jpg