It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doe River George Getting a Crown Steamer?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 pm 

Jennie K wrote:
None of the 36" Crowns were ever built to burn coal, Monroe built those boilers to be fired with propane. I don't know if there is going to be enough grate area to maintain steam using coal.

Yeah, me neither. I remember taking a lot of time watching the ones at Six Gun Territory in Ocala one weekend and even as a kid at the time, I could tell they were propane fired. Took a good look at one of the same ones later when it was in Atlanta and noticed how the fireboxes looked on the inside. I couldn't imagine firing one with coal, but I don't profess to be any type of steam expert.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 pm 

I used to run a 3' gauge Crown at an amusement park in Tempe, AZ. From what I understand, we had the very first 3' engine Crown ever built, in around 1962-3.

It was built as a coal burner. There are 8mm movies shot of the Golden Spike Ceremony showing it burning coal.

It was converted to oil firing fairly soon after they started running.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm 

To answer a couple of questions: 1) she was built as an oil burner; 2) we are converting her to coal because it is easier & cheaper for us to use; 3) we are aware of the Crowns' poor steaming in some situations, and are rebuilding the smokebox (added 18" length), and also adding a new, Porta-style blast pipe, new design petticoat pipe, new table plate & screens. The paint scheme is somewhat based on the Eureka, and also the early "Baldwin Paint Scheme #1", which will include wheels patterned after (but not identical to) Baldwin's design for their early drive wheels. The photo of the wheels is by Cody Cagle, who is in charge of the rebuilding of the Crown. The design & painting is by volunteer Randy Holland, who has been donating much of his work. Randy & Cody did most of the painting of the wheels. The cab was built & installed by Jerry Turbyfill, Vice President of the ET&WNC Historical Society.

Attachments:
36811974_10210259064508117_9126960475009974272_n.jpg
36811974_10210259064508117_9126960475009974272_n.jpg [ 164.83 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:21 am 

Phil Raynes wrote:
To answer a couple of questions: 1) she was built as an oil burner; 2) we are converting her to coal because it is easier & cheaper for us to use; 3) we are aware of the Crowns' poor steaming in some situations, and are rebuilding the smokebox (added 18" length), and also adding a new, Porta-style blast pipe, new design petticoat pipe, new table plate & screens.

Did you guys have your blast pipe engineered, or did you use a design from a locomotive of similar size?

Is Al (forgetting his last name, guy who worked on Rachel) still around?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am 

Phil Raynes wrote:
To answer a couple of questions: 1) she was built as an oil burner; 2) we are converting her to coal because it is easier & cheaper for us to use; 3) we are aware of the Crowns' poor steaming in some situations, and are rebuilding the smokebox (added 18" length), and also adding a new, Porta-style blast pipe, new design petticoat pipe, new table plate & screens.

Sweet! Any photos of the new exhaust arrangement will be greatly appreciated.