It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another wood B&M wood coach in MA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 pm 

Check it out yourselves on Google Maps 125 lakeview ave, tyngsboro MA

Post subject: Re: another wood B&M wood coach in MA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 pm 

That coach has been there for at least 25+ years. The yard used to be littered with park train carcasses and other remnants - but those disappeared years ago.

I heard that the owner wants to sell it, but thinks its got more value than it does. It is probably getting to the point of no return - especially considering its location will make trucking it out of there very expensive.

I'm more concerned about the two wooden B&M coaches on the former Old Colony and Newport in Rhode Island. That operation disappeared off the map, and I haven't heard anything about where its equipment may be headed. They would have to be trucked (or barged) off Aquidneck Island.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 pm 

elecuyer wrote:
That coach has been there for at least 25+ years. The yard used to be littered with park train carcasses and other remnants - but those disappeared years ago.

I heard that the owner wants to sell it, but thinks its got more value than it does. It is probably getting to the point of no return - especially considering its location will make trucking it out of there very expensive.

I'm more concerned about the two wooden B&M coaches on the former Old Colony and Newport in Rhode Island. That operation disappeared off the map, and I haven't heard anything about where its equipment may be headed. They would have to be trucked (or barged) off Aquidneck Island.

1702 wrote:

The operation is now the Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad. http://trainsri.com

Try this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:01 pm 

The Newport & Narragansett Bay Railroad is the successor to the separate Newport Dinner Train. The N&NB is owned/operated by the Seaview Railroad - which is a freight hauler/switching railroad in North Kingston, RI - operating on the former Quonset Point military base.

The OC&N and Newport Dinner Train were completely separate operations, but shared the same track. The former was a volunteer based non-profit, the latter a for-profit tourist train.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:40 pm 

Hi
I do have one question, does anyone happen to know what was the coach number of the coach in question? And a current photo would be nice also, Thanks, Pat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:23 am 

Pat Fahey wrote:
Hi
I do have one question, does anyone happen to know what was the coach number of the coach in question? And a current photo would be nice also, Thanks, Pat.

Our group has expressed interest in this car to our contacts in the B&M society in Lowell. They've previously contacted the owner, and say the same as elecuyer, that the owner wants far more for the carcass than it is worth (to the society). I don't know what its road number was, but it was probably part of the 30-car order that our car and the combine in Lowell belong to also. That would make this basket case at least a source of spare parts. I'd certainly like to replace missing parts for our car in Contoocook NH, such as the missing buffers, signal line parts, and many interior parts if they were available.