It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Hope & Ivyland 40
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:45 am 

Overmod wrote:
Quote:
rem1028 wrote:

Also wonderful to read that the NH & I is interested in evaluating 1533 for restoration, at long last.

Where is that said? I don't remember seeing anything about that.

It's said in one of the 6 replies to the first comment listed for the video ... strangely enough, coming from someone claiming to be you:

Quote:
Once they're done working on #40 over the winter, and she's up and running next year with no issues, then they plan to check out said ten-wheeler to see if a restoration is worth it...

And I (not rem1028) got it from the Instagram account that I posted from above. I believe I saw it elsewhere as well, but can't find the source (probably the official Facebook page or thereabouts) at the moment.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post subject: Re: New Hope & Ivyland 40
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 am 

I would caution everyone to not get too excited about the NH&I restoring another steamer as they just finished the extensive ( and very expensive) rebuild of 2-8-0 # 40.

They have purposely set up this years Santa season so that the steam led trains are priced about 20% above the exact same ( except for locomotive) diesel led trains. This is being done to find out if the general public is willing to pay a premium for steam.

This railroad ( and many others ) have learned by doing that their general excursion trains can be run substantially cheaper using diesels and the open question is are the Santa/Christmas trains strongly enough associated with the steam engine that the public will pay a premium. This seasons sales will tell a lot.

I wouldn't say that the 1533 will never run again,.... but I think there's zero chance it will happen anytime soon.

IMHO-Ross Rowland