It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want a SEPTA AEM7 or Silverliner III?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:11 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
https://www5.septa.org/business/procure ... louis-car/

Quote:
Sale of 8 AEM Locomotives and/or 1 SLIII St. Louis Car
Item DDK183052136

The scrapping and full removal of 8 retired AEM Locomotives and/or 1 retired SLIII St. Louis Car in “As Is” condition. All Rolling Stock are located at SEPTA’s Frazer Shop at 32 Sproul Road, Route 352, Frazer, PA 19355. Dismantling may occur onsite prior to removal. Removal of the Rolling Stock will be the responsibility of the company awarded the offering and included in their purchase offer.

You must submit your bid in a sealed envelope with your Company’s name and address, SEPTA bid number, and Bid Title, clearly identified on the exterior of the envelope, and mailed or hand-delivered to:

SouthEastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) Procurement & Supply Chain Management Department Attn: Matthew Dooner – Contract Administrator 1234 Market Street, 11th Floor Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107

Email: mdooner@septa.org
Phone: 215-580-7156

Category: ePS Bids & RFPs

Post subject: Re: Want a SEPTA AEM7 or Silverliner III?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:52 pm 

That Saint Louis Car needs to be preserved. I've already emailed a few people at SEPTA about it since I've seen this.

I will assume that RRMPA didn't want it, or it would likely be there already. Anyone know if the St. Louis Museum wants a Silverliner III?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:42 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
mcgrath618 wrote:
I will assume that RRMPA didn't want it, or it would likely be there already. Anyone know if the St. Louis Museum wants a Silverliner III?

Do not assume.

The RR Museum of Pa. is forbidden from directly requesting items appropriate to its mission. The responsibility of getting items to the Museum falls on either willing donors or the Friends of the Museum organization. Someone has to offer it to the Museum, whether they bought it for them or are trying to get rid of it. And even then, for whatever curatorial reasons, they may decline it (it's a stripped shell, they have another one somewhere else being offered, whatever). And it's not appropriate to show up at the gate with the item in tow and then ask if they would like it.......

In the past, the Museum has had a PRR MP54, a Reading EPa electric MU car 800, and PRR Pioneer III/Silverliner I 246 and 247. The MP54 and the Pioneer cars were scrapped, the latter in 2014. The Reading 800, meanwhile, was handsomely restored and put in the indoor hall a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:23 pm 

RDG MU Car 800 came to RRMPA as a donation from the Phila NHRS, directly from revenue passenger service. It was not restored as it was in good condition and presentable as an operating car when it arrived and was not in need of an expensive restoration.

The MP54 and MP85's were in poor condition and were scrapped as a result.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:02 pm 

Concerning the Silverliner, it's my understanding the car was offered to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. However, the Commonwealth would not accept it since SEPTA was unable to 100% guarantee that it did not contain any PCB's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:21 pm 

I understand similarly and believe that was part of the impetus in scrapping the MP54 and the two MP85's.

I also understand RDG 800 has a different transformer without PCB's.

Phil Mulligan