It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Allentown & Auburn - Creating a New Tourist Railroad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 pm 

What does it take to form a tourist railroad in the 21st Century? Allentown & Auburn Railroad President Mike Bast talks about getting this railroad started and what steam locomotive they will be restoring.

https://theroundhousepodcast.com/2018/0 ... -railroad/

...and for those who want closed captioning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTsIPkeWoXY

Post subject: Re: Allentown & Auburn - Creating a New Tourist Railroad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm 

How about you just tell us so I don't have to listen to a podcast or watch a video?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:00 pm 

Nick does an excellent podcast which is quite frequently preservation oriented. It is an excellent outreach to those who use that communication medium. Transcribing his interviews, news, stories and more would require a good bit of additional effort.

I am thankful that Nick continues to produce these fairly frequently. I have heard many other podcasts (of varying topics) and The Roundhouse is always well-produced and pleasurable to listen to. (Others, even some "professional" ones, are sometimes of far inferior quality.) And, yes, I support his efforts with a modest contribution.

Now if I can only get him to come visit the WW&F...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:40 pm 

elecuyer wrote:
Transcribing his interviews, news, stories and more would require a good bit of additional effort.

Then I would consider his post to be an advertisement and not a discussion. Which should at least relegate it to Railfanning and not the interchange.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:42 pm 

In case anyone is curious about the steam locomotive.

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/railroad-in-kutztown-now-has-old-steam-locomotive-on-board

http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1774

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41394&start=15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:53 pm 

R. Hahn wrote:

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

What's the status of their ex Lehigh and New England Alco S2, the only remaining LNE diesel?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Then I would consider his post to be an advertisement and not a discussion. Which should at least relegate it to Railfanning and not the interchange.

The Roundhouse Podcasts are exactly the type of content that we want to promote here. Long form discussions on topics of preservation interest. I have been eagerly anticipating Nick's next podcast and look forward to listening to it at my next opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
How about you just tell us so I don't have to listen to a podcast or watch a video?

Nobody would make the same demands of any other form of media where someone is being interviewed. Starting a new tourist railroad is certainly relevant to the forum, taking a look at the specifics on how it was do even more so.

For people that listen to podcasts they essentially take up no time at all to listen to, personally when I see one I want to listen to I download it and listen to it when I am busy doing something else like sorting the laundry. I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. I think a lot of people are just not familiar enough with the medium. I appreciate the discussion that can/has arose from this podcast.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:02 am 

derail wrote:
6-18003 wrote:

Nobody would make the same demands of any other form of media where someone is being interviewed. Starting a new tourist railroad is certainly relevant to the forum, taking a look at the specifics on how it was do even more so.

For people that listen to podcasts they essentially take up no time at all to listen to, personally when I see one I want to listen to I download it and listen to it when I am busy doing something else like sorting the laundry. I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. I think a lot of people are just not familiar enough with the medium. I appreciate the discussion that can/has arose from this podcast.

Really? This is a discussion board, not youtube. My participation on RYPN is mostly confined to what I can skim through when I get stuck on a long call with a customer during business hours. I simply do not have the time, freedom, the equipment required, nor the interest to listen to podcasts during the day.

On the rare occasion that I have more than a few spare minutes to be online at home, I am prioritizing my time across MANY web forums that I like to participate in. During those times I usually have the news on in the background. I can skim a lot of threads very quickly to see if I am interested in a topic or if I can contribute anything of value. Then I am on to another activity entirely. My hearing is also not the best anymore and I have a hard time picking out words on cell phones similar devices, especially if I am moving around.

Bottom line, I am sure we have many retirees on RYPN. I am not at that stage in my life yet, and if it's online and I can't read it, the odds of me seeing it either during working hours or at home is slim to none. Same with facebook links. I do not have a facebook account, nor do I want one - another rabbit hole for those with time to kill. Even the public pages pester you with popups and it's just a hassle.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, Mike Bast should have come on here and started a thread about his new endeavor, with actual information, and posted a link to the podcast for those who want to know a lot more. That would give us an actual poster to, you know, have a discussion with - the actual purpose of a discussion board.

Something to consider when posters try to solicit donations or generate interest on here. I am not picking on the original poster, I just think if all you are going to do is drop an audio link here it belongs in another forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 am 

I would much rather see a link to a podcast that is entirely on topic than have to waste my time reading your rant about how you don't like podcasts and facebook links.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:08 am 

If all this board is going to be is a redirect for outside content, what's the point?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm 

I'll agree with 6-18003
Rather have a summary.
Short, sweet and to point.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:29 pm 

Getting back to the topic at hand. Nick asked about what he was most thankful (or something to that effect) and his answer didn't surprise me, the people that are involved with the operation. I can think of a few operations/museums that still don't have that solid group of volunteers/staff that represent a large enough core group.

Many of the guys running the A&A might be considered part of the younger crowd (30's and younger) at least relative to some folks on this forum. Contrast the A&A to the recent topic "An Unfortunately Familiar Situation in Cincinnati" all the members of that group interviewed were in their 50s and older.

The Allentown and Auburn will likely be around for as long as they can maintain a good relationship with the town of Kutztown, and they are doing the needed steps to maintain a good relationship with the community.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:24 pm 

Yes! I totally agree. If you follow their facebook they are always having work sessions on the depot, coaches etc. They also continually praise their volunteers, and show where people's donations are going towards. What they have accomplished in a very short time shows what's possible with the right leadership.