It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake Shore Ry. Museum Snags ex-SCL GE U36B
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:36 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
According to a Lake Shore Railway Historical Society Museum news release, MCVX U36B No. 7764 was last with the Firefighters Education and Training Foundation in Massachusetts as a training locomotive for firefighters. The locomotive carried MCVX reporting marks and the last number it had when it was part of CSX Transportation's active roster.

General Electric built the locomotive in 1970 at its nearby Lawrence Park, Pa., shops for Seaboard Coast Line as No. 1776. The four-axle 3,600-hp locomotive was soon renumbered 1813 to make way for the Seaboard Bicentennial locomotive, another U36B, to receive "1776."

“The U36B is a very rare GE locomotive model and we are thankful for its inclusion in our collection,” says Ray Grabowski Jr., president of Lake Shore Railway Historical
Society, “Its earlier re-purposing as a training unit just enhances Lake Shore’s educational function. Look for it to continue to be used as a teaching tool here soon.”

Post subject: Re: Lake Shore Ry. Museum Snags ex-SCL GE U36B
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 am 

I just saw Ray this past weekend and he said NOTHING about this! They are quickly running out of track up there but this is a good problem to have.

We gave them our 80 tonner a couple of years ago because we feel very strongly about their focus on GE locomotives and felt that it would be best appreciated there. Glad to see that the collection continues to expand.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:31 am 

The last one? The Auto Train U36Bs ended up with Conrail and were scrapped relatively early, too bad one of those wan't saved, there is likely not much AT equipment left. First production unit with 900 HP per axle and slipped like it I am told.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 am 

Are all the Transkentucky Transportation U36B's now gone? They rostered a variety of former CSX/SBD/SCL U36B's, running some at least into 2009 and with several still stored on the property when the end arrived a year or two ago.

Conrail only got the four that Auto Train ordered but never took delivery on due to financial issues. Historic as Conrail's first bought new locomotives.

They were built to SCL specifications and initially retained most of those features after Conrail took over the order, but Conrail did have the Blomberg trucks swapped out for Type-B's before delivery. They enjoyed the typical 15 year lifespan of a U-boat, being retired in 1991 along with the U23B's. Only the hump service ex-PC U23C's outlasted them.

I believe the Auto Train owned U36B's that weren't wrecked never found a buyer like Conrail. I believe they all were cut up in St. Louis after a few years of sitting in the hopes that Mexico or somewhere would buy them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 am 

Is it complete? If so, how far from operable?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:57 pm 

LeoA wrote:
Are all the Transkentucky Transportation U36B's now gone? They rostered a variety of former CSX/SBD/SCL U36B's, running some at least into 2009 and with several still stored on the property when the end arrived a year or two ago.

My understanding is that everything inoperable was cut up around the time operations ended, including a Baldwin switcher that was seemingly forgotten about. I'm not sure if much of anything survives, including the substantial B36-7 roster.

CD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
LeoA wrote:

My understanding is that everything inoperable was cut up around the time operations ended, including a Baldwin switcher that was seemingly forgotten about. I'm not sure if much of anything survives, including the substantial B36-7 roster.

CD

The more recently painted B36-7's survive. 1 of them is still used to switch the transload in Paris. 2 of the older ones were patched and have been sold to the CCET in Cincinnati. Those 2 actually just arrived in Cincy on CSX.

The U28B that was the switcher at the barge operation in Maysville also still survives.