It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CABoose
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm 

Dennis and Randy you boys pretty well summed things up.

This was one reason, as a conductor I always wanted to use a caboose for long shoves. In addition to having a safe place to ride I had a loud whistle for crossing protection and a valve to gradually control the brakes or dyanmite the air.

With this discussion and talking with the good folks at Monticello I'll plan on including operation and protection for shove moves in the next annual rules class.

Post subject: Re: CABoose
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:58 am 

dkouz wrote:
MRM has one caboose on the property with a mounted horn, N&W 500836. The horn valve is inside with a rope ran to one end. Some of these photos show the horn: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspict ... x?id=41042
The other P&WV cabooses have the same horn. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1591235]

All the P&WV cabooses had air horns (500836 was one, P&WV 836). These were plumbed separately through a small reservoir mounted inside one of the interior cabinets (at least on the 850 series, I assume it was the same setup on the 830's) and charged off the brake pipe. This gave them the capacity to blow the horn as needed without worrying about getting a brake set. There were two valves, each with a cord that ran towards the end doors.