It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: www.steamlocomotive.info is offered for sale
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:45 pm 

For Sale:
Databases, program code, all contents, blogs, forums and related materials.
Please pm me for details.

Post subject: Re: www.steamlocomotive.info is offered for sale
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 am 

I hope you can find a good future for the site. I use it as a reference all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:52 am 

If I had the means... and know how.

I wish you the best of luck with the hopes the site - which I agree, is indispensable, remains the incredible asset to the hobby and preservationists.

I always thought - though a bit risky perhaps?, that someone like the NRHS would be an appropriate group to administer the site.

If it's an issue with funds - I wonder if someone like TRAINS Magazine would possibly consider a grant or ownership?

GoFundMe campaign?

All the best - it would be a tremendous loss if it were not to continue on.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Mgoldman wrote:
I always thought - though a bit risky perhaps?, that someone like the NRHS would be an appropriate group to administer the site.

If it's an issue with funds - I wonder if someone like TRAINS Magazine would possibly consider a grant or ownership?

I've discussed the likes of this with a few prospective benefactors/patrons in the past for other websites--and even this one, RyPN.

The problem always comes down to, "And who is going to administrate and oversee it?"

It doesn't matter how "wiki" we want to be about it. Someone still has to oversee it, lock out troublemakers, make executive decisions, verify the accuracy of contributed additions or updates, delete spam and fraudulent entries, etc.

Otherwise, we end up with the bizarre situation RyPN has been in for years now.

There are similar excellent websites that have perished because of the founder's death or decline in interest, changes in computer operating systems, etc. I have stashed away some "backups" of some websites from back when you could still fit such a back-up on a CD-ROM. I have to go to an older computer to open some of the files now. And, bizarrely, someone just asked me today "can you get some files of a floppy disc for me?"

Groups like the NRHS have enough trouble getting newsletter editors, people willing to contribute their time, etc. And, certainly, the likes of a webmaster doesn't require showing up at a workshop and getting dirty, or even leaving the house. Perfect for a savvy computer user that may be confined at home, doesn't have a car, etc. But it seems we only focus on staffing trains and workshops.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:13 pm 

Mr. Bailey,

I've sent you two PMs regarding the matter. Have you received them?