It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ExErie Lackawanna SD45-2 (and others scrapped)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 pm 

Looks like sad news out of Atlanta, as former EL SD45-2 (CSX 8973) was cut up yesterday. It was used as a training tool at the CSX REDI training center that sat next to the now dismantled Tilford yard. I'm also told that the other rare SD45-2 down there (exSeaboard Coast Line) will be cut up if not already.

There were also several freight cars down there as well, including at least one exB&O C26 caboose, all used for employee training. Just more "asset utilization" from CSX.

Post subject: Re: ExErie Lackawanna SD45-2 (and others scrapped)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:17 pm 

Here is the 8973 in 2015 https://www.flickr.com/photos/fr8engine ... 377870416/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:42 pm 

The former Erie Lackawanna 3672 if I remember correctly, I got to ride that locomotive on its first revenue trip for the EL out of Marion, Ohio in December 1972. Got to see it again a couple years ago while teaching some classes at REDI. Sorry to hear that it is gone. I have a Tony Fachet oil painting in my office of 3672 and 3679 westbound at AC tower in Marion during their first few days of service on the railroad.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:37 pm 

wm7545 wrote:

Unbelievable, it could have been restored so easily, why would they do that? Oops, forgot who it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
PMC wrote:
wm7545 wrote:

Unbelievable, it could have been restored so easily, why would they do that? Oops, forgot who it is.

So, who asked CSX for it?

Who found that this loco fit their "mission statement" and made an official expression of interest?

Who offered to restore it, to whatever paint scheme?

[crickets chirping.............. yes, really, somewhere behind me in this basement....]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:39 pm 

I asked on the EL closed facebook group if anyone was aware of the imminent scrapping of this unit and/or was offered it (several regulars there belong to groups with EL themes and collections) and am hearing the same crickets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:53 pm 

The years are rushing by now and it is getting a bit late to expect EL fans to acquire and preserve equipment. I just got the word in the last week of the passing of two long-time friends in the ELHS group. The end of the railroad was more than forty years ago, and the people who were in their 30s when it was absorbed by Conrail are now in their 70s.

As I have commented before, the edge of history is about fifty years, the period of time after an event when you still have the people around who lived the history. We are rapidly approaching that for the Erie Lackawanna as well as the EMD Dash-2 series and a lot of other topics of railroading from the 1970s.

I recently found on eBay an EMD SD45-2 manual that I handed to Charlie Dillon, the Master Mechanic at Marion, the day we got the new locomotives. He wrote "C. P. Dillon" on the cover as I watched him. It is on my book shelf now.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 pm 

The key, in my opinion, is to preemptively pursue such objects. This isn't the time anymore to sit, twiddling thumbs expecting all the cards to line up in one's favor. CSX, even under Harrison's and Foote's
Leadership, has shown a willingness to be cooperative with preservation efforts when possible. The donation of the C&O SD40, Chessie B30-7, and Ravenna Shops are proof of this.

Plan, earmark, and communicate. Professionally, mind you. To a railroad, they are under no obligation to inform anyone of roster changes, or plans to salvage, scrap, or retire equipment.

For example, say you as an organization are looking for an ATSF SD45-2 to preserve. You have a specific unit in mind, say one of ATSF's Bicentennial units. Does it do you better to sit and hope someone at BNSF, 42 years later, knows about these units still, and is in a position to earmark or assist? Or does it do one better to approach the company from an organizational standpoint, and specifically request with an outlined plan what one plans to do if they can aquire such a locomotive?

Unfortunately I think we will see a distinct lack of attempts to aquire 645/7FDL/251 powered locomotives when comparing them to their 567/244/539 brethern of earlier years. Partially because of their long comparable service lives, but also because the reality of the preservation game has changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm 

For those mourning the loss of 8973, pick up your phone and call VMT in Roanoke. They have former Conrail SDP45 6670 (E-L 3639) in their inventory and they are willing to part with it.

Attachments:
Conrail SDP45 6670.jpg
Conrail SDP45 6670.jpg [ 330.42 KiB | Viewed 8419 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 pm 

wm303 wrote:
For those mourning the loss of 8973, pick up your phone and call VMT in Roanoke. They have former Conrail SDP45 6670 (E-L 3639) in their inventory and they are willing to part with it.

The thing is I am not worried about NS cutting it without asking if a museum would be interested. I could have seen a 503 style fundraiser had anyone known about 3672.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm 

I'm not too worried about SD45-2s...

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/551626/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
PMC wrote:
The thing is I am not worried about NS cutting it without asking if a museum would be interested. I could have seen a 503 style fundraiser had anyone known about 3672.

Then someone do it for 3639..............

[crickets still chirping..............]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
PMC wrote:

Then someone do it for 3639..............

[crickets still chirping..............]

You're missing the point of my 503 reference, which is that nothing focuses the mind like imminent death, which 3639 is not facing. We saw this phenomenon in the past few weeks when people were mobilized to relocate a Nickel Plate steam engine and move it to a safe location. At this very moment there is another Nickel Plate steam engine sitting in a park in Bloomington IL that hasn't moved a fraction of an inch since I drove past it every day in the mid-1980s, try to get that moved into restoration in under two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 pm 

I wonder how many people said the same thing about 8973 until yesterday?

Why wait until it is a matter of urgency? If you want to see an Erie Lackawanna SD anything preserved, choose a preservation target and pursue it. For crying out loud, it is the property of a 501(c)3 who has no desire to restore it, even cosmetically, and they would probably donate it to get rid of it and NS would move it for you.

Of course, there are ambulance chasers in our hobby too. You only hear from them while the sirens are wailing.

Otherwise . . . (there go them crickets again).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm 

8973/3672 was donated. Someone DID ask. It didn't work out. We move on.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled crickets...

ETA