It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: British Columbia Collection Faces Eviction
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:29 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/09/28/BC-H ... -Eviction/

Quote:
A non-profit group will be in court next week fighting an attempt to have their historic railway cars removed from a New Westminster property leased to the internet giant Amazon.

“It’s a bit of a David and Goliath story,” said Stu McDonald, who describes himself as a friend of several members of the National Railway Historical Society. “I would not like to see the cars dispersed and not used anymore.”

According to a notice of civil claim filed in August 2016 by the numbered company 2725321 Canada Inc., the society has some 25 passenger and freight cars, including an engine, stored at a giant warehouse at 109 Braid Street. There are also tables, chairs, signs, tools, equipment and other material on the property.

The property was formerly a Woodward’s warehouse and has been owned by the numbered company since the mid-1990s. It is managed by QuadReal Property Group, a company the B.C. Investment Management Corporation launched in 2016 to manage its real estate investments.

Read the whole thing.

Post subject: Re: British Columbia Collection Faces Eviction
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 pm 

Quote:
Richard DeFilippi, the lawyer acting for the property owner, said there was little he could say while the case is before the court. “The property managers have been taking steps or trying to take steps with regards to the rail cars since as early as 2000,” he said.

Hmmmmm....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:37 pm 

I seem to recall a story from a several years ago about a collection of historic CanadIan passenger cars and an F-Unit that were facing eviction. I wonder if that was a different group, or is it the same group and very little has been done about the situation?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 pm 

Does anyone have a roster of the collection? It sounds interesting... many passenger cars but few locos? The bizarro world when compared to most situations like this. - Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:42 am 

This has been ongoing for some years, here are some articles from 2013, it is a difficult situation with the skyrocketing cost of real estate here. It will be hard to find indoor storage for this equipment.

http://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/historic-rail-collection-threatened-by-redevelopment-1.1920956

http://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/new-westminster-train-group-gives-new-life-to-engine-with-tragic-past-1.1923120

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 am 

weekendrailroader wrote:
I seem to recall a story from a several years ago about a collection of historic CanadIan passenger cars and an F-Unit that were facing eviction. I wonder if that was a different group, or is it the same group and very little has been done about the situation?
I remember the same thing. I think it is the same group. I seem to also recall that it was difficult to search (on the web or in reference books) and find anything about the organization and the collection. But, I never did acquire any of the Canadian railroad/railfan reference books.

I did a Google search and found this page about Canadian railroad preservation from 2013 that talks about the need to relocate at that time and the problems involved.
Canadian Railway Observations

I found a few photos on Mr. LaBoda's passenger car photo site
http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/NRHS1.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 am 

E&N6004 wrote:
This has been ongoing for some years, here are some articles from 2013, it is a difficult situation with the skyrocketing cost of real estate here. It will be hard to find indoor storage for this equipment.

http://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/historic-rail-collection-threatened-by-redevelopment-1.1920956

http://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/new-westminster-train-group-gives-new-life-to-engine-with-tragic-past-1.1923120

Pat

This may be a consider the source situation

From the webpage for the "original" article

"The Tyee strives to be a widely read and respected independent online magazine that publishes news, reviews and commentary not typically covered by B.C. and Canada's mainstream media. We aim to inform and enliven the democratic conversation necessary to improve environmental, economic and social conditions. "

That means it falls into a different journalism class of publication from the Vancouver Sun.

Bob H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 pm 

Is this the same group that was trying to sell off some equipment awhile back...maybe a year or so ago?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:53 pm 

Same group, been going on for a very long time. Some of the cars, including the Obs Car in the photo, were restored by the Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad.

I had also heard the mainline switch was pulled out, but it appears that's not totally correct. The frog has been removed and straight-railed. So you can't get anything in or out at the moment. But it's a relatively easy fix, especially for a single move, you just cut in a rail for a move the other direction. Of course that's not going to be cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Update:

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/10/10/Hist ... -Reprieve/

The headline says "reprieve," but it's a complicated story.......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm 

Quote:
I found a few photos on Mr. LaBoda's passenger car photo site
http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/NRHS1.htm

Yah, that observation car has a good bit of history. Built originally as a lounge observation car, I believe for use on the Coast Daylight it was later converted to an Instruction car by Espee. Been up north for quite a while and has seen a fair amount of use in years past...

Do hope some sort of permanent solution can be found for all the equipment so that they may all be saved for future generations!!!

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 pm 

As was mentioned...it's a complicated story.

Urban railfan legend says the "hayrack" ...seen here at Porteau Cove behind the Royal Hudson...was leased from this group by BC Rail for a season or two.

Any truth to that..?

O.S.

Attachments:
BC Rail %22Hayrack%22 1.jpg
BC Rail %22Hayrack%22 1.jpg [ 122.12 KiB | Viewed 12506 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 pm 

Old Smokey wrote:
As was mentioned...it's a complicated story.

Urban railfan legend says the "hayrack" ...seen here at Porteau Cove behind the Royal Hudson...was leased from this group by BC Rail for a season or two.

Any truth to that..?
Correction: The "mountain observation" car is owned by West Coast Railway Association (the group with the museum at Squamish, B.C.) and is number 598.

It is one of a trio of coaches rebuilt by Canadian Pacific to this configuration. The three cars were numbered 597, 598 and 599. All three were acquired by West Coast which then sold two cars. 599 went to Orange Empire Trolley (now Railway) Museum and was used for main-line excursion trains until the coming of Amtrak; it was then sold to the Sierra Railroad. The 597 went east (I've forgotten the tourist railway) then resold later to the Sierra RR. The Sierra RR cars are now owned as part of State of California's Railtown 1897 State Park.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:38 pm 

Speaking of the Mountain observation cars photos exist that show both 597 and 599 were used on the Sierra last decade (mid-2000s). Not sure what exactly happened for the one to be given to Orange Empire Rwy. Museum but for a time they were together in central California.

Photos can be found at the page linked to below...

http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/R1.htm#CP597

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:46 pm 

Thanks for that clarification as to ownership.
Nice to know it's owned by that well run group.

O.S.