It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cass Bald Knob train with only one engine and five cars
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 pm 

1) Every trip I have taken in the cab at Cass, the engineer always ran with it hooked up and the throttle out. If more power was needed the Johnson bar was moved. This is proper and standard.

2) The valve timing is merely a function of shop time and ability. If the shop forces know how to do it (I assume they do, they have been there a long time) and time allows it, it gets done. Even if parts are worn, it can be achieved.

3) Noting Kelly's comment that the loco was "in the corner while in reverse"......for the uninitiated, the reverse move between the switchbacks is a 9% grade (or slightly less). Getting a train started on that grade coming out of a switchback needs a bit of "oomph".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm 

Mark, thanks. That's the reason I included the switchbacks because of the steep grades and the need for a standing start.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:44 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Obviously, the shop had higher priorities. They only have so many man hours available, and an engine that sounds lame but is still able to do its job will take a back seat to ensuring that the boilers are safe, etc.

And eventually, the valves got attention:

https://www.facebook.com/Robert.Otis.Li ... 552701910/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:12 am 

Joe, that's great news. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 am 

#2 was originally out of service because for some reason (I forgot why now) the engine worked water and the cylinders locked up. It was disconnected and brought down the mountain and parked for a number of years. With #11 going down 3 years ago for its 1472, it was necessary to overhaul the #2. #2 and #11 are the favored locomotives for Bald Knob as #6 is very hard on the track above the junction as it is really just the logging RR and not the main line so because they can handle the train are much easier on the track, those engines are preferred.

In the old Cass system, each engineer was responsible for the maintenance on their specific locomotive (a throwback to the logging operations). During the summer, when the trains are running every day, only the minimum work could be done as a result.

I don't have an specific knowledge as to how the shop works now, but I do know that when the D&GV took over, both #2 and #11 were out of service and Heisler #6 was due for a 1472 at the end of the operating year, as was the little Climax #3 at Durbin, plus the on going restoration of the big Climax, #6 was taking up shop space at Cass also. In addition, the Cass shop did a significant amount of work on the rest of the WVC and D&GV diesel locomotives at Cass, because the shop there is better equipped for some things than the shop at Belinginton. At the same time, work was started on former BC&G #4 for the Cass to Durbin run.

The valve timing on #2 was set when the cylinders were rebuilt but the sheer volume of work also means that current timing issues simply were and are somewhat down the priority list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:41 pm 

Reported to me when I working for the D&GVR in Cass was the initial failure was caused by failure of the drypipe which allowed water into cylinders. Enough water was ingested into the front cylinder to lock up the locomotive. During the overhaul, we pulled the piston rod/crosshead key and found in significantly deformed, and the rod and been driven deeper into the crosshead by a 1/4" or so. Fortunately, The crosshead was not damaged, nor was the piston rod. What I don't recall was how it was put back together as the piston rod/crosshead fit had been compromised somewhat. About that time I was sent up to Durbin to run the Climax, and never saw #2 go back together.