It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&M #3713 Summer 2017 Newsletter Released
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:59 pm 

The Summer 2017 Newsletter is out!

The restoration of B&M #3713 continues at the Steamtown National Historic Site and the Summer 2017 newsletter has all of the updates. Appliance work is progressing, local trade school students are recrafting the headlight and requests for bids have gone out for major components.

Of course, there is still fundraising to be done. Don’t miss the details of our new Signers’ Fund with unique gifts for our supporters.

Now is a great time to get on board as we bring “America’s Locomotive” back to the rails!

Download the PDF here: http://www.project3713.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Summer-2017-Project-3713-Special-Edition.pdf

Rob Davis
Project3713

Post subject: Re: B&M #3713 Summer 2017 Newsletter Released
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 pm 

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:55 pm 

#3713's tender has been moved into the shop for restoration work to begin: http://www.project3713.com/2017/09/22/tender-prepped-for-overhaul/

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:57 pm 

Headlight and Safety Valve Campaigns Complete

We are excited to announce that the Go Fund Me campaigns have reached their goals for #3713's headlight and safety valves.

Donors contributed $795 towards the headlight and volunteers from Johnson Technical donated the work needed to finish the job.

Donors had raised $625 towards one of the three safety valves required and an anonymous donor has stepped forward not just to complete this campaign but to fund all three safeties needed.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:43 pm 

Paper copies of the Special Edition are available at the donation boxes in Steamtown's visitor center and locomotive shop. Check out the recently restored headlight while you are there.

Also, the B&M tender has been moved to the locomotive shop. The tender tank will be sent to Ashland, PA to be used as a model for the replacement tank.

A lot of new work will happen on this project soon due to a recently released grant. We will keep you tuned in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 pm 

During RailFest this past Labor Day weekend, the fundraising display in front of the disassembled loco indicated that the current total fundraising goal is $2.1M and that, as of March 2017, $1,388,499 had been raised. Does the $2.1M goal represent the current total anticipated cost of the restoration to operation? Park Service shop crew worked on the locomotive in the early days of the restoration and have provided some technical support even before the relatively recent transition of the project management portion back to the NPS. Does this total project dollar amount include labor and overhead for NPS personnel that have worked on the restoration?

Also, JR May has been posting updates on 3713 contract work that has been put out for proposals/quotes. There was a bid packet posted on 8/3/15 and modified on 8/10/15 for work on the firebox. 3713 firebox issues were discussed in the following threads:

"B&M #3713 Restoration Thread"
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36307&hilit=3713&start=45&sid=5ef84296399b12d4a84d8c6271016d96

"B&M #3713 Restoration Thread Part 2"
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38239&sid=5ef84296399b12d4a84d8c6271016d96

The relevant dates in the bid packet were:

12. Date of delivery: 31 January 2016.

17. (b) Offers are due on or before 2:00 P.M. EST, 1 September, 2015

17. (f) Site Visit: Monday, 17 August 2015 at 10:00 AM EST.

What ever happened to this? Were bids received for the work? If so, it does not appear that the work was done. If not, why? Why has the creation of firebox #3 been delayed?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 pm 

Glad you asked, Counselor Yard.

A revised funding "thermometer" and locomotive shop display is underway. It will clearly show amounts from each group (NPS and Project3713) raised and to be raised. Look for the update on this in the next newsletter (late autumn). I trust you saw the #3713 hardware display in the visitor's center and heard her whistle on the #26? The whistle was a September-only thing to celebrate the 230th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Consitution, the old girl's namesake.

For your other questions, I encourage you to read the Project3713 Facebook page where the restoration crew posts quite regularly. As noted there, firebox work will be in a future round. With the tender underway, drivers are the next step in terms of work being done on-site. All this work is captured as we go on Facebook. We find it to be the best way to keep donors in the loop.

Of course, if you hunger for more news, you can sign up for the e-mail newsletter. You are welcome to come aboard as a subscription donor, too. We have nice thank you gifts, especially at the $100 a month level.

All the best,

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:39 pm 

Mr. Davis - Thank you for the prompt post. So quick I almost missed it. Not really a reply though since it does not answer any of my questions, especially those regarding the current anticipated budget, if/how past NPS labor and labor overhead has been included in that budget, and what happened to the original bid packet for the construction of firebox#3. I see the group is still opting against financial transparency and keeping the financials close to the vest.

Reading your post brings to mind the scene in Christmas Story when Ralphie finally gets his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring and rushes to the bathroom to decode his first secret message. "A crummy commercial?"

I always wondered how the 3713 group gets away with posting the fundraising thermometer sign and collection box right in front of the historic artifact and in the shop, which is part of the historic site proper. It has been there as long as I can remember. My recollection of the Director's Orders (basically the NPS rulebook), is that they indicate that this is not allowed and that all fundraising signs/collection boxes/kiosks are to be outside of the historic site near the visitor's center.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 pm 

The short version (and I am not connected with the group): Project leadership and the NPS sat down and itemized everything left to be repaired/replaced on the engine. The project group agreed to be responsible for a specific list of tasks/parts and have to raise a final $750,000, while the park will devote staff and cover any additional costs.

The group has raised about a third of the 750k so far, and have been working to reduce costs on what they are responsible for on their list. Some boiler work has been outsourced and has been ongoing. I have no idea what the park has committed to dollar wise, but if you look at what has been put out to bid, it must be a substantial amount.

I have been following this project for a long time. There seems to be a lot of action lately, with multiple tasks progressing at the same time, and it seems like the park is taking the project seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:03 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
The short version (and I am not connected with the group): Project leadership and the NPS sat down and itemized everything left to be repaired/replaced on the engine. The project group agreed to be responsible for a specific list of tasks/parts and have to raise a final $750,000, while the park will devote staff and cover any additional costs.

The group has raised about a third of the 750k so far, and have been working to reduce costs on what they are responsible for on their list. Some boiler work has been outsourced and has been ongoing. I have no idea what the park has committed to dollar wise, but if you look at what has been put out to bid, it must be a substantial amount.

I have been following this project for a long time. There seems to be a lot of action lately, with multiple tasks progressing at the same time, and it seems like the park is taking the project seriously.

I thought he knew that from his prior litany of queries and discussions. You are correct about the fundraising split.

Over the years, the Counselor has had many questions and hinted at many issues he has from his time spent at the park many moons ago. I have suggested to him in the past that he have a direct conversation to air his grievances. To my knowledge, he has not done that. I have sent him yet another PM with a suggestion of whom to contact. Hopefully he will find what he his looking for and get closure. Any concerns about park policy and such are best raised with the park. I wish he had taken the time to discuss his concerns when he visited at Railfest, as almost everyone involved with the project was on site - including at a large display table right at the main entrance.

You are right, Lionel Pocono, things are progressing. When the Project3713 partnership agreement was renewed, the park and the L&WVRHS communicated several things: a $1.3 million dollar total was estimated for completion (with $750K to be raised by the partnership and the rest to come from the NPS) ), Steamtown planned on turning the shop's efforts to #3713 once #26 was running, and a revised plan for #3713 was developed. That plan, which assigns tasks and funding, has been rolling out pretty much as we hoped. That is why you are seeing the drumbeat of work increasing. Keep watching Facebook for news straight from the shop.

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:43 pm 

Led by Mr. Bruce Mowbry, the three (3) sets of 80" drivers were dropped from the 3713 yesterday and Friday and they will be apparently shipped off to Strasburg, I believe for turning and truing. Nice progress and congrats to both SNHS and L&WVRHS on the recent progress. Definitely nice to see.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:08 pm 

"I always wondered how the 3713 group gets away with posting the fundraising thermometer sign and collection box right in front of the historic artifact and in the shop, which is part of the historic site proper. It has been there as long as I can remember. My recollection of the Director's Orders (basically the NPS rulebook), is that they indicate that this is not allowed and that all fundraising signs/collection boxes/kiosks are to be outside of the historic site near the visitor's center."

In candor; I can't even begin to imagine what principle of sound financial management that would serve.

In any case, although the 3713 group is a DO 32 group if memory recalls correctly; that DO does not address the placement of donation boxes and Section 11.1 refers to Directors Order 21,

11.1. Authorized Fundraising. Fundraising includes the solicitation of donations of money
and / or in-kind goods or services for the benefit of the NPS, a park, or an NPS
resource. If the park superintendent and an Association mutually agree that it is in the
park’s best interest for the Association to fundraise for the benefit of the NPS, DO-21
applies. Fundraising activities that require a separate agreement are defined in DO-21.

Here's what D.O 21 has to say on the matter:

4.5.2 Donation Boxes
Donation boxes may be installed on park property. The boxes may be owned and managed either by the NPS or by an authorized philanthropic partner if the donations will benefit the park. NPS policy is to encourage the ownership and management of boxes by authorized philanthropic partners. Parks with philanthropic partners interested in installing an NPS donation box should include this in the annual work plan.

NPS donation boxes may be placed only on NPS property, or on property jointly administered by or for the benefit of the NPS. The accounting procedures for funds received from NPS donation boxes on jointly administered property (joint visitor centers, heritage areas, or NPS-leased facilities outside of parks) are the same as those on NPS-controlled property. The proceeds from joint donation boxes will be allocated based on a formula agreed to by the entities in a written agreement.

Through a philanthropic partnership agreement or annual work plan, the NPS may permit the placement of an authorized philanthropic partner’s donation box in a park. The agreement will (1) include all necessary internal control measures (same as those for NPS-administered donation boxes); and (2) describe the amount of funds collected from the donation box that a partner may use for administrative costs related to accounting of the funds collected, and for the building, installation, and maintenance of the box. Such donation boxes must recognize the partner's role as owner of the box and manager of the proceeds.

Donation boxes must clearly inform the public of how the NPS or its partners will use the money. Without this information, all money collected in a donation box must be considered miscellaneous receipts and deposited to the U.S. Treasury (per 31 USC 3302). RM-21 contains guidance on internal controls for securing, handling, and depositing any funds that are collected.

Authorized philanthropic partners may fundraise through virtual or electronic donation boxes (using direct mobile giving or mobile giving through a third-party vendor). Partners may use an agreed upon portion of the funds collected from mobile giving to cover administrative costs. Partners must include the details of how electronic giving methods will be used in their approved annual work plans. See section 4.6 for guidance on electronic donations and emerging practices in philanthropy.

Perhaps some restrictions were included in superseded versions these orders; or Scranton Yard is referring to another order.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm 

Rob Gardner wrote:
Led by Mr. Bruce Mowbry, the three (3) sets of 80" drivers were dropped from the 3713 yesterday and Friday and they will be apparently shipped off to Strasburg, I believe for turning and truing. Nice progress and congrats to both SNHS and L&WVRHS on the recent progress. Definitely nice to see.

Rob Gardner

Indeed! Bruce and a mostly volunteer team got the work done this weekend. As posted on FB: "Drivers are being sent our for wheel center and axle inspection and reconditioning of the #1s and #3s journals. The main axle, #2, is worn to the condemning limit. A new axle will be machined and put in. Material is on hand for this axle. All crank pins will be quartered and stroked. and lateral faces will be addressed once inspected. No tire work is necessary."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm 

6-18003 - Thank you for your response. I am aware of the splits moving forward. Unfortunately, this information does not answer my questions about total anticipated project cost, how much has been expended to date, and if/how previous Park Service expenditures were included in the number. Also, no answers as to what happened to the original bid packet from 2015 for the needed fire box work.

Supe - thanks for your response. I may not always agree with you but I very much appreciate your direct and thorough posts. No, I do not believe that the DO was revised, I just had some brain freeze. I was told that boxes on site were a non-starter years back by a person who was high enough in the administration to know better (but is no longer with the Park Service). I asked about the box I'd seen at Muir Woods and at another site (can't recall which one) and cited my correct interpretation of the DO that a box would be allowed to no avail. Unfortunately, what stuck in my head the other day when I posted was the incorrect information that had originally been conveyed to me and not the result of my own research. I guess Mr. Davis' continued obfuscation had me a bit distracted. I will leave my original post unedited to preserve thread continuity and so the record is clear.

Mr. Davis - I do not believe in discussing the type of information in question behind the veil of PM. For a project like this, which depends on public money (donations and tax dollars), total anticipated budget, where the money went, and where it came from should all be information that is publicly available and openly discussed. As for "hinting at issues", in previous threads I have discussed my impression as to the sequence of events regarding the firebox. This was first met with your denials and then, when the original bid packet in question came out, a PM pretty much accusing me of heresy. But no public explanation. I was not aware that you are a practicing and/or degreed psychologist capable of ascribing my intent or motive. Fact is, I used to drop a ten or twenty (or sometimes a five) in that box almost every chance I had. I stopped because of what I saw and what I've posted about.

Glad to see Bruce Mowbray and his team are chewing through things and getting the project back on track.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 am 

@Scranton Yard

Nobody always agrees with me-even me. I am by nature a contrarian.

"I was told that boxes on site were a non-starter years back by a person who was high enough in the administration to know better (but is no longer with the Park Service)"

If the individual was named Cal, I'm not surprised. He gummed up the operation of the book store when it was run by the SVA, preventing the sale of certain hobby items on the grounds that the Great Train Store the defunct hobby retailer that was located in the mall would call the IRS and the SVA's 501c3 would be pulled-of course, to quote the lady on TV, "that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.".

Of course he or somebody else got the bright idea that wooden toy whistles weren't things that could be defensible within the SVA's "exempt purpose", but that if you included a small explanation of the traditional whistle indications-somehow that was fine.