It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heart of the Heartlands Museum/KCS 0-8-0/SFRD reefer/etc.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 pm 

Checked out the Heart of the Heartlands Museum complex in Carona, Kansas on the internet. This is the group that received Kansas City Southern 0-8-0 # 1023 from Pittsburg, Kansas. The cosmetic restoration of the only surviving KCS steamer is impressive. Note the photo below:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3603380

You can see the foundations for the roof that was eventually installed over the old girl, which was one of a series of 2-8-0's that the railroad converted to 0-8-0's.

The HOTH group has an interesting collection. One of the jewels in my estimation, is S.F.R.D. ice bunker refrigerator car # 36110:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3660329

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3660353

Note that the first photo shows the slogan "The Chief.....West" where the other side of the car has the "Ship Santa Fe....."and the map of the AT&SF system. I am not aware of any other Santa Fe "billboard" refrigerator cars at any museums. Certainly not with this older "circle-cross" Santa Fe small herald and with the older refrigerator car doors. I am not 100% sure as to the authenticity of the lettering on the car. Perhaps some S.F.R.D. expert can chime in.

Other items preserved at the museum include two Missouri Pacific depots; one from Carona itself, and another one moved in from Boston, Missouri. Both appear to be very well maintained.

There is also other rail equipment, indoor displays, and a very fine collection of railroad signals of various types. There are also, apparently, sponsored rail trips.

An out of the way location, but appears to be worth a visit.

Les

Post subject: Re: Heart of the Heartlands Museum/KCS 0-8-0/SFRD reefer/etc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 pm 

The reefer is nice... but I doubt it's an ATSF car. All the Santa Fe's reefers used five foot doors, and none, as far as I know, had the horizontal lap seam in the side sheets. It looks like one of the many URTX cars General American was giving away in the late sixties. That would explain why the remains of the tack board interfere with the slogans.

I suppose that having the car lettered Santa Fe has more meaning for the local population.