It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CP FP7 4070 update
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:25 am 

Update on former CP FP7 #4070, the lead locomotive from the 1976 movie "Silver Streak". It was reported still around as of earlier this year, but faced a questionable fate. It would be a shame to see this locomotive, perhaps the most famous cab unit used in a major film to be scrapped. Preservation as "AMRoad" 4070 would be a popular attraction at a museum. I'd be willing to out in whatever effort is needed to see this one saved....

From Facebook:

"The locomotive did survive into 2017.... It has been reduced to a shell, .... however, the locomotive remains in grave danger.... Whether it survives this year is another story all together.....the locomotive (if it is still with us) can be found behind the offices of a local trucking company along Route 112, just northeast of the town of East Broughton, Quebec, Canada. I personally spoke representatives from one of the local short lines that serves the area. They confirmed that the locomotive was the only one remaining of the three that were at the facility. These aerial photos (from 2016) confirm the field reports I received. https://goo.gl/maps/xfrdXkW76Uv The intact locomotive that is near the mainline is the 1300 (nee CP 4070) The two pieces of equipment that look like they were derailed was the former D&H U23B and the 1302 (nee CP 4072). Both are now believed to be completely gone. An rebuilt Alco S2 is was scrapped a number of years ago. The 1300 and two passenger cars are all that supposedly now remains. The owner of the trucking company does take phone calls regarding the engine. The owner does not speak English, so you'll need to speak French or have a translator.

One person commented: "Thanks for the updates! I thought that they were long removed from Tring Jonction, but I guess they were just moved down the track.
I planned on making the drive out there last year, but I was told that they are all gone.
I'll definitely call the trucking owner (through a translator) before I make the 8+ hour trek out to Quebec."

Post subject: Re: CP FP7 4070 update
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

Chemungvalleyrail wrote:
Update on former CP FP7 #4070, the lead locomotive from the 1976 movie "Silver Streak". It was reported still around as of earlier this year, but faced a questionable fate. It would be a shame to see this locomotive, perhaps the most famous cab unit used in a major film to be scrapped. Preservation as "AMRoad" 4070 would be a popular attraction at a museum. I'd be willing to out in whatever effort is needed to see this one saved....

From Facebook:

"The locomotive did survive into 2017.... It has been reduced to a shell, .... however, the locomotive remains in grave danger.... Whether it survives this year is another story all together.....the locomotive (if it is still with us) can be found behind the offices of a local trucking company along Route 112, just northeast of the town of East Broughton, Quebec, Canada. I personally spoke representatives from one of the local short lines that serves the area. They confirmed that the locomotive was the only one remaining of the three that were at the facility. These aerial photos (from 2016) confirm the field reports I received. https://goo.gl/maps/xfrdXkW76Uv The intact locomotive that is near the mainline is the 1300 (nee CP 4070) The two pieces of equipment that look like they were derailed was the former D&H U23B and the 1302 (nee CP 4072). Both are now believed to be completely gone. An rebuilt Alco S2 is was scrapped a number of years ago. The 1300 and two passenger cars are all that supposedly now remains. The owner of the trucking company does take phone calls regarding the engine. The owner does not speak English, so you'll need to speak French or have a translator.

One person commented: "Thanks for the updates! I thought that they were long removed from Tring Jonction, but I guess they were just moved down the track.
I planned on making the drive out there last year, but I was told that they are all gone.
I'll definitely call the trucking owner (through a translator) before I make the 8+ hour trek out to Quebec."

Any updates? Someone save it!

Update: Google Maps street view shows it still on the property as of August 2018 (intact).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 am 

Hi
I found this shot, and it was taken in 2007, at its current location, maybe someone can post an updated photo of Locomotive? Pat
Attachment:
File comment: From 2007 photo is off the web
qc1300_2.jpg  JPEG Image  800 × 600 pixels  # 2.jpg
qc1300_2.jpg JPEG Image 800 × 600 pixels # 2.jpg [ 30.89 KiB | Viewed 15306 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:40 pm 

I really would be surprised if this engine is still around. They were going to cut her up last year and the year before that.

Unless someone can find it on Google Earth I am skeptical.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:33 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
I really would be surprised if this engine is still around. They were going to cut her up last year and the year before that.

Unless someone can find it on Google Earth I am skeptical.

Robert

It was still around as of August 2018 (seen in Google Streetview).

Attachments:
CP FP7 #4070.JPG
CP FP7 #4070.JPG [ 51.77 KiB | Viewed 15184 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:18 pm 

I stand corrected.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:08 pm 

I wonder what is really going on with CPR 4070?

The second locomotive used in the Film Silver Streak, was not so lucky. She was built for the Canadian Pacific railway by the General Motors Diesel Division with Serial #A368 and frame #C147-A2. Like the 4070, was too was built to haul Canadian Pacific’s premier train. When Via Rail Canada took over all passenger operations in the mid 1970’s, the locomotive was sold to Via. There, she became Via #1423. In 1982, the locomotive was re-sold back to the Canadian Pacific and she was set aside, not for preservation or to be used in pulling trains, but she was set aside as a parts source. She was finally cut up for scrap in 1984 at the Canadian Pacific Shops in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:15 pm 

Chemungvalleyrail wrote:
as "AMRoad" 4070 would be a popular attraction at a museum.
Would it be, really?
How many people even recall that movie these days other than train fans and 70s movie buffs?
Sure anyone reading this thread or forum would love to see her preserved in the movie colors, but how much of the public would even care?
I've been told that the 'wreck scene' locos from the movie "The Fugitive" on the Great Smoky Railroad at Sylva, North Carolina are hardly the tourist draw they used to and people regularly now ask what movie that was as many had never heard of it (and that's an early 90s movie).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm 

p51 wrote:
I've been told that the 'wreck scene' locos from the movie "The Fugitive" on the Great Smoky Railroad at Sylva, North Carolina are hardly the tourist draw they used to and people regularly now ask what movie that was as many had never heard of it (and that's an early 90s movie).

Ouch, I was unaware of this. That is a real shame, as it is one of Ford's best films.

I did make the Volo Auto Museum (they do own a caboose!) outside of Chicago aware of this situation, they were a little interested....but I can only imagine THAT moving bill.
If this hulk does go anywhere it would have to be someplace more offbeat.

After looking over satellite imagery the line the locomotive is located on appears to be OOS or abandoned, and to add further pain the line is paved over or completely removed at several road crossings....if it does go somewhere it will not be easy. Can an F-Unit be trucked?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:27 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
Can an F-Unit be trucked?

Yes, they are usually two trucked all the time. ZING!

On a serious note, yes, they can be trucked. But BIG $$$$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:49 pm 

This one is said to be engine less which removes a massive chunk of the weight.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm 

I'd think this would be child's play for the people who moved the PRR E-unit out of the wedding chapel. Now THAT was an interesting site to get a locomotive out of!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
This one is said to be engine less which removes a massive chunk of the weight.

Robert

I mentioned that to the folks at Volo.

Overmod wrote:
I'd think this would be child's play for the people who moved the PRR E-unit out of the wedding chapel. Now THAT was an interesting site to get a locomotive out of!

I completely forgot about that....
Weren't the Minnesota Zephyr units trucked to the mainline as well?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 pm 

Those two the wheels were shot. Owner had tried to build up flange thickness by welding. I believe they were trucked to the rail spur and shipped on flatcars. Might be wrong? They might have gone by truck to their new owner.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:40 am 

SOMEONE, PLEASE UPDATE THIS.