It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Equipment at Colonie, NY - Any updates?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am 

The word on the street was that CP was going to clean out the former D&H Colonie, NY yard this month. Any updates?

Post subject: Re: Equipment at Colonie, NY - Any updates?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:10 pm 

Probably nothing new has happened yet..
there is an active thread on another forum, with a few people from the Albany area keeping watch..no one has posted anything recently, which means (to me) it's most likely the locos are still just sitting there...Im sure as soon as the torches are lit, it will be posted quickly.

http://webmail.railroad.net/forums/view ... &start=210

Scot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm 

Yes, Nothing has changed as of 10/16/12. I go down to the yard a couple of times a week to check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 pm 

Really, genuinely... who cares. There's been lots of notice on this stuff, and anyone who cared about the equipment would have already acted. Including you. So why "care without caring" when you could put that care to use saving something else with better chances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Because we can't preclude the unlikely but non-zero chance that someone completely off our radar scopes could swoop in and surprise us with at least a "stay of execution" by rescuing at least some piece from there. Stranger things have happened in this field, you know.

But, yeah, I'm not optimistic. But I got hooted down and condemned for expressing my opinions on what I felt (from firsthand examination) was the last "hopeless case" I saw out there, so.......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 am 

robertmacdowell wrote:
Really, genuinely... who cares. There's been lots of notice on this stuff, and anyone who cared about the equipment would have already acted. Including you. So why "care without caring" when you could put that care to use saving something else with better chances.

I actually did make some phone calls several years ago regarding the NYC sleeper lounge, but got nowhere. One can hope that something else (besides the WM FA2) makes it out alive.

And in terms of "saving something else with better chances", I was involved with the effort to save the equipment that was also landlocked at the Binghamton NY Lackawanna station. For the record, three ERIE cars and one locomotive were freed from being landlocked several years ago following some extensive work.

Southern E8 6913 has made it home to Knoxville, TN and the other cars are awaiting a move to their final homes, all with owning organizations that HAVE cared for them and are working to make sure they are saved, not left abandoned.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:03 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Because we can't preclude the unlikely but non-zero chance that someone completely off our radar scopes could swoop in and surprise us with at least a "stay of execution" by rescuing at least some piece from there. Stranger things have happened in this field, you know.

In general, I agree... having been that person more than once.
But in this particular case, these units are famous in their peril... and have been so for rather quite a long time. I would venture to say they are the most famous imperiled equipment other than the Lost Engines of Roanoke.

I also don't see anything OMG amazing must-save in that string at Colonie. .. granted I am not an afficionado of eastern roads other than NYC, so the may be things I don't know.

Quote:
But, yeah, I'm not optimistic. But I got hooted down and condemned for expressing my opinions on what I felt (from firsthand examination) was the last "hopeless case" I saw out there, so.......

I know... but the ones at Colonie are famous precisely for being neglected. On your other unit that is merely a side effect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:56 pm 

Just an opinion, the locomotive at Colonie, which I would put most import upon, would be the ex-B&M RS3, and only because saving a B&M ALCO would be a nice museum piece. But unless I've missed something, other than service record, none of these are particularly rare locomotives, other than their decreasing in population world wide. I guess the ex-NYC stainless car is a nice catch...but really, there are some great places to invest motive power money other than this scrap line.
Am I missing something of their importance?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am 

There was/is and ex Long Island S-1 north of the overpass to the arsenal. Also I believe there is a wooden boxcar, but I am unsure of its heritage. Many of these pieces have already been canibalised in some way, but could be a suitable source of parts for other projects. It would be a shame to see useful items go to scrap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:12 am 

My partner and I made proposals with cash offers to the M&H chapter for the Glenmont equipment plus the 4082 in Colonie...no response even though it was presented in person. The ex Albany Port locos (RS3 and S2) are owned by another entity which may be defunct...the only known remaining member rebuffed our offers to purchase and move the equipment. At that time time it may have been possible to get close to a running RS3 from the 3 and possibly save the S2. The LIRR S1 is privately owned and not worth much with a cracked block. We also presented CP with a proposal to remove all the Colonie equipment if they could somehow take title to it and transfer title. It may have been possible for CP to decide to start charging storage fees and make a reasonable attempt to contact the owners and if payments were not made within a reasonable period of time take custody of the equipment and dispose of it however they see fit. Never got a response from CP even though it was a very detailed proposal and it would seem they would have multiple reasons to get the equipment off the property, mainly liability since people cross the main and now the yard tracks to get to it, and could get injured working or vandalizing it.

Since we inspected the equipment a lot of vandalism has happened from copper thieves and there's not much left to salvage except maybe the 2 remaining 244 prime movers. Hulks could go to museums. Apparently the ALCO museum now owns the 4082 but it will be tough to get it out of there.

The B&M unit was originally D&H 4082 which was traded to B&M for one of the steam generator RS3s. So it's not really a historical B&M unit but did operate on B&M for a number of years.

The stainless car is very hacked up, sitting on shop trucks and missing much of the exterior due to the owner cutting off pieces to sell for scrap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:51 pm 

Thank you for a knowledgeable write up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 pm 

As of this morning, 11/29/2014, the ALCO's and passenger cars remain, some hanging in air. The trees and brush have been removed with chain saws.

These were sent to me by my #2 son, so I can't comment directly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:11 pm 

Any idea if this is one of the Colonie units?
http://railswap.org/osc/classifieds/ind ... em&id=1870

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:33 pm 

Tavor wrote:
Any idea if this is one of the Colonie units?
http://railswap.org/osc/classifieds/ind ... em&id=1870

Received confirmation. The S2 is for sale either whole or in parts. The equipment in Colonie is all for sale and the above contact has permission to remove all but the S1 and the RS3. There are groups trying to get the baggage car and the World's Fair coach. Also a scrapper is at the ready.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:55 pm 

Try this link..
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... &start=465 it may help.

Mr.Starr