It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Westinghouse oil cup question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 am 

Can anybody identify the type of oil cup shown in this picture?

It's a Westinghouse part as it has the symbol on it, and the functional elements are very similar to the B-3 oil cup (the caps are in fact interchangeable). But I haven't been able to find a single image of this type of cup in any Westinghouse literature (including the "Oil Cup Catalogue" that Backshop Enterprises has posted on-line).

As this type of cup is common in this part of the world, it isn't just an oddity. I do wonder, though, whether it might be unique to Canada (i.e. a Canadian Westinghouse Co. variation on the basic B-3 concept).

Attachments:
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG [ 49.13 KiB | Viewed 9627 times ]

Post subject: Re: Another Westinghouse oil cup question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 pm 

Given the total lack of response so far I doubt it will help , be here are two more pictures showing this type of oil cup in use.

The first shows the oil cup on the 11" compressor on the Canadian Science Museum's Shay.

The use of pipe rather than tubing to connect the oil cup to the oil fitting on the compressor is perhaps a natural consequence of the fact that the cup is threaded 3/8" NPT. With the amount of relatively small pipe involved, the bracket is of course absolutely necessary to provide some degree of mechanical integrity, but strangely the design of the cup does not provide for positively attaching it to anything, and so the bracket merely cradles the square section of the cup.

The cup design makes more sense in cases where the cup can be threaded directly in the compressor, as is the second picture, which shows a cup mounted directly into the top of the HP air cylinder on the cross compound compressor on CNR Hudson 5702. But even in this case a bracket was evidently thought to be desirable, if perhaps only to prevent the whole unit screwing out when attempting to remove the cap.

This is not the usual oil feed location on compressors of this type. The normal location can be seen (plugged) to the right of the cup. Note also the letters on the air cylinder. These identify the compressor as having been produced by the Canadian Westinghouse Co of Hamilton Ontario.

Attachments:
IMG_0921.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG [ 108.89 KiB | Viewed 9368 times ]
5702 CC.JPG
5702 CC.JPG [ 195.52 KiB | Viewed 9368 times ]