It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nickel Plate Trail
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am 

I just received an e-mail updating me on the future of the Nickel Plate Railroad in Hamilton County, Indiana.

It seems that the City of Noblesville, City of Fishers and the Hamilton County Commissioners, who are the owners of the Hoosier Heritage Port Authority which controls the railroad, have decided to build the trail between Fishers and Noblesville, Indiana.

They are also going with the proposal of the operator that only wants to run the northern 8.5 miles of the railroad.

Post subject: Re: Nickel Plate Trail
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:38 pm 

News coverage: Fishers, Noblesville pick Nickel Plate rail plan that paves way for trail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:42 pm 

This is contrary to whats happening now, there are bids on the whole line and most would operate the rail line entirely, including the ITM who wants to run the fair train.

I'm watching for more news from some sources and I have not heard this, as far as I know the bidding is still on, if one of the leaders said they were not operating the whole line I think ITM would contest that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm 

This is indeed a FACT.

The city called for a meeting last night with little or no notice and had the meeting this morning at 8:15 a.m.

There were people signed up to speak, but they would not allow the public to speak.

I would say it may make the Indianapolis area news tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 pm 

The only comment I will make is 'read it'.

http://www.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/Docume ... View/10963

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 pm 

Guess the politicians there know how to do a "railroad job", huh?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:49 pm 

I wonder what happens now.....ITM has announced a direction to Logansport with perhaps running trains to Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 pm 

Quote:
I wonder what happens now

I think the scrappers are circling....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 pm 

Randy Gustafson wrote:

The details of page 12 make my head spin. Atlanta Pacific Railroad LLC is offering their professional services to help scrap and salvage the rails south of Arcadia (including tie disposal), as well as the "removal and disposal" of the "current operator's" land-locked equipment at Forest Park. Anything they can't use that belongs to ITM will be disposed of according to proper "museum conduct."

Wow. No wonder this proposal won the approval of the county officials, they were really singin' their tune!

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:14 am 

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Randy Gustafson wrote:

The details of page 12 make my head spin. Atlanta Pacific Railroad LLC is offering their professional services to help scrap and salvage the rails south of Arcadia (including tie disposal), as well as the "removal and disposal" of the "current operator's" land-locked equipment at Forest Park. Anything they can't use that belongs to ITM will be disposed of according to proper "museum conduct."

Wow. No wonder this proposal won the approval of the county officials, they were really singin' their tune!

-otto-

I was waiting for someone else to see that. It takes all kinds to think that they have some kind of a right to the ITM's equipment.

These people are suppose to make an investment in this railroad, but I see nothing in their proposal were they are investing any of their own money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 am 

Does ITM own the excursion equipment?

I see ITM having plenty of disputes here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 am 

I live in Indiana and am very close to this debacle. What people don't realize is that the railroad selected does not exist, it is a fictitious railroad with no equipment whatsoever. It is actually something called " Hamilton County Tourism" and is in cahoots with the "leaders" that want the south end removed! What they have done is selected themselves!! Talk about a conflict of interest!! The portion of the line they propose to run (8 miles) goes nowhere, other than what are little more than ghost towns with very little businesses open. Mostly just boarded up places. The big money is going SOUTH to Indianapolis, the very section they want to rip out. The section that had a $700.000 rehab just a few years ago to "insure the safe and continuing operation of the Fairtrain for many years to come". Like so many others in town are in agreement with, those for train and those for trail, the Nickel Plate Trail is likely the biggest political scam to ever hit cental Indiana!! Folks, if it can happen here, it can happen to your group/operation as well! I feel this could have a serious ripple effect throughout the museum/ preservation community across the country if these scam artists in Fishers, Noblesville and Hamilton County, Indiana get their way and defy the the overwhelming majority of residents that want to keep THE ENTIRE LINE INTACT..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 pm 

I am still waiting to see anymore "official" information from other sources. Otherwiae it sounds like some scam artising just like when some EBT rail was getting stolen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 pm 

The short sided thinking of these politicians amazes me. 150 years ago these same towns probably competed for the railroad to come through their town.

How many jobs does a trail produce? What maybe 2 guys to mow it...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 pm 

dinwitty wrote:
I am still waiting to see anymore "official" information from other sources. Otherwiae it sounds like some scam artising just like when some EBT rail was getting stolen.

I do not know how you think we are just conducting a scam here. Do a little internet searching and you will find plenty of info to prove that this fact.

Got to Hamilton County Government, Indiana

It was on at least 2 major Indianapolis TV news programs.