It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K2 or Kd class Pacific's
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm 

Hello
Hey, I'm new to this forum so I'm learning as I go! I have been looking, high and low, for information and hopefully drawings for the K-d Class 4-6-2 Pacific,like the one with a road number of 3528. If you Goggle ( 4-6-2 Pacific 3528) and click on Images, it is the first pic in the upper LH corner of the page. It could be a different road number but this is the class and the look which I want to copy! Apparently, and this makes it even more difficult, some were built with the 80" drivers, which is what I would like to do. Also, I don't know the RR that ran these. Any help with this would be much appreciated!
Thanks for any help you may offer!
Gary

Post subject: Re: K2 or Kd class Pacific's
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:06 pm 

3508 was previously Boston and Albany RR, became a New York Central engine. Previous number was 508

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:10 pm 

Now if I could only type correctly, NYC 3528, previous number was 528 when on the B&A.

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm 

https://sites.google.com/site/bostonalb ... tank/4-6-2

Heres a collection of their pacifics, the newer ones are pretty hefty, perhaps with near power as a berk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 am 

Hi Gary
I would suggest that you contact the New York Central system Historical society, they do have many drawing of their locomotives. Pat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:58 pm 

I looked at steamlocomotive.com, they have data on the pacifics, but not the Kd, I asked. maybe the NYC society does. If someone does perhaps they can forward that data to SL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 am 

Hi Gary
The KD was not built with 80" drivers, they had 75 " drivers, they needed the smaller drivers wheels in order to fight the Berkshire Hills. And the engine you are looking at number # 3528.
Here are the spec's on the locomotive, from the book Steam Locomotives of the New York Central Lines by William D. Edison, and H.L. Vail, Jr. Vol 1 Parts 1 & 2.
B&A Class Ke 4-6-2 cyl 22+26 drivers 75" Boiler pressure 200psi engine weight 238000
Traction effort 28520 Alco built
Built by Alco in Sept 1908 for the B&A as # 3528, the engine got renumbered in 1912 to #533, engine is then scrapped in Sept 1934.
Gary, you should still be able to find and buy this book from the New York Central System Historical Society, or on the Web.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm 

Quote:
B&A Class Ke 4-6-2

did you mean Kd?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 pm 

Hi dinwitty
Yes, Kd,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am 

Ok, thank you all for the help! I have now found some good photos, a little more info and I will certainly check out that book, much appreciated! I have decided to break my search down into what might be for a more doable solution. I am now looking for prototype chassis drawings for any Pennsy K-4 Pacific, as these had the 80"drivers and were the most plentiful locomotives out there ,so I'm hoping there will still be drawings available for that, in paper or digital form! If I can, with anyone's help,find those drawings I can do the K-4 chassis, which has a very similar look to the K-d ! Later then, maybe, I will at least be able to find an erection drawing for the K-d and then do rest of the cosmetic look from photos!
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 pm 

I'm pretty sure drawings for all the PRR class K locomotives in regular service are available in Pennsylvania, either from the State Archives or the collection in Lewistown.

But why wouldn't NYCSHS not have the plans and drawings of the actual locomotive? They do for many other classes including other B&A engines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:05 pm 

I appreciate the tips you have offered and I have now taken my project in an easier direction. I have learned that the Pennsy K4 and the Southern Pacific P4 are essentially the same engine, except for driver size, plus drawings are more available for either one. Having said that I have a few questions re those two locos.
-were the cylinders the same on those two engines?
-were the cylinders the two piece type,with the integral smoke box saddle?
-which one used the two wheel, Delta style, trailing truck?
-did the SP P4 also have 17 spoke drivers ,like the Pennsy K4?
-I do have drawings readily available for a Southern Pacific P 10. So, were the P4 and the P10, likewise, basically the same engine?

Thanks again for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:20 am 

Quote:
"I have learned that the Pennsy K4 and the Southern Pacific P4 are essentially the same engine, except for driver size"

Where the hell did you learn that?

Espee P-4s are modernized rebuilds of much older Pacifics, and have little if anything in common with the PRR K4 design or its leading dimensions. These engines did not get Delta trailing trucks until 1927-1929 (some with boosters, rare as hen's teeth on K4s); they had straight boilers of much tinier proportion without Belpaire fireboxes, their cabs were completely different in size and styling; their cylinder bore was tiny; in short, one of the closest things they share is driver diameter (77" for P-4 vs 80" for K4)

Data for both engines can be found at steamlocomotive.com -- enough data to convince anyone sane that the designs are radically different, as is the upgrade philosophy. See here: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=4-6-2&railroad=sp

P10s are very different from P-4s. That does not make them particularly like K4s, though. Among other things, the drivers were smaller than 74".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am 

Thanks for your reply but it's funny how a person can't even make one simple mistake, without immediately getting jumped on ! I meant to say " P10 that's P10 VS the K4 comparison! In the end is where I ask if the P4 and the P10 were that same, that should have given you a clue that my opening statement was wrong! So, might you want to try this again, so far I'm still listening!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 am 

See my last sentence. P10s have very little in common with K4s. You would not have any success 'converting' P10 plans into anything resembling a K4. Since K4 plans are relatively easy to obtain (as, I believe, are many pictures of disassembled components and assemblies from the two successful restorations plus the boondoggle still in progress) I see no reason whatsoever to kludge any Southern Pacific prototype or drawing if your interest is in a PRR engine.

And why did you give up on contacting the NYCSHS about plans for the original class you were interested in when you started this thread? You evidently didn't bother, or you'd have reported the reception you got from them. That is still the 'first best source' for detailed plans and drawings of any of the NYC lines Pacifics.