It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Progress on 1309?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:54 pm 

I'm sure many of you have seen the ads in various magazines stating the days they'll run the first trips.
That's such a bad idea when you're locomotive isn't even together yet, let alone not running.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm 

This is not a post about 1309, but a continuation of the discussion regarding the WMSR Foundation. So after months of seeming inactivity, I got an email this morning regarding the "Foundation Membership Drive for 2017" - listing two different levels now (instead of the prior 12) - one for those ages 12 and under, and one for "everyone else" - with swag listed under each category.

My question is - why now? The middle of July, and now a membership drive starts? Note there's no mention of work sessions, volunteering opportunities or Foundation projects in the email. Plus, the Foundation webpage now is integrated into the WMSR main web page, and merely lists the mission statement, the board members of the Foundation, and a "Join Now" link, that's it. (Seen at https://www.wmsr.com/wmsr-foundation/)

It seems to me, a former Foundation member, that it is a shell of what it once was, and won't get back to the fantastic work they had done under their original coordinator. I honestly hope I'm proven wrong.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

On July 11, the Trains newswire included an update:
Quote:
CUMBERLAND, Md. — The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad is receiving a $250,000 grant from the Maryland Board of Public Works to support general operations and equipment maintenance, WDVM News reports.
Link: Western Maryland Scenic receives $250K grant for operations, maintenance

I assumed that the article would not be available to non-subscribers, so I spent a few moments searching for the primary source, the WDVM News report. Here's that link: Maryland Board of Public Works supports Western Maryland Scenic Railroad with a grant

There's a very interesting detail towards the end of the article:
Quote:
Since its return to Frostburg, officials say they have received an overwhelming amount of support and continue to look forward to the future.

“To be apart of this, o have assembled a superior team to help propel us forward and take the next step and take us to the next level of where we need to be is phenomenal. I am living the dream job,” Garner said.

With plans to also change repaint the trains to circus colors and hopes to one day expand family themed events, eventually run year round and even add a steam locomotive.

That last sentence also seems to say that the railroad "hopes to one day....even add a steam locomotive") . Unfortunately, the article was not proofread before it was posted, so I can't tell whether or not it accurately describes the prognosis for #1309.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
With plans to also change repaint the trains to circus colors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm 

.......Oh, the pain, the pain!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 pm 

junior wrote:
Over at the NGDF, Brian B. pointed out that "Circus" is likely a reference to the red-white-black scheme that Western Maryland diesels were painted in from June 1969 to 1973.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:32 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
junior wrote:
Over at the NGDF, Brian B. pointed out that "Circus" is likely a reference to the red-white-black scheme that Western Maryland diesels were painted in from June 1969 to 1973.

The WM had one fluted coach that was in the red/white/black scheme. The Scenic now has at least one coach done this way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:08 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Dave Albright wrote:
The WM had one fluted coach that was in the red/white/black scheme.

And THAT was an ex-C&O coach shuffled over to them in the early C&O/B&O/WM merger days before the Chessie System. #1700 is now in the B&O Museum.

The WM also had some baggage cars and a work car or two in red-and-white with black roofs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm 

Does anyone have any info on the current status of 1309?

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:52 am 

They're working on it. It'll be done when it's done.

What, you expected "she's steaming around Helmstetter's" or "they gave up and are scrapping her" or "they're now putting an EMD 710 engine in the firebox"?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:40 pm 

On another forum news and photos of new flues being installed on 1309. Great news!

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:21 am 

By definition, this is the WM 'circus colors' scheme, for clarification:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1276/9 ... 1462375899

Streamline:
http://bjw121.rrpicturearchives.net/pic ... wm1700.JPG

Having ridden WMSR many times, that doesn't really bother me as long as I don't have to be the person responsible for keeping the white paint clean.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:06 pm 

Randy Gustafson wrote:
By definition, this is the WM 'circus colors' scheme, for clarification:

However, the quote in question didn't explicitly STATE "WM-style circus scheme." It simply said "circus colors." Which, to MOST people reading this, means "garish, loud, bright colors to get attention."

The "circus scheme" for the late WM red/white/black scheme is a nomenclature or shorthand used almost exclusively among WMRy modelers and historians--I can't even expect Midwestern railfans or the average Trains Magazine readers to universally know the term. The unexplained use of the term in a public release comes off as an example of sloppy writing--by someone or another.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 pm 

What's wrong with Pullman green and elegant Railroad Roman Extended in gold?

It seems hardly any heritage roads use that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:42 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
What's wrong with Pullman green and elegant Railroad Roman Extended in gold?

On stainless steel streamlined coaches? Because that's what WMSR runs, and what you suggest would look completely out of place.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next