It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Project SSW 336?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:03 pm 

There was a mention on another thread about this organization being on Facebook. I looked to see what I could find and the answer is, not much. I don't know if this is an old effort, a new effort, or exactly what, as I couldn't find any dates on the Facebook page. There seemed to be only one posting from a guy who did some painting on the engines tender, came back to do some more work and instead was told to leave. A little background on the locomotive itself. It is the only St. Louis Southwestern Railway steamer in existence besides 4-8-4 #819. Number 336 is a 2-6-0, which was a favored wheel arrangement on the Cotton Belt Route. Built by Baldwin (c/n 33286) in March of 1909, she weighs a bit under 80 tons and has 51" drivers. The SSW sold her in 1947 to a gravel company in Lewisville, Arkansas and she owes her existance to the fact that the surviving company eventually put her on display in Lewisville in 1963.

A restoration would seem to make sense, but not sure exactly what the story is here.

Les

Post subject: Re: Project SSW 336?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 pm 

Thanks Les...I feel that on the right pike, she'd be a nice engine. Sure would be fine if she could find a home where she could operate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:53 pm 

Someone showed up with some 99 cent cans of spray paint and hosed gloss black paint all over the rust and dirt. AND the only existing chalk diagram for the brakes of 819's aux tender (814's tender). They were told not to do that again. The museum is large and often staffed by older volunteers, and 336 is in the far back corner, no one realized what was going on for a few days.

336 looks in rough shape overall. She is a HUGE engine with tiny drivers for her layout. She has a lot of rust and some hacked repairs from her time in the gravel pit. I think the boiler may be in surprisingly good shape however. She would need a new tender and cab for sure, and most anything thin has rusted away, headlight is trash, etc. And then would need a place to run.

To clarify-the Facebook page was created by a railfan and in no way is any official source for ANY info on SSW819. SSW819 is owned by the Cotton Belt Rail Historical Society, same group that runs the Arkansas Railroad Museum and manages SSW 819, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:43 pm 

I heard from people that when they acquired her, she was in rough shape, worn out. She'd be a perfect museum engine, but due to her rough condition and the lack of funding by the guys in Pine Bluff, I don't see this happening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:37 pm 

One of my friends in junior high took pictures of her in the gravel pit, back in in mid 60s. She was awful junky back THEN. At least she isn't any bigger, if anybody really wants to try fixing her up.

Good luck with that.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:44 am 

Operation restoration is a large stretch, but maybe one that's cosmetic would do her good. Still would take a quite a large amount of money to do that too, but it's more realistic

Here is a photo of her in better days. If you look up her directly you'll see quite a bit of photos about her classmates, and all look great

https://goo.gl/images/3Qtzqo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:21 pm 

I don't know if this would be helpful, but I might be able to find the fuzzy old prints I have of this engine sitting in the gravel pit. If anybody who is trying to fix her up wants them, please shoot me a PM.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:47 pm 

Seen condition of locomotive would need new boiler to by made operational , cosmetical restoration is more likely . Visited museum last 7/14/2016.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 pm 

I ASKED THE TWO MUSEUM MEMBERS AND THEY SAID ALL MUSEUM NEEDS IS MORE VOLUNTEERS THIN FUNDS A LOT OF FUNDS HAVE BEEN RAISED OVER THE YEAR BY PEOPLE LOOKING TO HELP AND NOT STAYING TO WORK , AND AS FOR 336 SHE IS IN TO BAD CONDITION AND IT IS UNLIKELY THAT SHE WILL BE RESTORED AS THERE ARE TO MANY STARTED PROJECTS AND KNOW ONE TOO REALLY WORK THEM I TRY MY BEST TO GET THEY AND HELP CLEAN UP THE PLEASE WHEN I CAN BUT YOU NOW ,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm 

I thought the locomotive once displayed in Paragould (was it a 2-6-0?) was also a former Cotton Belt steamer? Where did that go?

Oops, just answered mu own question, it was Augusta Railroad 300. When I lived in Paragould from '74 to '77 it was already in very poor condition including needing a smokebox front, etc. I think it's now been moved?
Ned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:27 am 

Playing the devils advocate here. But which one of the mechanics who have deemed this locomotive not worthy of being restored to operation not worthy or doable have done and kind of real assessment? Without a pile of money or a place to run or crew to operate I agree with all the sentiment. But needing a new tender, cab and sheet metal jewelry like headlights does not constitute any kind of assessment. Rust alone does not necessitate a new boiler. Being used and abused was or is the status of just about any steam locomotive that made it past the scrap line. Any locomotive brought back to life is going to need a very thorough overhaul from top to bottom. You have to plan for that. Not having the money or the need to restore this locomotive makes the question moot. But the deplorable cosmetic condition and crappy paint job or graffitti mean almost nothing. I have no doubt without ever seeing the locomotive it is worn out and needs a lot of things like tires, axels and extensive boiler work. But how many late survivors didn't need or don't need all this extensive work?

The one thing all smaller tourist locomotives need is a lot of money and a reason to be restored and a place to run. Unless there is more to this story this seems to be lacking. Not trying to be a downer but opinions on restoring every cool locomotive to operation is fantasy. I like to fantasize as much as the next person but this is planet earth. Regards, John.