It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:43 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
The stretch of railroad from Switch #9 to Frostburg on the old C&P ROW is uphill (about a mile, I think). If they are installing a passing track down on the old WM roadbed at switch #9, there shouldn't be a need for a diesel. 1309 could reverse the trainset slowly down to the new relatively level passing track and do an engine run-around and pull the consist (tender-first) back to Cumberland. Not as aesthetic as turning the engine but is the standard practice on most tourist operations (Strasburg, Wilmington & Western, etc.).

I think you're forgetting that the GAP trail now occupies the former WM roadbed ......

Tim W.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 pm 

The GAP leaves the right of way outside of Frostburg, continuing on the WM ROW to Connellsville. There is some room to place a passing siding outside of Frostburg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:23 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
The GAP leaves the right of way outside of Frostburg, continuing on the WM ROW to Connellsville. There is some room to place a passing siding outside of Frostburg

Who's going to build this Passing Siding and who is going to pay for it....... ????

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:55 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:

Who's going to build this Passing Siding and who is going to pay for it....... ????

The siding already exists at Number 9 switch. Just needs some reconditioning. We were backed up to some trees taking this shot in 2011.

Attachment:
No 9 Siding.jpg
No 9 Siding.jpg [ 310.37 KiB | Viewed 7798 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:29 pm 

I do see one way on how you can take care of the curve issue but it would require some very close attention to detail. You do have some room between the passing siding and the main track at Frostburg. You can scoot the main track a few feet to the north, essentially closer to the passing siding. It could make the curve a little less sharp. However, that means you have to build out the passenger platform at the depot. What it be enough to make the approach more bearable? Unfortunately, I’m not an expert in that field. But I am sure the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad has already thought out this plan. At least I hope they did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm 

An awful lot speculation has caused a seriously large mountain of foam to be generated here. I think that someone with access to the WMRS management needs to clear this up. This is a significant enough operational problem that the WMRS has almost certainly developed plans to deal with it. While it is fun to "blue sky" this little problem, the only folks who have any say in this are the people at WMRS. IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:37 pm 

hamster wrote:
An awful lot speculation has caused a seriously large mountain of foam to be generated here. I think that someone with access to the WMRS management needs to clear this up. This is a significant enough operational problem that the WMRS has almost certainly developed plans to deal with it. While it is fun to "blue sky" this little problem, the only folks who have any say in this are the people at WMRS. IMHO.

I wish you the best of luck with that. We’ve been asking for that for years and have yet to get anyone related to WMSR management on here.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:41 pm 

Frankly, all of this smacks of the brouhaha about the alleged missing parts from 464 on NGD a few years ago. Turned out to be a lot of hot air; all of the parts miraculously turned up in time for the rebuild. Gee what a surprise.
Here, I suspect the management has things well in hand for 1309's operations- after all, they've had years to think about it!
So, my advice is: calm down folks.
Ned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
We’ve been asking for that for years and have yet to get anyone related to WMSR management on here.

Ask yourselves this question: If your business is endlessly criticized on one aspect after the other, what would be the impetus to indulge those hell-bent on a nonconstructive agenda?

Whether people here acknowledge this or not there is an overwhelming cache of individuals out there who are dead set on seeing the WMSR fail. This started WAY before the 1309 restoration was faced with it's setbacks and they simply used those setbacks as a catalyst to bolster their disdain. I don't blame the WMSR one bit for staying off the social media/forums. They could answer questions all day long but to what end? It won't stop the petulant trolls from stirring up another s***storm over trivial details.

Bottom line, don't get your hopes up like Jim said. Be happy the restoration is moving forward.

DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 am 

I have no affiliation with the WMS, but their management owes nobody outside of their group an explanation about the company's operational plans or their infrastructure. I sincerely hope the speculation posted here surrounding the Frostburg facilities turns out to be nothing more than that, but even if true that’s their issue to sort out.

Let's just sit back and wish their team the best of luck. I, and I'm certain most folks on this forum, am looking forward to patronizing the train when 1309 returns to operation, regardless of the trip duration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:25 pm 

nedsn3 wrote:
So, my advice is: calm down folks.

How dare you ask me to calm down! Inquiring minds want to know!!

Attachment:
115296060.jpg
115296060.jpg [ 185.4 KiB | Viewed 6741 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 pm 

See thread titled, “Should we be annoyed?” Irony.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 pm 

We'll exclude you Kelly. Just keep up those great shop posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 am 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Robert J wrote:
Well, back on October 30, 2018 you could have attended the '1309 Fundraiser' event which included access to WMSR’s Executive Director John Garner & Diversified Rail Services’ President Gary Bensman where it was specifically stated on the WMSR webpage "get the facts straight from the source!"

Here is the link:

https://www.wmsr.com/firedup/

So the question is for anyone here who is that interested in the 1309's status is did they attend this event? If so, your questions should have been answered and maybe you did not post here about same?

The problem with this approach is that, if my experiences with other projects can be any indication, it's "preaching to the converted." This is likely telling people who have already indicated a pro-1309/WMSR bent (with their willingness to pony up for a fundraiser) what they probably want to hear, in a public setting intended for media PR value. And bringing up an awkward point that may or may not have been properly addressed in such a setting is usually greeted about as well as a turd in the punch bowl.

When you're dealing with difficult and/or awkward situations--like an otherwise "trusted" employee making off with scrap/funds/confidential info and doing things they shouldn't--the conversations about such things are addressed on a "need to know" basis, and probably only with representatives of major underwriters (county, state, major RRs, whoever) behind closed doors.

I've been at similar (probably) events where I've had to raise finer technical points, way beyond the comprehension of most of the people there, and I've been pulled to the corner, back room, or whatever to talk in detail with the "right" person on the point in contention--not because something was being hidden, but because of the complexity of the issue.

Now, yes, it's COMPLETELY possible that the WMSR has hired someone to physically attend to the perceived problem with the approach to the turntable, and the track work is planned for the spring. Maybe it's not even an issue like some think it is. The only reason we're even inclined to take this seriously is that there have already been some "bone-headed mistakes" over the course of some time with this operation--some their own, some not their direct fault.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next