It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronet Phosphate 0-4-2T #6; then and now
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:14 pm 

Sammy,

I found this picture while "surfing" the internet... I thought you may like it especially since it is almost Christmas! Note the rear coupler on the ground. I am thinking this must have been taken after they switched her in error, and destroyed her frame extension...

Merry Christmas to you and Miss Audrey!

Cody Muse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 pm 

Cody -

Great shot! Thanks for posting it. IF this is the IC in Markham, then the building with the Budweiser sign is probably on the corner of 175th and Ashland Avenue. Although the Illinois Central Railroad called this Markham Yard, I think that tavern is actually in East Hazelcrest, Illinois and the yard itself in Homewood. Note that the front coupler of number 6 is also laying on the ground!

Of interest to me is the car right in front of the Porter. I think this may be the "park bench" Rock Island caboose that John Thompson also acquired when he was building his railroad "collection". If it is, then that caboose (that the Rock made from an old single sheathed wood boxcar), also made it to Monee, Illinois along with "Audrey". I technically owned that rare caboose at one time, but it did not survive the move and scrapping of equipment when IRM cleared the Monee property years later.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 pm 

And if you look in the Winter 2017 issue of Rail & Wire from Illinois Railway Museum, you will find an article on a simiar locomotive Coronet Phosphate #9 by H.K. Porter.

Both of them are far from their Florida working site! I hope for good things for both of them!

Ted Miles, IRM Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 am 

Ted -

Just want to point out that Coronet Phosphate # 9 is a 2-6-2T. Same builder; different wheel arrangement.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:21 pm 

To chime in my 2 cents worth, that IRM article most likely contains some information on the Coronet Phosphate industrial railroad which I don't have. If anybody can make me a photocopy, I'd sure appreciate it.

For that matter, I've heard stories about John Thompson's fotos being at the IRM, and stories about other folks with some earlier fotos of #6. In either case, I'll be happy to pay the costs of copying and mailing, if somebody is willing to share.

Thanks Cody for posting this great foto. It is indeed taken at Markham, and, Les, I think that must be your RI caboose. My theory about the beams, couplers, and footboards being removed is that it must have been done for loading, or maybe to fit on a shorter lowboy. The sag in the frame extension has started in this view, but is not nearly as bad as it is now. The dinkleberries may have been added after #6 left Florida --- it looks like somebody tried to fix it with too small a welder. The frame repairs everywhere else have good penetration and fusion, although they look a bit lumpy, they seem solid.

Thanks for your interest, and everybody,

Take Care, WORK SAFE, & HAPPY 2018 from Audreyland !!~!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:12 am 

Figured I would post this, I believe it is a picture of #6 in service. Note the middle left of the photo.

https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/38780

Cody Muse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:59 am 

Great detective work Cody. That certainly looks like her.

The back truck lives!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am 

Cody -

Wonderful find! Thanks for posting. Both you and Tom must have better vision than I do. I can make out the saddletanker in the photo, but I wouldn't be able to bet my money that it is number 6. Guess I've got to get a bigger computer screen!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:56 pm 

Cody,

Lol. I share Les' vision. Where and what am I looking at in the photo?

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:52 pm 

Wesley -

Check out the left center of the photo. I can see a saddletanker apparently pushing some phosphate cars up on a trestle or high ground. I can SEE the engine, I just can't tell for certain, which Coronet Phosphate locomotive it is. Hopefully it's number 6.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:44 pm 

Les,

A-HA! Up there!
Thanks,

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:46 pm 

Wesley -

Glad you found it. There isn't an exact date on the photo but there's a 1957 Chevy in the parking lot, so we know the photo was taken at least about that year, but possibly later. Also, what appears to be a Pennsylvania Railroad boxcar in the yard with the large Pennsylvania lettering on the left side of the door and the large PRR Keystone on the right side. Perhaps someone can give us a date as to when the Pennsy started using that particular paint scheme.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm 

My view SEEMS to show 3 drive axles. Possibly #5? Wishful thinking since we have #5 at our museum (Colfax WI)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:04 pm 

colfaxstation wrote:
My view SEEMS to show 3 drive axles. Possibly #5? Wishful thinking since we have #5 at our museum (Colfax WI)

Herb -

Boy, your eyesight is really great! I can barely make out the locomotive itself and you can see the drive axles! If it DOES have 3 axles, there's also Coronet Phosphate number 9 at IRM. So a 50-50 chance. And it still COULD possibly be number 6.

BTW, how's number 5 coming along?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:23 pm 

Gentlemen - It appears you are trying to do a bit of detective work using a very low res (36kb) image. You may have more success by following the "Order" tab on the web page, calling the phone number listed (850.245.6708) during their regular hours of operation (9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday) and ordering an 8" x 10" B&W print for $20.00. Who knows, maybe they can provide a hi-res scan for a fee. Best of luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next