It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SP SD-7 1518 (was Rock Island GP-7R 4506 at IRM)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 am 

starting new thread due to thread creep:

On another IRM thread, SP 1518/EMD 990 is reportedly "In service, returned to service or in process of restoration." My question: will it be restored in SP or EMD colors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:21 am 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SP SD-7 1518 (was Rock Island GP-7R 4506 at IRM)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 pm 

That's a tough question - I used to see it (as SP 5308) pulling NWP train 4 (the night passenger run to Eureka), and remember its single-chime air horn. That would be my choice.

Years ago I read something on the Internet that IRM was thinking about painting it in its EMD demonstrator colors. That's also good.

Whatever the choice, thanks to UP and IRM for preserving it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 am 

To backdate it beyond it's current condition, you would need to reinstall the dual controls, and "un-rebuild" the electrical cabinet, which was enlarged vertically up to the cab roof.

Taking it back to early SP, or EMD demo would require reinstalling the steam generator, water tank, and quite a bit more....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 am 

I'm aware SP rebuilt/upgraded 1518 so it is not as built now obviously. I understand the work needed to backdate her to as built but wanted to ask this - could it be backdated externally to EMD 990 or SP 5308 and keep the upgrades done by SP? I say this as if it had a steam generator reinstalled it would still be out of sight under the hood as it were. Most people would not be in the cab either and only the most knowledgeable would know/care about dual controls.

I would think this approach is close enough for the majority of railfans/visitors. It's not like say a SD40 rebuild in a SD45 carbody where the four missing cylinders make a difference in sound if painted for an original owner - that would be more inaccurate for example.

So an external backdating might be a good way to go to lessen the restoration work involved especially if there is more interest to see SP 1518 returned to EMD 990 or SP 5308 appearance. Since IRM is not far from EMD in LaGrange EMD 990 would seem to be the most appropriate choice for paint. Just food for thought here although I'm sure all of this has already been considered by Jamie and the department...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am 

Robert J wrote:
I'm aware SP rebuilt/upgraded 1518 so it is not as built now obviously. I understand the work needed to backdate her to as built but wanted to ask this - could it be backdated externally to EMD 990 or SP 5308 and keep the upgrades done by SP?

So an external backdating might be a good way to go to lessen the restoration work involved especially if there is more interest to see SP 1518 returned to EMD 990 or SP 5308 appearance. Since IRM is not far from EMD in LaGrange EMD 990 would seem to be the most appropriate choice for paint. Just food for thought here although I'm sure all of this has already been considered by Jamie and the department...

In a word; "NO".

The steam generator goes right along with the water tank, identical in size and shape to the fuel tank. (VERY visible difference)

Another visible difference is the bulge on the roof for the enlarged electrical cabinet, visible as the rusty hump right behind the cab.

The external differences due to rebuild here are far greater than those which prevented going back to the delivery scheme on the CRI&P 4506,
so why would IRM give this historically more important loco, a historically less accurate restoration?

Jeff

Last edited by Jdelhaye on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 am 

Jdelhaye wrote:
In a word; "NO".

Jeff

I like that !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm 

Jdelhaye - thank you for clarifying details involved if SP 1518 were to be backdated. You have to admit unlike a IC/ICG Paducah rebuild of a Geep (with chopped nose, ox yoke filters, frog eye headlights) the SP rebuilds look close to as-built at a glance. That enlarged electrical cabinet is not very obvious and detracts very little from the classic SD7 profile.

When I discussed this while at IRM if was a brief conversation as Jamie was busy (When is he not busy? LOL!) so we didn't have time to get into the details which is why I didn't know "the rest of the story". Please keep in mind as you are active at IRM you know much more about what goes on and the whys of decisions made than someone like me who only visits occasionally. So if I have offended you with my asking about painting SP 1518 back to EMD 990 or SP 5308 that was not my intent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

Robert J wrote:
You have to admit unlike a IC/ICG Paducah rebuild of a Geep (with chopped nose, ox yoke filters, frog eye headlights) the SP rebuilds look close to as-built at a glance. That enlarged electrical cabinet is not very obvious and detracts very little from the classic SD7 profile.

I agree. That is why I asked the original question.

Whatever they decide is OK with me. The quality of IRM diesel restorations is high.