It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR T1 Build Update
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 am 

I was told where the assembly will take place at, but will not share that information publicly. All I can say is that it is a well equipped facility with active rail access.

The T1 Trust guys are top notch. They don't let such things get by them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:40 pm 

2018 is going to be an exciting year for the T1 Trust. Many of the questions being asked here have already been addressed on our FAQ on the website. I always encourge people to read our FAQ as well as Newsletters to fully understand the project.

Early on, we made an executive decision to only announce what we have done and not what we might do. Oppurtunities come up and plans change, we don't want to make promises we can't keep. There are already enough naysayers, we don't need to give them any amunition.

Stay tuned and feel free to make a donation and see what happens next. The projext moves at the speed of donations, cash and/or services.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 pm 

jasonjohnson wrote:
Early on, we made an executive decision to only announce what we have done and not what we might do.

A fatal error. This is why the project gets little press, unfortunately. The secrecy surrounding the project precludes any effective reporting that would generate support.

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:54 am 

I’d rather be in the news less than being in the news more for the wrong reasons. I’d like to hear more from them more often but i don’t see anything wrong with only saying what you did

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:20 am 

Otto Vondrak wrote:
jasonjohnson wrote:
Early on, we made an executive decision to only announce what we have done and not what we might do.

A fatal error. This is why the project gets little press, unfortunately. The secrecy surrounding the project precludes any effective reporting that would generate support.

-otto-

Sorry, I don't see any secrecy around the Trust. Indeed, all Trust news are based on facts. It is a sheer success story! Everything the Trust publishes shows progress. I think this is an excellent marketing strategy.

The very comparison to the 1361* - story may show one more reason why so many people fund a group building something "unhistorical" from scratch rather than other allegedly much more important icons of steam.

Waiting for the day she burns good, cleeeen coal! :-)

Mike

* for the easily offended: Just an example.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 am 

Otto Vondrak wrote:
jasonjohnson wrote:

-otto-

The T1 folks seem to be following how the A1 Trust operated (something I've read they base themselves off of quite closely) which means only announcing when parts are ready for funding, or have been completed. Indeed, the website shows a nice lot of stuff either ready for funding, or ready for fabrication with a small number of bits and pieces now "complete".

The Trust is only in it's fourth year of operation. The UK's own A1 Trust took some 18 years (1990-2008) to achieve their dream. If they want to ape the UK's own groups and continue with other new builds after that (everyone has a shopping list, just like the A1, and Patriot Trusts do in the UK) then the T1 will be a truly excellent poster child for such future efforts as they'll have proven themselves while in charge of such a project.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 am 

The railfan community is our own worst enemy. A project such as the T1 Trust is not going to garner much financial support from the railfan community but it could be subject to much ridicule and derision for completely spurious reasons. Apparently the donors are being effectively communicated with to the extent that parts are continuing to be made, so deciding not to tell the railfan community every little thing about the project is not hurting them financially.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:26 pm 

Rick Rowlands makes an important point. It's abundantly clear that the traditional " railfan" base community will not produce sufficient financial support to take this project to the finish line and thus it will depend on new sources of support.

Limiting press releases to celebrate accomplished milestones is a smart strategy.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm 

yes it is. Railfans have a bad taste in our mouths from efforts that have seen large amounts of cash going in, and with little to no results. So every accomplishment is a well deserved feather in their cap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 pm 

Hello,

Thank you for the responses to my inquire.

The Trust is building an interesting selection of "showpiece" parts. IMHO the roller bearing side rods noted as being ordered will be a very impressive addition to this lot, especially in oiled high polish.

There is a whole generation in the United States that have little to no exposure or understanding of what a steam locomotive is. If they do it may be a limited understanding and not realizing how large and to what performance extreme these machines reached at the zenith of their development. This video and the appreciation of the spectators is an example of my point. The folks at this California commuter station may have thought ....."this was not a typical Amtrak train!" The man talking in the video was giving his six year old son the .....full exposure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5eggYBVAYiI

Recently, I subscribed to the Make Magazine which is to me is this generation's "Popular Mechanics" but on steroids. Maker faire's are showing up in Barnes & Noble stores here locally along with large dedicated events across the country. It's refreshing to see a creative movement growing like this.

Perhaps the Trust could participate in one of the large Maker events and reach a different genre. Maybe they already have. With the Trust designing the T1 in 3-D solids it can reach more into the tech community.

It's really encouraging to see the progress. The tender acquisition has really bolstered the pace.

Sincerely,

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:04 am 

Randy Musselman wrote:
There is a whole generation in the United States that have little to no exposure or understanding of what a steam locomotive is. If they do it may be a limited understanding and not realizing how large and to what performance extreme these machines reached at the zenith of their development. This video and the appreciation of the spectators is an example of my point. The folks at this California commuter station may have thought ....."this was not a typical Amtrak train!" The man talking in the video was giving his six year old son the .....full exposure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5eggYBVAYiI

Randy

You are not alone in these observations--the wonderful Hayley Enoch has seen them, too, and from "real" railroaders:

http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/observation- ... nters.aspx

Quote:
For a few fleeting moments, the 765 infiltrates spaces that have been meticulously sanitized of every sign that its kind once held unchallenged influence here, and holds its own against its replacements. . .

No matter how the people witnessing the train’s passing react, though, there is always a sort of reverential humility apparent in their demeanor. They may have some vague idea that steam preceded the diesel locomotives rumbling and rolling around them, but never realized how complex and finely calibrated it was.

More and more, I realize this is the reason I want to see main line steam in a regular venue of some kind. . .indeed, even how this is an argument that this is not just desirable, but necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am 

Hello,

To J3a-614, thank you for forwarding Haley's post, very well stated.

Sincerely,

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 am 

The biggest concern has always been the frame. Have they determined if the capability to cast such a large, complex shape still exists anywhere in the world?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 am 

That has already been covered in recent days. Here's a recent quote from Trains Magazine.

Quote:
"We were told it would take two or three attempts before the builders could get a good cast, and that would put the cost of the frame past $1 million. Our frame will therefore be a combination of casts welded together."

So they'll be casting the frame out of smaller sections and welding them together. They're doing computer modeling to decide on the best locations for the welds to ensure the necessary integrity is there and that it will meet FRA standards. Frame design is supposed to be wrapped up this month, per Trains Magazine.

initially, it perhaps sounds risky. But then I remember the names involved with this project, that I'm no engineer, and that it's foolish to hold this project to the best standards of the 1930's and 1940's when technology has marched on over the past 75 years. So I'm sure it's covered and that we can expect the foundation of this locomotive to last.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm 

The frame will be a combination of good lost-foam castings and formed sections. Welding technology that can perform effective and reliable full-penetration welding of sections 6" or greater is well-established and well-demonstrated, as are the methods needed to stress-relieve and heat-treat the resulting substructures and then complete frame to much better metallurgical state and internal integrity than any historical cast engine bed could ever be.

People keep making the mistake here (perhaps logically for historic-preservation experts) that obsolete heroic technologies remain the only way to achieve 'obsolescent' structural results ... cost-effectively or not. I'd have thought the experience with the alloy rods would have solved that; perhaps the experience with the frame will make it clearer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next