It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Valley Railroad Acquires Another GE 80 Tonner
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:24 pm 

Ok Rick , at 96,000 lbs 2 Cat side booms with 48,000 lbs each could have done it if each had a 2 legged sling good for 50,000 lbs at 60 degree angle hooked to the two lifting eyes at each end of the GE as long as the center of the load was kept within 10' from the side of the Cat. Handling though would be more delicate and have to be on good solid ground and sharp turns would be difficult . A 2 or 3 machine pick works the best for a rectangular object with multiple cranes because the load will not change as much between them as it can with 4 machines . 2 Cats hooked mid hood as in Hot Metals pictures, with a third on the hind end ,maybe with a drawbar sling would be more maneuverable and more inside the capacity of the Cats. About 34,000 lbs each for the front 2 and about 28,000 lbs for the rear one. With 4 Cats at +/- 24,000 lbs each you can go any where , mud , soft wet ground , hills ,etc. but it looked like mostly gravel to me !

Last edited by M Secco on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 am 

How much all this cost is probably no one's business but I wonder if it is safe to presume that the professional move cost more than the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:10 pm 

True...
$35K for the locomotive, $20K for Hulcher, $25K for Smith Hauling and about $7K to Barnhart Crane for unloading.
The cost of doing business when you don't have the manpower or time to do it on the cheap!
J.David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:31 am 

"if each had a 2 legged sling good for 50,000 lbs at 60 degree angle hooked to the two lifting eyes at each end of the GE as long as the center of the load was kept within 10' from the side of the Cat."

Assuming the lifting points were 12' apart, to obtain a 60º angle each sling would have to be 12' long. I would estimate the height of the lift points to be at least 5' off the ground. Now you have to lift the locomotive over the stinger and rear end of the trailer which I would estimate at 3' off the ground. I'm now gonna guess that a side boom two blocks at a lot less than 20', even boomed up tight.

Just messin with ya Mark !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:57 pm 

Good point but the eyes I believe ( not sure ) are about 8'ish apart . When you're figuring a lift it pays to get as accurate as you can with the correct figures when dimensions are tight . An inch clearance is as good as a mile! Of course if no wires were present the sky's the limit . If you buy custom slings for your special lift then you have them for later use with your precious item. All I'm really saying is educate your selves so you can see options ,to save as much money as you can and still get the job done safely . All the figures are on-line about the different machines capacities. There can be a 50% difference in prices between sling suppliers . Shop around.

Any money you want to throw away , PLEASE throw it to Illinois Railway Museum ,Crane Safety and Training .
Thank You.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:26 am 

I'm interested in updates on this locomotive since it spent so much time in my hometown. Is it still undergoing restoration?