It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MBTA FP10 (F10) Fates
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:59 pm 

ATK wrote:
I had long forgotten about this thread. As an update to the list above, Metro North 413 was donated to Danbury Railroad Museum back in June of this year.

Donated or loaned? I have always been told all of the former Metro North equipment is on long term loan, as Metro North can not donate out of state.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Anyone happen to have good pictures of the top of the HEP equipped units?

Which members retained steam generators and for how long?

MBTA 1100-1114 were delivered with HEP and 1150-1153 had steam generators. I don't have the exact date for HEP conversion of the latter but it was within a few years of their delivery as the MBTA phased out the last steam heated coaches in the early 1980s.

Here are links to a couple overhead views of HEP-equipped FP-10s. Wish I had shot some that were closer!

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/644632/

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=245799

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:08 am 

Tom,

Thanks for the information and the pictures. Those are helpful.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 am 

Here MBTA 1114 is as GM&O 811A. Now, these units are worth preserving:

Attachments:
GMO811A-2.jpg
GMO811A-2.jpg [ 135.5 KiB | Viewed 5405 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 pm 

The FP10, and unmolested examples of the F9PH rebuilds for Marc are both worthy of preservation. The last two powered F9PH units in Marc configuration are owned by IPH and are for sale. There is one engine less cab car in preservation currently at the B&O museum.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm 

Nova55 wrote:
Donated or loaned? I have always been told all of the former Metro North equipment is on long term loan, as Metro North can not donate out of state.

Donated, they found a way I was told. FP10 413 and the ex NYC baggage car (infamous FDR car) were donated together and delivered there this year.

This also helps clear a way to get RS3m 605, NYC painted FL9 2013, the double ended crane with it's two flats donated too and under DRM ownership.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:06 am 

PMC wrote:
I know of a GM&O fan/ former ICG employee who is looking for a shell of an ex-GM&O F3/F10 to display, she is the person who found and donated a GM&O F3 (unconverted) shell still in GM&O paint to a town in Missouri (Union?) only to have it scrapped by the city council before she knew what happened.

I was just trying to find out about this unit. Was it GM&O 880B? This was gutted at Paducah by ICG, and the donated or sold and moved in the mid-80’s? Was there a plan for it when it was moved and displayed? Does anyone know more about this story?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:41 am 

I was at the Danbury Rwy museum last weekend and saw 413. They have it looking as it would during much of it's Metro North life: with a small branch line train.

Also, it looks like MBTA 1101 is currently for sale:
https://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/news/2021/04/27/seaboard-air-line-fp10-4033-6/

Attachments:
Screenshot_20220713_073901_com.android.gallery3d_edit_15831036890292.jpg
Screenshot_20220713_073901_com.android.gallery3d_edit_15831036890292.jpg [ 426.5 KiB | Viewed 2817 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:55 am 

Regarding GM&O #884A/MBTA #1151/MNCR #412/ADIX #1502, the rumor is that it will be up for sale in the near future, along with the ex-Alaska Railroad #1508 also at Adirondack Railroad. The Adirondack purchased an ex-CN MLW M420W last fall and an ex-GB&W/ex-Minnesota Commercial Alco C424 this year and is looking at phasing out the F-units, due to worn-out condition, less operational flexibility, and simplifying their parts inventory.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:33 pm 

New773 wrote:
PMC wrote:
I know of a GM&O fan/ former ICG employee who is looking for a shell of an ex-GM&O F3/F10 to display, she is the person who found and donated a GM&O F3 (unconverted) shell still in GM&O paint to a town in Missouri (Union?) only to have it scrapped by the city council before she knew what happened.

I was just trying to find out about this unit. Was it GM&O 880B? This was gutted at Paducah by ICG, and the donated or sold and moved in the mid-80’s? Was there a plan for it when it was moved and displayed? Does anyone know more about this story?

Sorry for the three years late response, I just saw this. If you join the Illinois Central/Gulf Mobile & Ohio/Illinois Central Gulf Memories facebook group and search for LP Fowler you will see many posts on it, she is the person (at that time an ICG operating employee I believe) who bought it and had it moved to display outside of the Farber MO depot only to have the city scrap it without telling her (just my observation, but as a general rule, cities and counties make terrible, fickle landlords for railroad preservation). Here is one post along with her photos:

"Here's the GM&O 880B move pictorial. My family (including me) are here in these shots..can you pick them out? The progression is first column to second to third, read down. A couple of the helpers over by the main were ICG MOW guys. The two wires you see in a shot or two, were a PFO return wire that set the flashers off when I cut them to move 880B through the pole line...hehe. Sadly, the town cut her up after I left for a job out of state, not telling me until they were already underway. I cried, and still hurt over it when I think of her. All I ever wanted was my own GM&O F3...and they took her away..."

Still would like to see one of these saved, say at IRM or Monticello, not many GM&O diesels preserved (and yes I know that ICG gutted them, but cosmetically at least those things can be changed back).

Edit: I keep calling it Union but it was actually Farber MO, I am terrible with proper names, human or otherwise).

Attachments:
GM&O 880B.jpg
GM&O 880B.jpg [ 161.27 KiB | Viewed 2674 times ]

Last edited by PMC on Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:04 pm 

Sorry to hear about the demise of GM&O #880B. My condolences to L.P. Fowler and her family. From the last photo in the sequence, it looks like there was a caboose coupled to the F3 and also some type of signal next to the two pieces of equipment. Did the caboose and the signal also meet the torch?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:28 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Sorry to hear about the demise of GM&O #880B. My condolences to L.P. Fowler and her family. From the last photo in the sequence, it looks like there was a caboose coupled to the F3 and also some type of signal next to the two pieces of equipment. Did the caboose and the signal also meet the torch?

Les

Doing a search now, I know it isn't there anymore, though I believe the depot still is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:10 pm 

PMC wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

Les

Doing a search now, I know it isn't there anymore, though I believe the depot still is.

PMC -

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the display track is still there by the depot? I looked for info on the caboose and found a photo indicating that it might have been a center cupola wood caboose which looked like it was possibly ex-Norfolk & Western. Couldn't find a road number though, or any other info.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:14 pm 

Found out from the source, indeed it was an ex-N&W caboose: "Knowing them they scrapped that too.. That caboose was one of the very few CF cabooses from Norfolk and Western that were left in the country..It was given by the Norfolk and Western railway to Mexico Missouri to put in their park. Mexico Missouri wanted it removed from the park so the city of Farber acquired it for their depot. I painted it into Chicago and Alton, which the Chicago & Alton had one similar but was not a CF caboose.."

Here is a 2015 photo of the depot by Jeremy J Schrader, it sits in a city park after being donated by ICG and moved, the spur track and caboose are gone, presumably scrapped at the same time as the F3. Something called the Farber Depot Association acquired the F3 with the help of Ms. Fowler, she went to Paducah and picked it out, it was missing traction motors and the engine but still had a steam generator (it was a dual service unit). ICG donated it and the group paid $3000 to ship it.

In a comment on this photo Ms. Fowler says: "This is such a very sad very sad sight.. All the rail that we laid out in front of the depot, the caboose, the F3A that I so desperately wanted and got and moved in the place here gone.... I wonder if they got rid of all my TO forks and hoops, scissor phone, patch panels, Telegraph keys and sounders, motorcar signal indicators times too, not to mention about another 50 other items.. They probably threw them away.. the dip sticks.. I see that all the lenses in my train order pole are all broken out and I assume that my target signal sitting there by the tree is probably been all busted up as well.... "

Attachments:
Farber depot.jpg
Farber depot.jpg [ 132.13 KiB | Viewed 2584 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 am 

NJDixon wrote:
Regarding GM&O #884A/MBTA #1151/MNCR #412/ADIX #1502, the rumor is that it will be up for sale in the near future, along with the ex-Alaska Railroad #1508 also at Adirondack Railroad. The Adirondack purchased an ex-CN MLW M420W last fall and an ex-GB&W/ex-Minnesota Commercial Alco C424 this year and is looking at phasing out the F-units, due to worn-out condition, less operational flexibility, and simplifying their parts inventory.

As rumored, GM&O #884A/MBTA #1151/MNCR #412/ADIX #1502 is leaving the Adirondack Railroad. It was spotted with the Adirondack lettering painted out and LTEX reporting marks painted on. No clue what it's fate will be out to Larry's Truck and Electric will be, but according to some of the Adirondack workers "both of the Fs need more repairs than they're worth, or rather we can afford" and mentions of the #1502 needing "a whole body swap". The ex-Alaska Railroad F7A #1508 and ex-Metro North FL9 #2007 that are at the Adirondack are also headed to Larry's.