It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WA Young and Sons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 am 

I was just watching this video with our own Rick Rowlands and I was curious about the place.

https://youtu.be/9cSW9KQWIoY

Post subject: Re: WA Young and Sons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 am 

Well, if you were with Rick while you were watching it, he could have answered any question you had. He's the expert.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:27 am 

I think Ed meant that the video was with me. I created it a couple of years ago down there.

WA Young is a National Historic Landmark. Wood framed 2 story foundry and machine shop, last operated in 1965 but not changed since the WWII era. It is owned by Rivers of Steel Heritage Corp. and is open on Sundays. We do some occasional projects down there and work to keep the machinery running. Worth a visit if you are ever in the Pittsburgh area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am 

Wish something similar could happen for the Watts Campbell company in Newark, NJ. A similar type situation, a machine shop dating back well over 100 years also containing a great deal of operable, belt driven machinery. Unfortunately in this case the building, which also dates back to the beginning of the company, is collapsing with all the historic equipment still inside. Mr. Chad Watts still owns the machinery in the building but from what I understood after speaking with him no longer owns the building. He was looking for a place to hopefully establish a museum for the equipment, but lacks the funding to move the equipment out on his own and a location to move to. There are videos and pictures of Watts Campbell online.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:57 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
I think Ed meant that the video was with me. I created it a couple of years ago down there.

WA Young is a National Historic Landmark. Wood framed 2 story foundry and machine shop, last operated in 1965 but not changed since the WWII era. It is owned by Rivers of Steel Heritage Corp. and is open on Sundays. We do some occasional projects down there and work to keep the machinery running. Worth a visit if you are ever in the Pittsburgh area.

Ahh, yes, exactly.

I wasn't sure how you were related to it. I figure everything you touch turns to gold...

It reminds me that the folks involved would probably really appreciate the work that Keith Rucker is doing: http://vintagemachinery.org/ and one of my favorite Youtube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ksruckerowwm/featured