It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WWII Troop Sleepers/Kitchen Cars
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 1999 9:21 am 

Our museum (Hoosier Valley RR Museum in North<br>Judson, Indiana) has both a WWII Troop Sleep-<br>er and a Kitchen car. The sleeper was dona-<br>ted to the museum by NS (and had originally<br>been sold by Pullman to the Wabash) and the<br>kitchen car was privately donated (and had<br>originally been sold by Pullman to the C&EI).<br>HVRM would eventually like to repaint and<br>reletter these cars as a Troop Sleeper and as<br>a Kitchen car. Anybody out there got any ideas as to where we would go to get info?<br>It seems to me that I recall reading an article about these cars in some publication<br>some years ago but I can't remember where!<br>Anybody know if something WAS) published?<br>We need to know car number series and also (at least in the case of the troop sleeper)<br>something about the bunk beds (how many, how<br>they were set up in the car), where was the<br>Porters area, etc.) Anything anyone can<br>help us with would be appreciated. Thanks!!<p> L. Beckman<br> Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum<br> P. O. Box 75<br> North Judson, IN 46366<br><br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: WWII Troop Sleepers/Kitchen Cars
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 1999 9:18 pm 

I think Spencer Shops did a similar project recently and should have some documentary stuff available. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 1999 10:26 pm 

The B&O Museum did a partial restoration of their Pullman troop sleeper about four years ago, including a complete exterior repainting in Pullman colors. A call to Courtney B. Wilson, Chief Curator, might turn up some useful information. The Museum's number is 410-752-2490.<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 1999 5:22 am 

The Gaithersburg, MD Railroad Museum has a "troop sleeper" kitchen car. That car and the B&O Museum's sleeper were both ex-Western Maryland camp cars.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net