It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scanned Slides
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:11 am 

Another Slide:

This is a duplicate Ektachrome of AT&SF Plan #4092 6 section-4 double bedroom-1 drawing room (6S-4DB-1DR) sleeper Kiowa Tribe. In April and May 1940, Pullman rebuilt 7 Plan #3584 (various suffixes) 10 section-2 drawing room (10S-2DR) sleepers to Plan #4092 sleepers for the Santa Fe, specifically for assignment to the California Limited. 4 of the 7 cars which were rebuilt had been originally built in September 1929 in Lot #6284 to Plan #3584B for the Chief with Peak-series names; 1 of the 7 cars had originally been built in December 1924 in Lot #4836 to Plan #3584 with a Point-series name for the Santa Fe; and 2 of the 7 cars had originally been built in May 1926 in Lot #4961 with Point-series names for the general service pool. One of the two cars from Lot #4961 was the Point Edward, which was rebuilt to the Kiowa Tribe. 6 of the 7 cars were withheld from lease in October 1962 and were subsequently sold to the CHP in Mexico; the Attakapa Tribe had been withheld from lease in September 1960 and transferred to the MofW department as #198621; no further disposition info. Specifically, the Kiowa Tribe became CHP #510 Bahuichivo in 1963; no further disposition info. When I posted this slide to Trainorders, I initially didn't have any info on the photographer, date, or location, but TO member "dan" theorized that it was taken at Denver Union Station.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4509495

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:14 pm 

Another Slide:

This is a duplicate slide (brand unknown) of 2 of Rio Grande's 3 diesel-hydraulic engines built by Krauss-Maffei leading a westbound manifest up the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, towards Rocky Siding and the Big Ten Curves. When I posted this slide to Trainorders, I initially didn't have any info on the date or photographer, but TO member Ed Burggraf (handle "Auburn_Ed") said he was there that day, which was February 11th, 1962, and that the other 2 people there were Ken Crist and Wes Haas.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4593087

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:33 pm 

Another Slide:

This is a duplicate slide (brand unknown) of FW&D modernized/streamlined ("Betterment") Pullman Plan #4036J 8 section-5 double bedroom (8S-5DB) sleeper Castle Range, taken by Dick Kuelbs in what I believe is Dallas at an unknown date. The Castle Range had been built in February 1917 as the Plan #2410F 12 section-1 drawing room (12S-1DR) sleeper Levant, and was rebuilt to the Castle Range in July 1940 for the Texas Zephyr. It was sold to the FW&D at the 12/31/1948 Pullman divestiture and leased to Pullman for operation. It was withheld from said operating lease in August 1962.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4597807

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 pm 

Another Slide:

This is an original Kodachrome of GN passenger-equipped F7A #364A, taken by Jim Claflin in St. Paul, on April 13th, 1966. The #364A survives today, as it became BN #9726, was reassigned to freight service in May 1976 as #704, was sold in December 1980 to the short-lived Seattle & North Coast RR (which operated the isolated ex-MILW line between Port Townsend and Port Angeles, WA) as #103, was later resold to the Iowa Northern, then went to the Grand Traverse Dinner Train as #1950. The operation became the Columbia Star Dinner Train in June 2011, and the cars and engines, including the nee-#364A, were later purchased by Wisconsin Great Northern.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4593091

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 pm 

Another Slide:

This is a duplicate slide (brand unknown) of Milwaukee Road SD40-2 #160 (and #202 behind it), taken by an unknown photographer in Pig's Eye Yard in St. Paul in March 1981.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4557151

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:30 am 

Another Slide:

This is a duplicate Ektachrome of Pullman Plan #3585A 10 section-1 drawing room-2 compartment (10S-1DR-2C) sleeper Lake Caroline, built in July 1925 in Lot #4888, 1 of 24 such cars built in that Lot; 8 were built for the Capitol Limited and 16, including the Lake Caroline, were built for the 20th Century Limited. Retained by Pullman at the 12/31/1948 divestiture, repainted from Pullman Green to Two-Tone Gray in December 1954, and sold for scrap to an unknown company in March 1970. Photographer, location, and date are unknown.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4557145

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:39 pm 

Quite a few of the slides you have posted appear to be in Denver, and from special moves/trains, such as ski club charter trains from the Midwest and out west. On one hand, these make for interesting photos, as this heavyweight Pullman fleet was rapidly vanishing in the timeframe these photos were taken. The 3 Pullman photos on this page are very interesting, and very late examples of these cars in general services. On the other hand, it makes placing the photos very difficult, as these cars appear in places they otherwise wouldn't - as I recall, a previous post had PRR cars at the station in Houston.

Chris.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:19 am 

Additional Slides:

These 2 duplicate slides (brand unknown) of Milwaukee Road sleepers #29 Wisconsin Dells and #25 Chippewa River were both taken in Bensenville, IL, at an unknown date by an unknown photographer.

The first slide is of the Wisconsin Dells, a 16 duplex roomette-4 double bedroom (16DXR-4DB) sleeper built by Pullman-Standard in January 1949 in Lot #6775 to Plan #4147D, leased to Pullman for operation, withheld from said lease in July 1965, retired in 1969 and subsequently scrapped. The Chippewa River can be seen in the background to the right of the Wisconsin Dells.

The second slide is of the Chippewa River, a 8 duplex roomette-6 roomette-4 double bedroom (8DXR-6RM-4DB) sleeper built by P-S in December 1948 in Lot #6775 to Plan #4135, leased to Pullman for operation, withheld from said lease in July 1965, retired in 1969 and subsequently scrapped. The Wisconsin Dells can be seen in the foreground to the left of the Chippewa River.

Both of these slides were extremely faded, and it took a considerable effort in Photoshop to bring back the colors at all. This fact makes it barely noticeable, but both cars at their non-vestibule ends have stenciling which likely reads something like "this car shipped from storage in Pullman Company shops Calumet to MILW R.R. Bensenville. Not to be [illegible] in revenue service". If that sounds familiar, it's because some of the Al Chione Ektachrome duplicates I had posted awhile back in that thread were of GN sleepers in storage with very similarly-worded stenciling added, specifically slides #23, #36, and #40 in that thread of GN sleepers #1164 Logan Pass, #1166 Lincoln Pass, and #1168 Red Gap Pass.

Based on the fact that both of the MILW sleepers seen here were withheld from lease in July 1965, and were not formally retired until 1969, then these slides were taken during that 1965-1969 timeframe.

Furthermore, there are at least 2 other cars stored with these 2 sleepers, 1 on either side. The car to the right of the Chippewa River appears to be a Lake-series 10RM-6DB sleeper, and 5 (#2-#4, #6, and #8) of the Milwaukee Road's 10 said sleepers that were also built in Lot #6775 had also been withheld from lease in July 1965, and were sold to CN in July 1967 as #2142-#2146.

That being the case, this could probably further narrow down the date range of these 2 slides to between July 1965 and July 1967, but not for certain. A sixth MILW 10RM-6DB sleeper, the #10 Lake Kapowsin, had been withheld from lease earlier, in October 1964, but the other 4 of these sleepers were withheld in either September 1966 or February 1967 (2 in each month).

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4336491

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4405728

Have a Merry Fourth Day of Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:58 pm 

Another Slide:

This is another duplicate slide (brand unknown) of MILW sleeper #25 Chippewa River, which was taken by an unknown photographer in Chicago in October 1967. Note that the side of the car seen in this slide is the opposite from the side seen in the slide in the above post, and that in this slide there is no car to the left of the Chippewa River (to the right in the above slide), so this could potentially limit the dates of the 2 slides I posted above to between July 1965 and October 1967, but again, this isn't for certain.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4336492

Have a Merry Sixth Day of Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:37 am 

Do you mean that the "Milwaukee Road sleepers #29 Wisconsin Dells and #25 Chippewa River" were built for and owned by The Milwaukee Road, and leased to the Pullman Co. for their use, including on other roads when business was slow on The Milwaukee Road? If so, that could mean that if the cars turned up in some strange place without the "Not to be [illegible] in revenue service" stencil, they could be used in revenue service by whoever caught them, subject to rules and required payments in agreements between Pullman and the railroads. Orange Empire Railway Museum had that happen to a baggage car they bought and had shipped on its own wheels.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 am 

JimBoylan wrote:
Do you mean that the "Milwaukee Road sleepers #29 Wisconsin Dells and #25 Chippewa River" were built for and owned by The Milwaukee Road, and leased to the Pullman Co. for their use, including on other roads when business was slow on The Milwaukee Road? If so, that could mean that if the cars turned up in some strange place without the "Not to be [illegible] in revenue service" stencil, they could be used in revenue service by whoever caught them, subject to rules and required payments in agreements between Pullman and the railroads. Orange Empire Railway Museum had that happen to a baggage car they bought and had shipped on its own wheels.

Jim,

My apologies for the considerable delay in my response, but from my understanding, there were 2 different common scenarios:

1) Sleepers could and would show up away from their usual assignment (i.e., on trains of the road who owned the cars) based on agreements between the roads involved and the operating side of Pullman. For example, there were UP, C&NW, and NP sleepers that were painted for and saw use on IC's Panama Limited. In regards to the NP/IC arrangement, the opposite was also true, as IC sleepers were painted for and saw use on the North Coast Limited.

2) Cars could also show up on different routes as traffic demanded, and as far I can tell, this was somewhat more random, based on whatever cars happened to be available at the time. For example, PRR sleepers turning up in places like Colorado and Texas.

As far as the "not to be [illegible] in revenue service" stencils are concerned, these were applied to cars after they had been withheld from Pullman lease by their respective owners and placed into storage awaiting further disposition; scrapping, modification for use by the maintenance-of-way departments, resold to brokers for resale to Mexico, resold to private owners or historical societies, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:27 am 

Earlier this year I acquired a 50 slide set of Blackhawk Films duplicate slides, specifically Blackhawk set #947, consisting of various NP, GN, CB&Q, and early BN passenger train subjects (but no SP&S!) Unlike a number of Blackhawk slides, these are not marked for either the Fred Byerly Collection, or for any other photographer/collection. So, at this time it remains a mystery as to who took all these slides, many of which were extremely faded/washed out, and I therefore needed to make quite an effort in Photoshop to bring back any color.

I'll mention here that likely photographers for the slides taken in the Twin Cities are Tom Smart and Stuart J. Sutton (Sutton also applies for slides taken in Denver).

Here are the first four slides:

Photo #1: an A-B-B-A set of GN passenger F Units, led by F3A #356A (and the 2nd A unit was F7A #363A), are the power for the eastbound Empire Builder departing the GN station in Minneapolis, at about 6:35 in the morning on Saturday, July 15th, 1967. See: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4201724

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4649583

Photo #2: a pair of GN E Units, led by E7A #512, are the power for an unknown passenger train in St. Paul. This could be the Winnipeg Limited, based on the power, the 2 heavyweight baggage-express cars in postal storage service (therefore locked) ahead of the lightweight baggage-RPO, and the ex-Frisco chair (or rebuilt chair-dinette) behind the lightweight baggage-express. The exact location in St. Paul and the date are unknown.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4649584

Photo #3: GN streamlined heavyweight buffet parlor observation #1083 Twin Cities. Built by Pullman in August 1924 in Lot #4801 as the Plan #3416 28 seat parlor-1 drawing room (1DR) Cordelia for service on the B&O. Sold to GN in May 1938 as parlor #1083, to coach #1083 in June 1942, to parlor #1083 in 1945, rebuilt to a streamlined appearance in April 1952 as a buffet parlor observation for assignment to the Gopher-Badger, and named Twin Cities. After the BN merger, renumbered as #968084, renumbered again/rebuilt in 1973 or 1974 to track geometry car #B9, to BNSF #80 (1st), later stored at an unknown date at the ex-AT&SF Topeka Shops, current status/disposition unknown. "Surviving Pullman" thread line item #95. The location and date are unknown.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4649585

Photo #4: GN E7A #512 and an F Unit are the power for an unknown eastbound passenger train in St. Paul, which is coming down the hill towards St. Paul Union Depot (SPUD). This could also be the Winnipeg Limited, with again 2 heavyweight baggage-express cars in postal storage service ahead of the 2 lightweight baggage-RPO's, followed by a lightweight baggage-express and the chairs; note that the 2nd chair is a former C&NW 56 seat chair-8 seat smoker still in the colors of its previous owner, and the 1st chair appears to be one of the prewar "deluxe chairs" that were originally assigned to the Empire Builder. I have another slide of this train, and at first I thought they were the same slide, before I noticed that in the slide that I'm posting here, the train is about half a car length ahead of where it is in the other slide, which I'm including a link to: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4508995. I have yet another slide taken at this same location on the same day, of the eastbound Empire Builder, and I'm including a link to that slide as well: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4287010. While the exact date is unknown, these 3 slides were taken sometime between when the C&NW cars began arriving on the property in 1963 and February 1966, when F7A #350A, which is leading the Empire Builder in the other slide, was traded in to EMD. And seeing as how the ex-C&NW chair hasn't been repainted, it's probably from 1963-1964. When I posted the Empire Builder slide to Trainorders, someone theorized that it was taken by Tom Smart: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3857128

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4649586

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 am 

I was looking at satellite imagery of St. Paul in Google Earth, and I realized that photo #2 was taken at the wye just compass east of St. Paul Union Depot (SPUD), and that's the 3rd Street Bridge (GN milepost 0) in the background. That being the case, this means that the passenger train is on the eastern leg of the wye and is facing away from SPUD. So I presume that a backup move towards the station will be done, using the south leg of the wye?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:15 am 

Photo #4 and the other 2 slides I mentioned that were taken on the same morning were taken from the Lafayette Rd. Bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:55 pm 

I think the GN Twin Cities slide is in Duluth.

-Hudson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next