It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fall restraint/protection
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 pm 

For additional clarification. FRA/OSHA Policy regarding Exercise of Regulatory Authority was published in the Federal Register in 1978. This document provides a clearer understanding of OSHA vs FRA jurisdiction regarding employee occupational and health standards on railroads. This document is a basic starting point regarding any jurisdictional decisions.

https://osha.oregon.gov/collaborations/Documents/F-1.pdf

Mike Ramsey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:19 am 

This may be a little off topic, but I noticed some pretty stout columns and horizontal beams (like an upside down L) next to the covered hopper unloading track at a pasta plant. I drove closer and they had cables strung between the columns that looked like it was tie off system for people that were walking on top of the cars.
On a side note, I was taught that the tie off point had to withstand a 5000 lb. load. Another rule was that we couldn't tie off on a man lift and then get out of it and walk on top of something else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:09 pm 

oh interesting. I've actually seen that before but didn't know what I was looking at. From where I stood it looked like overhead electric but I knew that wasn't the case.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 am 

What's really confusing is when you see that construction on a branch of the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley "Laurel Line" that had used overhead wire at Davis St. & Cemetery Ave. near Scranton, Pa. The main line had used 3rd rail.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm 

The L&WV used third rail on its Main Line and Dunmore Branch. When it built the Minooka Branch in 1946 it used overhead wire on the branch.

Today the Electric City Trolley operation uses overhead wire on the former L&WV Main Line and the Minooka Branch is not electrified. The site mentioned near Davis St. and Cemetery Ave. in Minooka features a freight customer that unloads covered hoppers.

Phil Mulligan