It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mid-Continent Sends Woodward Iron #41 to Ohio
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:47 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Is she that heavy, or are the load ratings on the roads just really low?

SOP in the east. I understand that in the west the rules for oversize loads are way more liberal. Here's a shot of 70 ton Pacific Lumber #37 loaded and ready to leave the Wilmington & Western.

Charlie wrote:
Major kudos to the truck driver and all involved for maneuvering that rig around those narrow streets and backing it into position at the museum.

Getting #37 out required traveling up a single lane driveway, through a gate directly to a 120 degree left turn onto a street. That turn took over an hour of backing and filling to negotiate. This is my favorite shot of that process after one backing move resulted in the rear end sliding sidewise rather than backing.

J3a-614 wrote:
Glad to see she's going to a good home!

For comparison, I understand this is a standard or stock Baldwin locomotive that was inspired by the famous "Russian" Decapods, and is a near twin to Strasburg 90 and several others of the type that are still around, including some that ran on the Gainesville Midland.

There were twenty two stock Baldwin decapods built between 1924 and 1933. #90 was the third. #41 was the ninth, built in 1928 for the Alabama, Tennessee, and Northern as their #401. Five of these locomotives survive. The other three are listed in a 1968 article as being Gainesville Midland engines preserved in Georgia.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:18 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:

J3a-614 wrote:
Glad to see she's going to a good home!

For comparison, I understand this is a standard or stock Baldwin locomotive that was inspired by the famous "Russian" Decapods, and is a near twin to Strasburg 90 and several others of the type that are still around, including some that ran on the Gainesville Midland.

There were twenty two stock Baldwin decapods built between 1924 and 1933. #90 was the third. #41 was the ninth, built in 1928 for the Alabama, Tennessee, and Northern as their #401. Five of these locomotives survive. The other three are listed in a 1968 article as being Gainesville Midland engines preserved in Georgia.

Kelly -

Thanks for the information. In addition to these twenty-two, Baldwin also designed a heavier Decapod as a "stock" offering. I believe 11 of these went to the Gulf, Mobile & Northern (later GM&O). Not sure if they sold any to other railroads. In any case, none of these heavier stock Baldwin 2-10-0's survive.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:06 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Thanks for the information. In addition to these twenty-two, Baldwin also designed a heavier Decapod as a "stock" offering. I believe 11 of these went to the Gulf, Mobile & Northern (later GM&O). Not sure if they sold any to other railroads. In any case, none of these heavier stock Baldwin 2-10-0's survive.

You're right, I should have added the prefix "light" to "Decapod". Thought of it, but the oversight slid through proofreading. Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

You're right, I should have added the prefix "light" to "Decapod". Thought of it, but the oversight slid through proofreading. Thanks,

I wondered what one of those heavier Decapods looked like, and a photo of one just turned up.

It looks like it would be an interesting locomotive, even without the Coffin feedwater heater that we normally associated with the Boston & Maine.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D40419D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 pm 

J3a-614:

Thanks for the photo of GM&O #263. The twin sand domes are interesting. I wonder if this was the way they were built by Baldwin, or did the railroad add a second dome? A builders photo would probably tell us.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:58 am 

Thank you for the kind words, Les, you got me curious about additional photos of the GM&N, later GM&O Decapods, and I started looking for more pix.

Look where some turned up!

viewtopic.php?f=1&p=227658

A builder's photo at the other thread shows an engine with only one sand dome, so it looks like the second dome was an add on, but what stands out is how it's identical to the first. It makes me wonder if either the shops were very good at metal work, or if they ordered some spares from Baldwin.

The number of these engines built may be in question from the comments as well. I wonder if anyone can square that up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm 

J3a-614:

Quite a different look without the Coffin Feedwater heater! Either way, wish one had made it to preservation! Thanks for checking on the second sand dome. The two domes really look similar!

Les

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 pm 

Thank you again, Les, and it's interesting what you find when you go back and look at photos again.

In this case, it's finding changes that occurred during shoppings. Besides the second sand dome on 256, it also has one single phase air compressor forward, roughly above the first driver, and a cross compound compressor further back, right above the space between the third and fourth drivers. As built, this engine had single phase compressors, both forward in a location that seems to have been more common on the locomotives of anthracite roads like the Reading or the Lackawanna. The first air compressor in the builder's photo of GM&N 251 is in the same location as the forward compressor on the 256.

The use of twin sand domes of identical or nearly nearly identical appearance is also very reminiscent of Santa Fe practice on its 2-8-2s, 2-10-2s, and 4-8-2s (and early 4-8-4s prior to the rebuilding they got).

And people wonder why we find steam so fascinating!! (Admittedly, such questioning can be well founded!!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 pm 

That's the problem with the Dismals. Steam locos wear their differences as marks of pride. Diesels hide almost all the interesting differences behind the cowling like embarrassed women!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm 

Here is a thought; the Mid-Continent Railway Museum has re-built their bridge to connect with the Wisconsin Central last year. They took delivery of a Diesel over it last winter. I wonder why they still had to move the locomotive by truck?

Ted Miles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 pm 

Ted,
I'm assuming (danger!, Will Robinson) you're asking about the move of the #41. That sale and move was made in 2015 long before the bridge was repaired. mld

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:18 pm 

Ted,

As a point of detail, it is the Wisconsin and Southern railroad that connects with Mid Continent.

Ed