It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunsmoke episode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 1999 2:19 am 

Recently,I saw a two-part episode of "Gunsmoke".The title of this episode was "Snow train" and it took place in the mountains.I do not recognize the equipment used in this show,as it was obviously was shot on location.Can anyone give me an idea of the consist,and where it is today? The locomotive was either a Walchaerts-equipped 2-6-0 or a 4-6-0,with a wooden combine and a wooden coach.I'm leaning toward the locomotive as being WP#94.Can anybody help me with this mystery?<br>

kbcotton@flash.net

Post subject: Re: Gunsmoke episode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 1999 9:27 am 

I recall that the few episodes that Gunsmoke shot with rail equiptment on location was filmed at the Black Hills Central R.R. in Hill City South Dakota, using their No.& 1919 2-6-2 former Prescott & Southwestern. The locomotive has Walschaerts Valve Gear and the appropriate wooden coaches to go along with what you saw. I vaguely remember the episode you mentioned as I saw it when I was a kid.<br>

btflco@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Gunsmoke episode
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 1999 12:28 am 

"Gunsmoke" also featured veteran movie and TV actress Sierra RR #3 in episodes along with a consist of Combine #5 and Coaches #6 and #2, and was filmed on the Sierra in California. It was a three-part episode called "The Bullet" involving an army gold shipment and Matt Dillon shot with a bullet in his back bt train robbers. Incongruousely, the train's equipment was lettered "Burlington Northern!<br>For further info on rail equiopment used in the TV and film productions of "Wild Wild West" take a look at the link above.

All Aboard The Wanderer!
JMFouchard@aol.com