It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Al Chione Slides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 am 

As an aside to the original topic of Al Chione slides, Charlie Houser, another famous photographer who sold his slides, had his collection sold off yesterday. Houser was once upon a time a motorman for Lehigh Valley Transit, but he photographed heavy rail, including passenger trains and equipment, throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. The auction sold the lots mostly in lots by railroads, with some lots labeled as "passenger trains", "freight cars", etc. Perhaps we will see some of these images appear online in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 am 

Another photographer who should be mentioned is Dick Kuelbs, who for a long time was prolific in Dallas-Ft. Worth, but who also ventured to other locations such as New Orleans, and from what I can gather Kansas City and St. Louis as well, although surprisingly (so far) I haven't come across any slides accredited to him taken in any other Texas locales such as Houston, San Antonio, Galveston, etc. Mr. Kuelbs photographed anything and everything. Steam, diesel, cabooses, yard scenes, freight cars, lightweights, and during the 60's the then-ever-shrinking remaining fleet of heavyweight Pullmans. Some of you will recall that a number of his slides of that last subject made up the contents of the final Railway Prototype Cyclopedia volume, #33, although from having a number of duplicates of said slides (both Al Chione-made and those that I think he made himself), I can say only a sampling of those were included in RPC Vol. 33. My curiosity is, with him passing not all that long ago, who or where his vast collection of slides were donated to, and if there are plans to make them available digitally.

Last edited by Rainier Rails on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 am 

Date identified (should've been obvious, as the same cloud can be seen in all 4 slides).

From the previous page, the date had been ID'ed for 1 of these 4 as:

Rainier Rails wrote:

Additions & Corrections:

Date identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #69: CB&Q 52 seat chair #4712 Silver Crown (Budd, 1940, general pool/Sam Houston Zephyr) at Denver

Taken in November 1964.

So that means...

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #4: GN 48 seat leg rest chair #1121 (P-S, 1947, 1947 Empire Builder/1951 Western Star)
Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #4 of 48 seat chair #1121 was taken in Denver; the old 20th Street viaduct is in the background.
Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #94: CB&Q 52 seat chair #4702 Silver Spring (later BN MofW #968108, Budd, 1938, general pool/Kansas City Zephyr) at Denver
Don C. wrote:
Photo 94: Silver Spring was built for the general service pool, not the Kansas City Zephyr.
Rainier Rails wrote:
Looking again at the Burlington Route HS roster page (http://www.burlingtonroute.com/docs/rosters/stainlessnumber.html)), where I sourced the car assignments from, for the Silver Spring, it is listed as built for the General Pool and transferred to the KCZ in 1953.
Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #136: CB&Q 52 seat chair #4710 Silver Cloud (Budd, 1940, general pool) at Denver

Slides #4, #94, and #136 were also taken in November 1964.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:55 am 

Specific Date Identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Additions & Corrections:

Locations and dates identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Pullman Plan #3410A 12S-1DR sleeper Pelham (Lot #6023, 1926), transferred to MofW department in 1964 as #906032, retired in 1974 and sold to Skagit Station Restaurant in Sedro-Woolley, WA, renamed Cascade Pass, later resold to Track 29 complex in Yakima, WA, scrapped in September 2013. "Surviving Pullman" thread line item #83.

Taken in Denver in June 1963.

Taken in Denver, on Monday, June 10th, 1963, along with slides of at least 3 other UP Pullman heavyweight sleepers, the Yale University, Columbia Gorge, and Bannock. The mount of the last slide revealed the date.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 pm 

Now if only someone could tell me what happened to the collection of C.E.Prusia (Tex), an excellent photographer from the 30s-50s in the St Louis area. Slides, movies and b&w negs.
He was swindled out of it by a guy from Colorado back in the late 60s and has never been seen since. Several of his shots appeared in Frisco Power and MoPaC power by Joe Collias.
Its a shame that there are low lifes out there in the world. The guy who did it was well known in his own right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:17 pm 

I noted above the mention that Charlie Houser sold his slide collection, that he inherited from his father Charles Houser, who was an LVT motorman. Does anyone have additional information about this sale? I have not talked with Charlie in years, but bought many items from him over the years since he first got into the business after his father passed away. I also sold him some things from my collection after my father passed away. So i am just curios where it all went.

Thanks for any information.

Joel Salomon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Re: the Charlie Houser auction:

Auctioneer was Maurer Auctions (formerly Ted, not daughter Kathy):

http://www.maurerail.com/

I tried to tip off "the usual suspects" in my circle, as just one excerpt of my e-mail said:
"500 WM negs, 130 B&O negs, Baltimore streetcar stuff in an album, etc. Lot 2: 3 WMRR Albums Of 1918 Photos Including The Dutch Line.........."

Maurer used to update the aftermath with the "Prices Realized" page, but they stopped doing that about a year or more ago.

Good luck hunting it down. My bet is some eBay seller is going to be listing them soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 am 

Date Identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
More Photos:

Photo #25: GN 12S-1DR sleeper #1018 Heart Research, leased to the University of Minnesota, note that the interior has been modified with 3 of the section windows blanked out (ex-Premier Rose, nee-PULL Red Granite, Lot #4894, Plan #3410A, 1925)

Taken in June 1968. The following linked photo (from the Gary Overfield Collection) of Milwaukee Road business car Snoqualmie has that listed as the date, and it was clearly taken at the same (unknown) location and on the same day as photo #25.

http://rr-fallenflags.org/milw/milw-snoqu-goa.jpg

Have a Merry Ninth Day of Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:37 pm 

Date and location identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #156: 6S-6RM-4DB sleeper Mescalero Valley (P-S, 1942)

Taken in Colorado in 1966.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 am 

Location and Date Identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #153: 51 seat club lounge-news stand-nurse's room #1348 (P-S, 1947, El Capitan, later reassigned to Grand Canyon Limited and California Special). Retained in 1971, renumbered in 1974 to #62, to BNSF #29 Valley View (#800635).

I had determined the location quite a while ago, but looking through this thread, I never posted as such. Taken in Denver in 1963.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:27 am 

Location and Date Identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #45: GN 6RM-5DB-2C sleeper #1372 Akamina Pass (P-S, 1950, Mid-Century Empire Builder). The presence of SP&S parlor diner #405 on the right tells me this might be Portland, just north of Union Station.

Previously I had thought this was taken in either Portland or Spokane, but another copy is currently for sale and it lists that it was taken in Seattle in 1965.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 am 

Date Identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #212: Class PS21A Plan #9010 21RM sleeper #8294 Wilkinsburg Inn (AC&F, 1948), scrapped in 1966. Location unknown.
Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #212 of Class PS21A 21RM sleeper #8294 Wilkinsburg Inn was taken in Denver. The tan-colored, windowless building seen behind the car is the western facade of the US Post Office building that was located in the block south of Union Station.

Taken in 1963.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:05 am 

Date and location identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #57: GN 6RM-5DB-2C sleeper #1370 Rogers Pass (P-S, 1950, Mid-Century Empire Builder)

Taken in Denver in 1969. I had ID'ed the location some time ago (but like AT&SF #1348 above, I had never posted as such), but just now ID'ed the date.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:55 am 

Location & Date Identified:

Rainier Rails wrote:
Photo #144: 4DR-1DB sleeper-16 seat lounge blunt end observation Vista Cavern (AC&F, 1947, rebuilt from round end to blunt end in 1956). Retired and sold in 1968 to David Wallace, later to Les Kasten, then to Coe Rail-Michigan Star Clipper Dinner Train, car stored at Wixom, MI, and scrapped in January 2013.

Taken in Raton in 1964.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:06 am 

Date Identified:

Quote:
Photo #109: Texas Zephyr C&S 12S sleeper #653 Silver Skates (ex-CB&Q #413, Budd, 1936) at Denver. As noted with photo #72, the Silver Skates was articulated to Silver Screen.

Taken in Denver in 1963.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next