It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Report from the Stewartstown Railroad Car Shop-December 2014
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:53 pm 

Although I am on sort of a hiatus from coachwork for November and December (due to being at work more often), we still have gotten a good bit accomplished on coach 1341 since my last update. We have received a fair amount of new window glazing, which is in the process of being installed in the new sashes. We have five sashes ready for install, but have been holding off, so we can repair the window channels properly beforehand (rotted wood here). The old window jambs, and window sills have been removed, and we have cleaned up and painted the steel in preparation for new jambs and sills, which were manufactured by a local cabinetmaker. These parts have been painted and are awaiting us to repair the channels. A good bit of the upper letterboard has been repaired on both sides of the coach, either with Bondo, or duct tape (not like the coach wasn't repaired like that before my time). At this point we are attempting to get the coach sealed up, to minimize any further water infiltration. Along these lines, we have also coated the roof, and sealed around the sides of the roof vents as well. I still have people inside the coach, working on cleaning and lubricating the seat hardware, once this is done, and we are sure the coach is sealed up from the rain, we will begin re-installing the seats. But that probably won't happen before we repair the ceiling, which is in the plans for late winter/early spring. Hopefully within the next few months, the Track Crew can finish moving their tools out of the freight room, and free up space so our worktable can go in there, and we can work out of the weather. The biggest obstacle yet, other than manpower and funding, is a hole in the concrete floor. I think once that hole is repaired, the worst of the work is past us. Check in after I'd say February or March of 2015 for more updates. SLOWLY, we are getting former Reading Company coach 1341 back in service!