It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 060F scrapped
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:54 pm 

The PP&L 060F at Lewisburg has been scrapped recently.
Does anyone know why?

Post subject: Re: 060F scrapped
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:16 pm 

Can you elaborate, for those of us with no idea what you're talking about?

CD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 pm 

Some googling showed an ex PPL 0-6-0 Fireless, at Lewisburg PA.
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/0-6-0/?page=ppl#photos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:26 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Dammit.

Any confirmation--photos, etc.?

More on this loco page 1 of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34991

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:40 pm 

It has been cut up, boiler is or was visible at Staimen Bros. scrap yard in Williamsport Pa. [from rt 180]. Some parts went to the 113 engine. Engine had to be moved in a certain amount of time or be cut up.
I had no idea about this or I would have tried to do something.
Sorry if my posts aren't to clear on things

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 pm 

Is the deceased #1 or #2? According to comments on steamlocomotive.info #1 was owned by the Conrail Tech Society and is last listed as being in Mifflinburg. #2 was he late Dave Shirey's engine, which is listed as being in Lewisburg as of 2011.

I still kick myself for not going to visit them in 1987/88 when I was invited on a tour.

Oh well.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:29 pm 

The link Tavor posted above shows "no 1" on the cab, that picture looks to be taken with the engine sitting on the track that went across rt 15 at the country cupboard restaurant to the prison. That is the engine I am speaking of.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:42 pm 

Hmmm. Steamlocomotive.info shows the Country Cupboard loco as being #2, the Shirey engine, complete with a message from Dave before his passing. Is this the same one that went to Hamburg?

But I have a feeling the poster claiming this is #2 is confused.

Sandy, any clarification?
http://steamlocomotive.info/shownotes.cfm?Loco=1083

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:47 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
robertjohndavis wrote:
Hmmm. Steamlocomotive.info shows the Country Cupboard loco as being #2, the Shirey engine, complete with a message from Dave before his passing. Is this the same one that went to Hamburg?

But I have a feeling the poster claiming this is #2 is confused.

Sandy, any clarification?
http://steamlocomotive.info/shownotes.cfm?Loco=1083

The listing for Porter 8190/PP&L 2 is in rather apparent error; the photo shows it at its actual location, in the "junk line"/"dead line"/storage track at South Hamburg, Pa at the north end of the Blue Mountain & Reading trackage there. The Rt. 61 overpass is visible in the background of the listing's photo, and if you know what you're looking for it's visible in Google Satellite View and Bing Bird's Eye View directly northeast of the South Hamburg water tower, behind the car wash, Dollar General, and substation along 3rd Street.

TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION (and I'd have to go back and triple-check slides and photos), the late Shirey bought 8190, PP&L 2, upon its retirement at the Sunbury (actually Shamokin Dam) Steam Electric Station in early 1989. PP&L 1, Porter 8189, was the one they kept at the plant for a few years, then "donated"/"sold"/whatever about 20 years ago (upon PP&L sale of the plant) to a local individual allegedly misusing the name of the Conrail Historical/Technical Society in the transaction. The loco initially got to Mifflinburg on the West Shore, then to Delta Place, then shoved into a weeded siding when it got to be too much of an eyesore.

Furthering the confusion is that 1) the number and builder's plates, which were on the locos until they left the plant, were removed (either for safekeeping or theft), and 2) someone over at Hamburg or wherever spray-painted "7767" in large numbers on the side of the cab of that loco; I've never been able to figure out what that was supposed to be or mean.

The other guy who might know something is Brother Laepple, who may have been with the North Shore/Shamokin Valley at the time that the Hamburg loco was discretely shoved over the mountain from Sunbury to the Reading, Blue Mountain & Northern (as it was then) interchange at Mt. Carmel Junction. The other folks I know who would be able to confirm anything are either dead, have no internet presence to speak of, or have good reason to hide or disavow any knowledge of this, especially after this latest fiasco has come to light.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go crucif--erm, "interrogate--a few people who were too chicken of "Vitamin A" to do the "right thing" with this damn loco.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 am 

Am I right in assuming that PRR N-5 478886 is gone too?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 am 

Its truly a shame to hear what happened to this locomotive, a quick photo search on the inter-web turned up the following picture: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=519489

I know that there is another fireless PP&L locomotive up in Strasbourg, but what ever happened to her sister locomotive, 0-6-0F #1?

//Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 am 

tavor, is that a caboose number? I heard there are a caboose & a flat car in danger too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 am 

CO 2666 wrote:
Its truly a shame to hear what happened to this locomotive, a quick photo search on the inter-web turned up the following picture: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=519489

I know that there is another fireless PP&L locomotive up in Strasbourg, but what ever happened to her sister locomotive, 0-6-0F #1?

Okay, let's back up and clarify:

The one in the photo linked above is the one last/still at Hamburg.
I have been able to confirm, via detailed examination of photos I took of the steamers operating at PP&L in May 1987 and later along with this and other photos of the "7767" at Hamburg to conclude, once and for all, that the Hamburg loco is PP&L 2/Porter 8190 and the one that remained in the Susquehanna Valley area was PP&L 1/Porter 8189. Details include the Amish-style "hex sign" applied to the front of #1, rust patches on the front and right sides of both locos, and various dings.

Further complicating matters slightly is that PP&L had, for some time, a third steamer on the property, Porter 0-6-0F "C", c/n 7993 of 1946, reportedly brought over from the Pine Grove, Pa. plant when it was closed or the loco replaced. Conrad's tome has this listed as #3 and scrapped "ca. 1970," but I recall it sitting on a spur at the back side of the plant along the river until the mid-1970s when it was scrapped; it stood out as being black instead of yellow.

The giant fireless at the RR Museum of Pa. is a Heisler 0-8-0F, c/n 47 built originally for Hamerhill Paper at Erie, then resold by the builder in 1941 to PP&L for use at their for-then-massive Hauto, Pa. plant (west of Jim Thorpe on the CNJ) as their 4094, later "renumbered" "D". It was donated to the then-abuilding museum by PP&L in December 1969. No relation whatsoever to the Sunbury Station locos. http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1102

FURTHER muddying the waters is the fact that ANOTHER Porter 0-6-0F from Hauto, 7442 of August 1943 and numbered PP&L 4093 and apparently later "F", was at Jim Thorpe, Pa. in Hart's stuff, but had been donated in 1970 to the Carbon County Tourist Promotion Agency and was never Hart's. This loco was relocated to Tamaqua, Pa.'s station for display in 2005, and at last report is restored somewhat garishly. http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1022
2009 photo: http://berwickrailfan.webs.com/locomotives/TQRR0003.gif

Steamtown at Scranton still has a former Burlington, NJ Porter fireless 0-6-0F c/n 6816, and the Lake Shore guys at North East, Pa. has Heisler 39, 0-6-0F from Cleveland Illuminating as #6, "operable" on compressed air.

Below is an undated photo, courtesy of the Snyder County Historical Society, of Sunbury Station 2 with a worker showing off radio remote control equipment used experimentally in the late 1950s on both steamers and the later (1973) Alco diesel to attempt (unsuccessfully, I may add) one-man operation of loco and rotary dumper. Note the "firecracker" antenna in front of the top of the cab, and the two boxes with control equipment on the running board.
Attachment:
PP&L-2MOD.jpg
PP&L-2MOD.jpg [ 102.72 KiB | Viewed 13860 times ]

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:58 am 

As for the supposed flat car and caboose "in danger"--cite, please? The PRR number above does match one of a couple of cabooses that were floating around up there, specifically a steel N5, but as far as I know the cabooses are privately owned and/or are for sale.

Photo of 478886, PP&L 1, and three other cabeese (PRR 477871, Reading #?, and Erie C338) in December 2008: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1424134

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:21 am 

I hate to say I'm glad it's gone, but it's a prime example of what not to do in preservation and a very good example of how to piss off a donor who has donated things to quite a few groups (PP&L, that is). Yes, the locomotive in question was PP&L #1. The Conrail Historical Society (not to be confused with the defunct CR Tech Society) never owned it, but our name was given to PP&L by an individual to acquire it. At the time, our group was in a dormant status, so there was no way we could have even approached anyone. This same individual almost (luckily only almost) got Conrail to donate the old passenger station at Topton, PA to 'CRHS' according to some paperwork found in our archives. Let this locomotives demise be a lesson to all to make sure no one uses your organisation's name without authorisation.