It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday Trains that keep with the Mission of the Museum.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 pm 

Wouldn't it be neat to create a railroad museum experience based upon how the railroads have affected towns during the Holidays? Bringing families back together, delivering products to retailers and fresh food to grocers, etc.

Bring in traditional decorations, period specific live music, period actors in costume, period foods, etc.

In my mind, create a Holiday Experience that teaches history through living displays (And yes, Santa can of course make an appearance.) Create an experience that children, railfans, and adults can all enjoy and appreciate together, rather than have an overly commercial / kid focused event.

I'm not totally against the Polar Express type of events, I used to work them at my local railroad museum and always had fun. Obviously there are railroads like Durango and Grand Canyon that are running as for-profit and having the licensed event is a sure fire way to bring in lots of $$$ and that's great. I just think there is an opportunity for more of an all-ages type of Holiday Event.

I think Strasburg and Age of Steam both operate Christmas Tree trains that are a bit more of the vibe I'm thinking of. Anyone else? Or is it all jingle bells and cookies?

Post subject: Re: Holiday Trains that keep with the Mission of the Museum.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

That is (more or less) what we strive for at the WW&F's Victorian Christmas. We only open for one day for free train rides, horse-drawn sleigh rides, a bonfire, cookies, crafts, and Claus. It started as a "thank you" to the community - this year all tickets were reserved in one day.

Last edited by elecuyer on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:11 pm 

That sounds great! What you guys have accomplished in such a short time is so remarkable.
I've got to get up there sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:24 pm 

We attempt to offer a more unique/traditional ride in Denmark. Our Christmas trains run for 4 weekends in a row and consist of about an hour long trip on the mainline, dropping the guests off for an hour-two at a town with a big Christmas market or further out in the northern forest at a tree farm that also hosts a market. The latter option is definitely the more traditional and unique experience.

This year we've increased the variety, by now offering trains coming from the outskirts and into the Christmas markets in Copenhagen, as well as the other way around. Also, we've worked out an agreement in collaboration with the Danish Railway museum for the first time to use some of their rolling stock and crew to run double the amount of trips to two different destinations on the final weekend.

And yes we do have Santa walk up and down the train, but he isn't the "main" focus, as its mostly the destination and the cozy atmosphere in our wooden coaches. No commercialized version of Santa here! Hot drinks and traditional foods are served in our buffet carriage, and a greater variety await at the markets when we arrive.

Ive honestly found on days when I'm not firing, nothing beats tagging along and standing on the open platforms with a cup of mulled wine in my hands as I listen to the locomotive work!

Veterantoget.dk