It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NC Transportation Museum Hiring Collections/Site Manager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:07 am 

https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/2783882-0/collections-manager?keyword=museum&location=&pagetype=searchPage

Post subject: Re: NC Transportation Museum Hiring Collections/Site Manager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:40 pm 

Is there anyone currently there that would be ideal for this job? Seems like the type of job that would be ideal for someone to be promoted to that is already knowledgeable about the museum.

Seems like the qualifications are written to exclude anyone not already in the government job system.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:56 pm 

They seem to want much for little given the salary range mentioned. I can't afford to apply much as I'd love to get back into the industry in my area again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:29 am 

Dave wrote:
They seem to want much for little given the salary range mentioned. I can't afford to apply much as I'd love to get back into the industry in my area again.

Museum industry positions in the public sector often pay better than private non profits.

My museum peers, myself included, can only afford to stay in the industry because we have spouses who are the household breadwinners. I am making the same today as a museum collections manager as when I was working for an industrial manufacturer...in 1990. A requirement for my current position was a museum studies degree which I obtained on top of my previous MBA.

Those seeking a financial reward should not pursue a museum position.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:46 pm 

Boy, that's the truth. For years I was the "Cultural Facilities Curator" for the city of Oroville. Frequently there would be "salary comparisons" but my job was unique enough they never could find "comparisons"--if they looked at curator salaries in other museums, my salary never even made the bottom of the "bell curve." However, I was making more money than I had as a self-employed vehicle restorer (cars and locomotives) and there was medical and retirement, so I was OK with it. I think at the end of it I was making $22 an hour, but putting in 50 hour weeks for 40 hours pay. I also managed the State Theatre Performing Arts Center, so worked late often and many weekends. My supervisor noted that I had "poor attendance" in my reviews because I wasn't in city hall at 8 am often--that was because I was working at midnight the day before and they didn't want to pay anyone for overtime. The logic of that was lost on the City Manager who didn't want to question his director's performance review (the logic of THAT was lost on me). Although they had 5 museums (still do, but all closed because of the Virus) and some 40 docents, they decided that a Curator was not needed, so I was forced into early retirement (try getting a new job at age 50) which was economically a disaster, but much better for my health (got off blood pressure medications and other meds).
So, no, do NOT go into the museum field if you think you're going to make a living wage--because that only happens for a very small group of museum professionals.