It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Susquehanna 142
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 1998 5:53 am 

I had the pleasure of riding behind this Chinese-built 2-8-2 twice in the early 90s when it was still at the Valley Railroad in Connecticut. It's a fine engine, remarkably similar in style and proportions to American practice of the 1920s.<p>I've always been curious as to why Valley decided to put the engine up for sale, after the tremendous work Valley RR CMO Dave Conrad put into having the engine built and its boiler approved for operation in the U.S. I remember reading somewhere that Mr. Conrad was nonplussed with the decision, and understandably so! Can anyone enlighten me as to the logic? <br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Susquehanna 142
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 1998 10:23 pm 

This loco was put up for sale by VRR after a management change. Cost reduction was cited as the reason, as the Chinese loco was costing over $6K per month, every month, from the time it was lodaed on the boat. And, NYSW had just lost the one they ordered, and still wanted one, and had the cash.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 1998 4:43 pm 

I asked about this on a recent visit to the Valley Railroad. The story I got was that it was a matter of timing. At about the same time that the Susquehanna lost their own engine and offered to buy theirs, the Valley R.R. had just completed a major overhaul on no. 40 (Aberdeen & Rockfish 2-8-2), and could afford to part with 142.<p>I'm sure the operating costs were probably a factor as well. It's also possible that, all other things being equal, she may not have been "American enough" to really fit in on the Valley Railroad. Sure they look like they could have been a 1920's ALCO product, but there's no mistaking the cab and tender on those SY's. <br>

rjenkins@railfan.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 1998 8:57 pm 

That's known as "revisionist history". VRR sold 1647 (142) before 40 was completed. 40 was undergoing a long-term overhaul, started in 1987. After 1647 (142) was sold, VRR had only 97 until 40 was finished.<br>

Post subject: Re: Susquehanna 142 - Photo anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 1999 3:22 am 

Does anyone have a photograph of Susquehanna 142 that I could use my "Surviving World Steam Locomotives" project? Thank you very much in advance. :)

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net