It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Condensor technology...Info needed ASAP.....>>>>
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 1999 12:53 am 

Does anyone have a good source of technical info on steam condensers? I need info quickly for a design contest I'm entering... essentially a hybrid car which part of its propulsion coming from electric engines... A small boiler will scavenge heat from the exhaust and possibly brakes, boiling an as-yet undetermined liquid (something with a lower boiling point than plain water) which will turn a small electric turbine, then travel to a small condenser, to a liquid holding tank, and injected back into the boiler, all controlled by computer. One important question... if a liquid boiled at a lower temperature than water, would the resulting steam have less capacity to do work? <p>Thank you all in advance for your help. <p> -Brian Wowak<br>

wowak@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Steam Condensor technology...Info needed ASAP.....>>>>
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 1999 9:26 am 

Brian:<p>I hope this contest pays well because it sounds like you are designing "the steam car from hell". Electric drive, regenerative braking/cogeneration, computer control- this thing makes the ACE 3000 actually sound simple! :-)<p>For info on condensors for your application, I would suggest trying to find information on Doble steam cars which were built up until about the 1930's in the U.S. Later Stanley Steamers used condensers also.<p>There are fluids (such as some Freons) that have pressure-temperature curves which are better suited than water for closed Rankine cycle applications. Lower temperature boiling doesn't necessarily mean less energy, but it's hard to be water for a working fluid (cheap, non-toxic, and plentiful). <p>You might also look for information on Lear's steam auto projects of the 1970's (of Lear jet fame). GE also looked into steam autos about this time and considered alternative working fluids. <p>Good luck (you'll need it!),<br>Hugh Odom

The Ultimate Steam Page
whodom@awod.com