It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shay Being Exported to Australia--in 2014!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 10,3521906

Quote:
"The Eskbank Locomotive Depot & Museum has concluded final arrangements to purchase a Lima 70 Ton 3 truck shay similar to those that operated on the Wolgan Valley Railway at the turn of the last century.

The hunt to secure a shay locomotive begun almost 5 years ago and has finally concluded with the acquisition of a shay located in California. The locomotive built in 1910 will become the centre piece of an operational display dedicated to the Commonwealth Oil Corporation which built the massive oil shale works at Newnes and the 53 kilometre railway that connected it to the worldwide markets.

Further details will be released in coming weeks on how people can assist the company to restore what will become Australia's only standard gauge shay locomotive."

With the scant details provided I surmise that the locomotive in question could be Brimstone & New River Railroad #35 which last I knew was in Clarksburg Ca. Near Sacramento. I believe it had been listed for sale for quite sometime. Hopefully it will live again down under.

Some discussion involving it in 2004:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8505

2006: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20395

1952 photo: