It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: C&EI caboose preserved?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:54 pm 

Instead of editing my above post another time, I am adding this newer link to a google street view of the Portales NM caboose. It is more recently serving as Aucutt's Paint Store at 604 E 2nd Street in Portales, NM.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.187062,-103.333439,3a,20.1y,143.45h,89.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUSiPpjpsPImeB_xbzD5gdg!2e0

cheers to all,

sc 'doc' lewis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:28 pm 

'Doc' -

Thanks for all the interesting info. The Larry Platt photo album "Cabooses in New Mexico" is especially helpful. As you say, all 3 of the center cupola steel cabooses are shown! I agree with you that Roger Kirkpatrick's list probably had the two Alamogordo caboose locations reversed. And yes, we still don't know for sure about whether these cabooses are actually Chicago & Eastern Illinois. BUT, we may have a good hint on one of them! The caboose shown as being in Portales is listed as being MP 933. MoPac caboose numbers are a pain finding out about. I know that there is a book out about their cabooses, but I don't have it. I think that the MP changed numbers on cabooses at least twice; maybe more times. I did find a website that stated that the railroad in 1937 had a series of cabooses built by Magor and numbered 910-934. If the number on this caboose in Portales is correct, then that particular caboose is NOT ex-C&EI. BTW, this same website states that only one of that particular series of original MP cabooses is still extant; number 1234 (renumbering remember!) and is located in Pueblo, Colorado. So, either that info is not correct OR the number in Mr. Platt's album for this caboose is not correct. I'm starting to get a headache!

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:48 pm 

les:

au contrare (with a grin)

If I am correct in reading your post above regarding the claim of the Pueblo group that their MP-123-4 is the last extant original 1937 Magor-built MP series of cabeese, and the Portales caboose is in fact MP#933, also consider the following:

The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program writes up the history of 1937 Magor-built MP#928. They in fact review the last re-numbering system and how MP#928 was affected.

Quote:
Although the Missouri Pacific undertook a program in the 1970s of upgrading and rebuilding its cabooses, Caboose #928 was actually rebuilt and upgraded in 1969. In addition, as of April 1, 1980, all cabooses were renumbered to reflect the upgrades and for a more uniform numbering system. Under the new system road cabooses were given 13000-series numbers, local service cabooses were given 12000-series numbers, and yard service cabooses were given 11000-series numbers.

It is believed that Caboose #928 was never given a 13000 series number, but it is known that it was renumbered as 12018 and put into local service, likely after it was rebuilt. The caboose was further downgraded later to yard service and given the number 11018, which is visible today. At the same time, the cupola windows were plated over, which remains the case today.

History here:
http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/historic-properties/_search_nomination_popup.aspx?id=2571

Photo here:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1400845
Make note of the comment with the photo that the observer thinks that this is one of the original C&EI six. My question being why could the faint remnant of a 'buzz saw' emblem not be a MoPac 'buzz saw'??

With that we have 'successfully' evolved this thread away from your original intent and I will make this my last input on the matter (but continue to follow future comments). Perhaps someone will be able to stop by the Alamogordo Toy Train Depot and take a closer look.

Take care,

sc 'doc' lewis

P.S. brash, impulsive me...I sent a question to McDonald's Corp. just asking for a 'yes' or 'no' answer as to whether there is/or was a common franchisee for the Las Cruces and Alamogordo locations. May get an answer, may not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 am 

'Doc' -

Thanks for this info on MP #928. Terrific stuff. As for your question about why couldn't the circular herald on the caboose be a MoPac "buzz saw"(?), I found this photo of another member of the class which pretty much confirms your thought:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2383057

Not only does this shot show the MP "buzz saw" herald, but it also points out the crazy numbering revisions. This sister caboose looks much the worse for wear with obvious fire damage around the cupola windows and roof damage on the one end. Cabooses were dangerous places for sure!

Last input on the subject eh? Okay, we shall see.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:10 am 

Okay Les, you win!

The above was not my last input on the subject.

I received a reply back from Caroline at the McDonald's Corp. thanking me for my interest in "one of their 14,000 local restaurants" Specifically from her email response...

Quote:
We also encourage you to visit the location about which you inquired and speak with the store manager for restaurant specific information.

My wife is from El Paso and with there no longer being any family/friends still there, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever be down in that area. Robby Peartree seems to be in the area at times and perhaps could at least take a look at the Las Cruces caboose truck in an attempt to confirm the origin. Or perhaps another RyPN poster would be willing to check out any of the three.

Good Luck in the search.

sc 'doc' lewis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:23 am 

Thanks Doc. Appreciate all your efforts.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 am 

I may be able to help with this in the near future. I grew up in Alamogordo and I am familiar with the locations in question. The original McDonald's was further North than the current one. They had the caboose set up for use as a room for birthday parties. If you look closely in the photo linked in a post above, you can see the HVAC equipment underneath it. I don't know what sort of modifications were made to the interior.

As I recall, the caboose was donated to the Toy Train Depot and moved to its current location at the north end of Alameda Park at the time of the relocation of the restaurant. They apparently decided it wasn't worth the expense and trouble of relocating it during the move.

I will be traveling to Alamogordo for a visit in the next month or so and will try to get a close look at the trucks to see if I can find any original numbers. I suspect that the folks at the Toy Train Depot may have an accurate history of it as well. My two daughters spent many enjoyable hours at the park riding the trains during visits with my father through the years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm 

Russ Fischer wrote:
I may be able to help with this in the near future.

I will be traveling to Alamogordo for a visit in the next month or so and will try to get a close look at the trucks to see if I can find any original numbers. I suspect that the folks at the Toy Train Depot may have an accurate history of it as well. My two daughters spent many enjoyable hours at the park riding the trains during visits with my father through the years.

Russ -

That would be great!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 pm 

I realize this thread is a bit old but I was finally able to get to Alamogordo and take a look at the caboose in question. I was there on a week day and the place was closed so I wasn't able to talk to anyone.

Attachment:
C&EI Info crop.jpg
C&EI Info crop.jpg [ 172.98 KiB | Viewed 8505 times ]

Attachment:
C&EI ID Small.jpg
C&EI ID Small.jpg [ 84.54 KiB | Viewed 8505 times ]

Attachment:
Date Small.jpg
Date Small.jpg [ 87.99 KiB | Viewed 8505 times ]

Both trucks have C&EI and 12-50 cast into them. I wasn't able to find any numbers stenciled on the trucks or underframe.

The interior has been completely gutted and remodeled with restaurant style tables and bench seats. This goes back to its use by McDonalds as a children's party room. Overall it is in pretty decent shape and is in a dry environment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 am 

Russ -

All I can say is "Hallelujah!" Thanks for remembering and for taking the photos to finally confirm that the caboose there in Alamogordo is definitely Chicago & Eastern Illinois. We probably will never find out which one of the six cabooses it was on the C&EI as any road number is probably long gone.

Incidentally, the plaque on the caboose mentioning the Tom E. Daily Foundation grant (which is what started this thread in the first place) has some of its facts wrong. It indicates that Magor cabooses were built for the C&O and later refurbished for the PM, MP and C&EI when in fact, cabooses for these other three roads were actually built new for them. Oh well, they came pretty close to getting it right.

Thanks again Russ, for checking this out. Really appreciate it.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:02 am 

I almost hate to bring up this old thread that I originally started in 2014. BUT, I happened upon a website tonight for existing railroad depots of Missouri. One of these stations is in Turney, Missouri; ex-Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. The depot looks in great shape. But what caught my eye is that there is one of those Magor built center cupola cabooses displayed outside of the structure. I tried to post the photo; no luck. I tried some other venues on the `net; also without success. There is a site called Railroad Preservation Index, but no listing under either the Missouri Pacific or the Chicago & Eastern Illinois for a caboose in Turney. Anyone have any idea as to the origin of this caboose? Is it possible it's ex-C&EI? Turney, Missouri is located to the north of Kansas City, although I'm not sure how far north.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:17 am 

Here's the Google street image from this url: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6359153 ... 328!8i1664

Attachments:
File comment: Turney, Mo. From Google Maps.
Boose.jpg
Boose.jpg [ 73.04 KiB | Viewed 5762 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:40 am 

The local historical society has a facebook page that has this photo of the depot as their profile picture. I messaged them about the caboose, it may take a while for them to respond. https://www.facebook.com/TurneyMissouri ... calSociety

Attachments:
525819_296452670450331_869626928_n.jpg
525819_296452670450331_869626928_n.jpg [ 52.68 KiB | Viewed 5757 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 am 

mldeets -

Thanks for the Google street image photo.

PMC -

Thanks for the photo. Looks as if the caboose steps are different from the Google photo. Hopefully you will eventually hear from the local historical society. I am already impressed with their upkeep of the old depot and the fact that they put back a piece of track in front of the station. Many restorations omit that little detail so that visitors don't get the historical connection of the structure.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:45 pm 

"West one is Southern. I was under impression East one is Burlingtom....So happy of the interest in our depot and our cabooses. Our historical society has worked very hard for the upkeep of both . I have worked very hard getting contributions for the refurbishing of the depot in 2005. Boy scouts have donated time and material for their Eagle Scout badge. There is another caboose on the other side of depot. Please keep in touch. We are only 45 miles North of Kansas City.
My name is Grace, I am the Treasurer of the society."

Is there a way to identify the caboose, i.e. would the road name be stamped on the truck side frames? It sure looks like the caboose in the OP, the windows line up perfectly, and MP donated a lot of cabooses..