It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Announcement Today for St. Louis and Roanoke
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:16 pm 

This morning, on the Museum of Transporataion's ("MOT") Facebook page they announced:

1. FT103 is on its way to Spencer.
2. The DDA40X is heading out soon for a new paint job, supposed to return by Fall
3. Norfolk & Western Y6a 2156 is headed to the Virginia Museum of Transporation ("VMT") in Roanoke for a long-term loan, apparently 4-5 years.

If accurate, this is good news all around. The DDA40X was getting rough looking and was pulled off of public display a few years ago. The FT103 will be a good addition to the event in Spencer, and will be paired with the FTB.

Finally, it's good that the 2156 will garner some exposure in Roanoke and for MOT there, but it will return to the organization that has cared for it since retirement.

Finally, I wonder if a certain blue and gray E8 will be heading to St. Louis soon....

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

Post subject: Re: Big Announcement Today for St. Louis and Roanoke
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 pm 

Accompanying SOU 6900...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3843958

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:53 pm 

That would be very cool for the Y6a, get to excersize her legs, I hope you videographers are there for the move.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 pm 

Fascinating, who'd thought it.

I bet more than a Wabash E8 goes to St.Louis....

ETA

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:00 pm 

Jeff Lisowski wrote:
the Y6 back in Roanoke even if only temporarily is huge!

Is it too much to hope for that the loan might be extended--and that we may have a second compound main line Mallet to run?

(Heads for the bomb shelter under the Greenbriar. . .)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:18 pm 

611 running = yawn.....

2156 running on the other hand..... I might have to shut the "Dismal" off and repent of my internal combustion ways.

This is actually one of the more exciting and sensible things lately. The Wabash E-8 and friend(s) need to be in St.Louis, and the Y6 should be in Roanoke. If someone could figure out a running Y6 that's just all the better.

ETA

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:32 pm 

I guess I'm a bit surprised that the "long-term loan" is mentioned as apparently being 4-5 years. Doesn't seem very long term to me. My opinion only of course.

Les

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
I guess I'm a bit surprised that the "long-term loan" is mentioned as apparently being 4-5 years. Doesn't seem very long term to me. My opinion only of course.

Les

It was a term I used. I think it's long term considering the shorter term equipment visits we are seeing happening these days.

Had I known you would be pendantic about it, I would have chosen another term.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:09 pm 

I volunteer at MoT. I haven't been down there for a while, so this is news to me.

(I do not speak for the Museum of Transportation! Do not take this as anything more than just the opinion of a young restoration volunteer and steam enthusiast!)

However, I, personally, don't think anyone should get their hopes up for N&W #2156 to be restored to operating service. First, #2156 is quite a treasure at MoT, so I'm very confident they wouldn't give her up for good. I'm confident that after #2156's loan is over, she will be back at MoT, and I will be waiting to welcome her back. Second, in my opinion, it wouldn't be very feasible to restore #2156 to operating condition. She would require considerably more extensive maintenance since she is compound locomotive, which would mean it would cost much more to keep her running. Third, she can't run as fast as #1218 or #611 (since she is a compound steam locomotive). Considering that the mainline steam locomotives that do operate have to run at high speeds (70+ m.p.h.), so as not to cause disruptions for the normal trains, I just don't see #2156 ever being run on the mainline under her own power. I love steam locomotives (more so American and Canadian steam locomotives) with a burning passion, but, realistically, I just don't see a chance of that happening. That's my $.02, at least.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 pm 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
Considering that the mainline steam locomotives that do operate have to run at high speeds (70+ m.p.h.), so as not to cause disruptions for the normal trains, I just don't see #2156 ever being run on the mainline under her own power.

You obviously don't know anything about the NS steam program in the post-Great Dismal Swamp era.

What do you do at MOT? In my nine years there before moving out west, I never met you.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:44 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
You obviously don't know anything about the NS steam program in the post-Great Dismal Swamp era.

I am no expert on mainline operations, nor have I ever claimed to be. I said that because, from what I have seen, the steam locomotives that are allowed to run on the mainlines nowadays (UP #844, Milwaukee Road #261, SP #4449, SP&S #700, UP #3985, N&W #611 & #1218, and eventually Big Boy) are generally running at high speeds. I can only imagine that is because they are trying to avoid as little disruptions to normal freight trains as possible. If I'm wrong, I'm open to what someone has to say.

wilkinsd wrote:
What do you do at MOT? In my nine years there before moving out west, I never met you.

I generally help in the restoration shed. I helped out on the restoration of Black Diamond. I still help out of the restoration of Wabash #573, and I have also helped out with the EMD diesel #2002. I only became a volunteer in late summer of 2011. I am one of the youngest volunteers there. It's a shame that we don't really have much of an infusion of new blood there. We really do need more new blood, so the "old hands" can pass on their knowledge, and "tricks of the trade", so that we can continue to upkeep these beautiful old iron horses, the rolling stock, and the rest of the locomotives on the grounds.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:51 pm 

The difference in cost between a compound articulated and simple articulated are so marginal relative to the entire cost as to be a nonissue. Let's remove our foam goggles and consider whether there's a good reason why it would attract NS sponsorship for restoration for service relative to, say, 1218, assuming there's a need by them to run a locomotive of that size and configuration at all, which given the fleet they are
already working on is by no means a given. Answer the business question and you can then know whether or not any other questions are worth considering at all.

dave

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:57 pm 

Dave wrote:
The difference in cost between a compound articulated and simple articulated are so marginal relative to the entire cost as to be a nonissue.

I am always learning more and more about steam locomotives, but I never claim to be an expert. From my perspective, it would look like a compound steam locomotive would require more maintenance than a simple articulated. However, I still have quite a bit to learn about steam locomotives, so maybe the difference isn't as big as I originally thought.

All that being said, you make some good points.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:06 pm 

That would be awesome if the 2156 were someday restored.
She belongs in Roanoke -- that is her birthplace. I very much
hope that she gets to stay there permanently.

I also hope that someone does a live webcam feed of the
move from St. Louis to Roanoke.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:29 am 

To the man from MOT: NS steam program rules have a top speed of 40 mph since the 1986 Great Dismal Swamp Wreck. On the topic of full blown operational restoration: It's definitely doable. Take a look at Western Maryland Scenic. They're restoring a mallet, minus 2 axles compared to the Y6a, that can be put into simple or compound by just the turn of a valve. However, some group would have to come forward that would want to take on that task with MOT's blessing, as you know from experience with the Frisco 1522. Would it be cool to see? You bet! But there would have to be a lot of hoops jumped through before that dream even came close to reality. A Big Boy is getting a 2nd career. Let's get all 3 big N&W classes running!!!!