It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WP&Y 195 and 250's... seeking further research materials.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:21 pm 

While doing research yesterday at the Yukon Archives, I found the engine house registers and the dates of initial assignments for the K-28's and 190's. Beyond that, mechanical records are fairly limited beyond a few accident reports and expense reports. My question is, is there anyone out there who can furnish more information or lead me to other sources of historical records for the railroad? I'm looking for additional shop registry, mechanical dept. records of engines being pulled from service, etc. The Whitehorse and Skagway shops both burned, which I believe took many records, but individuals may have more information.

The engine house record only goes from fall of 1942 til mid-summer 1943, right when all of the Army service locomotives were put into service. Does anyone have records of:

Shipping dates for locomotives.

Army railway standard practice.

Information on an engine that was sunk? I've heard of this but haven't seen anything official. I believe it was the 253.

What K-28 numbers correspond with the Army re-numbering.

Why were the 194, 197, 198, 199, and 200 removed from service before the others? I have a copy of a letter requesting to retain the other engines.

Any documentation on converting the 190's to 42" drivers. This was also noted in a shop letter. I would like further information.

Retirement dates for and/or general service life at the White Pass during the 1940's to 1953.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you might provide. The City of Skagway has started to cosmetically restore the 195 and we're trying to compile as much information as possible.